Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite Knifes: Force required to cut line.
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 22, 08 5:35 pm    Kite Knifes: Force required to cut line. Reply with quote

I hurt my back yesterday, so I'm off the water for a few days. Got bored, so I ran some tests with my force gauge. Pretty damn eye opening. I used two knifes: a standard single bladed hook knife that comes with most harnesses, and a "Captain Hook" double bladed hook knife. Tests were done with a force gauge on a test bed. Q-line and 800 pound spectra were cut.

Here's the results:
SINGLE BLADE HOOK KNIFE
Q-LINE FORCE REQUIRED - 58 POUNDS
800 POUND SPECTRA FORCE REQUIRED - 184 POUNDS!!!!! : Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

DOUBLE BLADE HOOK KNIFE
Q-LINE FORCE REQUIRED - 2 POUNDS
800 POUND SPECTRA FORCE REQUIRED - 2.5 POUNDS

Needless to say, I'm ordering a couple of more Captain Hook knifes, and immediately throwing out all of my single blade hook knifes! I don't want to get into a brand thing here, and there are other dual blade hook knifes. But, there ain't no damn way you're going to cut 800 pound lines, in the water, in an emergency, with a single blade hook knife! I thought this was pretty important to pass on right away.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Jul 22, 08 5:43 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your back.
Can u post some pics of the two knives used?

Great info Mike!

www.naishkites.com

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 22, 08 5:44 pm     Reply with quote

dude, post some links. I want some of that capt. hook action.

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostTue Jul 22, 08 5:49 pm     Reply with quote

wow, you're so productive when you're board. nice work.
yeah post pics or links to the models.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 22, 08 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

Not pimping... just the first link google came with:
http://www.kitesurfari.com/store/capthook.html

I have one of these, but I'm noticing some corrosion right at the business end after 1 year of mainly salt water fun. I guess it's just one more thing to rinse off at days end.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 22, 08 6:14 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the thought on the back Mark. Very Happy I think I'll be fine in a day or two...

Here's the pics. The Captain Hook knife is available locally at a couple of different shops. I'd pick one up there. Also, NSI sells them. I tested a third knife, also a double blade hook knife. This one comes standard with a certain brand of harness... Anyway, 7 pounds to cut Q-line and 11.5 pounds to cut 800 pound spectra. Very acceptable.

Of the three knives, only the Captain Hook had been in the water. It's seen a few sessions of salt water, and a lot of fresh water. The other two knifes were brand new. The single bladed hook knife showed significant damage to the blade after cutting the spectra. I think the next cut would take a lot more force...

Captain Hook
 Captain Hook  Captain Hook .jpg 
Other Double Bladed Knife
 Other Double Bladed Knife  Other Double Blade Hook Knife .jpg 
Single Blade Hook Knife
 Single Blade Hook Knife  Single blade hook knife .JPG 

Last edited by Nak on Tue Jul 22, 08 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diggy

Since 25 Nov 2006
342 Posts
Gorge to Coast
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 22, 08 6:15 pm     Reply with quote

Great information! Thanks.

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 22, 08 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

This one works way faster......... Shocked

bxp63397.jpg 

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Jul 22, 08 6:59 pm     Reply with quote

Cool info, Mike! Now we need to see what it takes to cut the nylon fishing net rope... When I lost my kite the other week at Stevenson, my bar caught around one of the buoys downwind. Made my kite do a few huge power loops, but after a couple tows by Ken, I got it untangled. At the time, I was wondering how bad it'd be to cut the rope (though I'd probably never actually do it). Laughing

jsj

Since 11 Sep 2006
83 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Jul 22, 08 7:49 pm     Reply with quote

interesting test; did you have any tension on the lines when you did the tests or were they just looped over the knife?

State of stress in the fibers might have an effect - I know when I'm cutting kite line if I don't have a hot razor I'll put the line in tension to make it easier.

$0.02

jsj

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 22, 08 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

jsj wrote:
interesting test; did you have any tension on the lines when you did the tests or were they just looped over the knife?

State of stress in the fibers might have an effect - I know when I'm cutting kite line if I don't have a hot razor I'll put the line in tension to make it easier.

$0.02

jsj

Great question.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 22, 08 8:57 pm     Reply with quote

The only tension on the lines was that applied by the knife. In the case of the single bladed knife, that was a LOT of tension! Very Happy I wanted to test worst case scenario, and the lines you have to cut may not have tension on them.

I just tried rigging the lines under tension, but due to the geometry of my test bench I was unable to actually measure the results. (I could set it up so, but it would be more work than I really want to do. Very Happy ) Results seemed to be similar. Getting the Captain Hook knife anywhere near, like within 6 inches, a kite line under tension resulted in a cut line. Wink Seriously, it went through the line like it wasn't there. I was unable to cut the 800 pound spectra with the single bladed knife with this setup. The blade was damaged by the previous cut, but that is real world too, I think. If you have to cut one line, you'll probably have to cut more. Also, I was holding the knife instead of having it rigged to a test bench. It's damn hard to apply that much force with the little handle...

The negative to the double bladed hook knifes is that the size of what you can cut is limited. Mark has the right idea carrying a diving knife as well. Thumb's Up

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 23, 08 6:41 am     Reply with quote

Here is a link to a detailed discussion of almost all aspects of kite hook-knives, for those who want more details:

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2343820&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=kite+knife

For those who want the short version...just follow Nak's advice, and get a double bladed hook knife.

Here is a picture of the line cutting test device that I have been using to test and monitor the cutting ability of my own hook-knife, along with 5 other types of hook knives. My test results have been in harmony with that of Nak.

kf-test device-active..2.JPG 

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed Jul 23, 08 7:03 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Mark has the right idea carrying a diving knife as well. Thumb's Up

Would a regular knife be any different than a single hook knife when it come to the force needed to cut 800 lbs line? Other than you can cut bigger rope since it is an exposed blade? You would still need to apply the same amount of force correct? Just currious.

Very interesting test results. Hope your back feels better.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 23, 08 7:28 am     Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:

Would a regular knife be any different than a single hook knife when it come to the force needed to cut 800 lbs line? Other than you can cut bigger rope since it is an exposed blade? You would still need to apply the same amount of force correct? Just currious.

Very interesting test results. Hope your back feels better.

Thanks Trevor! It's a lot better today, I'm hoping to be back on the water tomorrow. (Probably stupid to push it so soon. Oh well... Very Happy )

I tried it with a sharp fillet knife. straight line force was 38 pounds to cut the Spectra. With a slicing motion that was reduced to 14 pounds. I think that the problem with the single blade hook knife is that the line gets jammed up against the blunt surface. In the USAF we carried a hook knife that had a spring loaded straight blade as well. If the hook knife wasn't working, spin the knife around and press the button. Probably the ideal solution; too bad switchblades aren't legal.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 23, 08 7:35 am     Reply with quote

Kitezilla, very interesting rig you have set up! The orange knife in the picture, which knife is that? The large throat on the hook should allow it to cut pretty large line...

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Jul 23, 08 9:16 am    dive knife Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the dive knife I use. It has a line cutter "hook" as well as a serrated section. It clips into the sheath and can be removed by pressing both "blue" sides of handle at once.

clips to my harness. Decided to carry it when the fishermen strung a net out from Stevenson....

knife.jpg 

www.naishkites.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: