Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kitemare Sherman Island
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri Aug 08, 08 10:55 am    Kitemare Sherman Island Reply with quote

He is going to be ok but has a long road ahead. Becareful out there everyone. It's a long read but its worth the time if you have a few min.

If you use a board leash you should check it out for sure. Time to get rid of those things.

http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/viewtopic.php?p=39439#39439

My thoughts are with Matt and his family, get better fast!

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri Aug 08, 08 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Here is a good sum of what happened

Quote:
I've been going over every detail of the event and strongly feel that the one thing that ultimately lead up to this accident was him having to manage his damn board leash. If he had released it before landing like Fred stated this incident may never had happend, but him having to deal with it on shore in those conditions created a distraction from managing other issues at hand.

Fred said he was correcting his kite when he got lofted, I saw, what looked like to me, him accidently popping his CL release and the evidence of his CL being partially release, but still attached upon recoving his gear makes me believe that this is what happened. One of the first things we did was to try to detach his CL when we got to him. I observed them pulling on the release, but it was already in the open position.

When the paramedics rolled him onto the backboard I retrieve his cut up suit and harness and I notice immediately that the CL was still partially attached to the hook. There was also some webbing from a very long board leash that was tangled around the CL area, which makes me believe that the CL may not have fully released because it got got jammed up on the webbing. This is a speculation on my part, but all of the evidence does support this as the possible cause of why he was still attached. I brought it to the attention of Nat with Edge and several others that were present.

Because we couldn't detach the CL from him they actually ending up cutting his depower lines to detach him from the kite. Later Nat and I observed the cut trim straps were of equal lenth and in the powered postion. This was strange because he should of been trimmed in nearly, if not, all the way during those conditions with a 12m kite. This was another piece of evidence that indicated that he was over powered and at risk. FYI the control system was the new Naish SLE system for '08.

Bottom line is this accident is not something that we need to debate over. Either way he was still attached to the kite and I truely believe it was a panic reaction on his part to grab the bar tight with intentions to control the kite. The result of powering up the kite and the added factors of kite size, kite postion and the strond winds all contributed to this awful accident. If he would of just let go of the bar he may have completely avoided the accident or it may not have been so violent... i.e. dragged vs. launched. The depower system in the new generation kites would of eventually brought the kite down, which in this case it did, once he had already hit the ground and was no longer holding onto the bar.

He did start his session on a downwinder from Kitopia with the correct kite for the conditons (high teens to low twenties). Nat said he was looking great and handling the kite just fine. It wasn't until he came up on the beach when Fred and I noticed that he was having some issues with his board leash. I also noticed he was on a big kite for the conditions and I was concerned on his ability to manage the kite. Someone else had just come in before him with some difficulties managing a 12m kite, so I was already on guard. I saw the kite pull up in his hand and his reaction was grabbing the bar with both hands while still leashed to his board. He actually ran up onto the beach towards the kite still attached to his board as the kite started to pull. Then he was yanked over 20+ feet into the air and hit the sand bank 50+ feet from shore then bounced another 20+ feet and hit again where he ended up crashing permanently.

This was the worst kiting accident that I've ever witnessed and I hope not to see another anytime soon. I'm so very happy that he was not killed. I hope he has a rapid recovery and continues to kite in the future. Lets all try our best to keep Sherman helicopter free!

Quote:
Matt is my cousin, I went and spent the day with Matt yesterday. He is in the Neuro ICU and doing better than I expected. He is not moving the left side of his body (arm and leg). He still has a lot of swelling and his left eye is swollen shut. He is moving his right arm and leg. He is still on a ventilator and still pretty sedated. He went in for is third surgery on his left leg yesterday. He shattered his left femur and now has a rod in his leg. They were concerned about infection from the Delta waters but there is no infection.

He has a pelvic fracture and multiple facial fractures; Nose broken, septum deviated. Septum; Hairline fractures on pubic bone, S-1 (vertebrae/tailbone) acetabulum (top of hip). He has multiple contusions (bruises) in brain, frontal lobe, parietal lobe (over ears). “Screen” put into vein in left leg today stop any clot pieces from going to lung, or anywhere else.

We are praying everyday that he has a full recovery; and hopefully when the swelling in his brain reduces he will start moving his left side of his body.

I will post updates as he improves.

Diggy

Since 25 Nov 2006
342 Posts
Gorge to Coast
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 08, 08 11:52 am     Reply with quote

Very sad Crying or Very sad

Hopefully he has a fast and full recovery.

I read the thread on the Bay Area Site and it seems like a number of conditions added up, but the board leash played a part in the situation.

One thing I noticed is that in the thread is that there were many positive posts about the OR Go-Joe. In my time using the Go-Joe it was effective and helpful, saving my board once, and you still get to practice body dragging. I think it would be good to avoid the negativity towards the Go-Joe and promote it as a positive substitute to a board leash.

wjb

Since 14 Aug 2007
223 Posts
Nor Cal
Stoked

PostFri Aug 08, 08 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

A leash is not going to be less kooky than a go joe. If you had to choose between the two you would certainly get more respect for not having a leash.

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostFri Aug 08, 08 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

with apologies, I don't understand what happened, or how the leashwas involved. anyone care to explain briefly. I did read the post, but i guess I'm an idiot. what's a CL Embarassed

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Aug 08, 08 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

A tragic story and one that many beginners should read (especially the ones that thing depowering bows are the answer to every potential hazard). THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A ONE KITE QUIVER!!

It only takes a couple mistakes to end up in a disastrous, life changing event. pins and screw in the leg, induced coma, permanent brain damage, best wishes to his recovery.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostFri Aug 08, 08 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

kyle.vh wrote:
with apologies, I don't understand what happened, or how the leashwas involved. anyone care to explain briefly. I did read the post, but i guess I'm an idiot. what's a CL Embarassed

I've been going over every detail of the event and strongly feel that the one thing that ultimately lead up to this accident was him having to manage his damn board leash. If he had released it before landing like Fred stated this incident may never had happend, but him having to deal with it on shore in those conditions created a distraction from managing other issues at hand.

Fred said he was correcting his kite when he got lofted, I saw, what looked like to me, him accidently popping his CL release and the evidence of his CL being partially release, but still attached upon recoving his gear makes me believe that this is what happened. One of the first things we did was to try to detach his CL when we got to him. I observed them pulling on the release, but it was already in the open position.

When the paramedics rolled him onto the backboard I retrieve his cut up suit and harness and I notice immediately that the CL was still partially attached to the hook. There was also some webbing from a very long board leash that was tangled around the CL area, which makes me believe that the CL may not have fully released because it got got jammed up on the webbing. This is a speculation on my part, but all of the evidence does support this as the possible cause of why he was still attached. I brought it to the attention of Nat with Edge and several others that were present.

Because we couldn't detach the CL from him they actually ending up cutting his depower lines to detach him from the kite. Later Nat and I observed the cut trim straps were of equal lenth and in the powered postion. This was strange because he should of been trimmed in nearly, if not, all the way during those conditions with a 12m kite. This was another piece of evidence that indicated that he was over powered and at risk. FYI the control system was the new Naish SLE system for '08.

Bottom line is this accident is not something that we need to debate over. Either way he was still attached to the kite and I truely believe it was a panic reaction on his part to grab the bar tight with intentions to control the kite. The result of powering up the kite and the added factors of kite size, kite postion and the strond winds all contributed to this awful accident. If he would of just let go of the bar he may have completely avoided the accident or it may not have been so violent... i.e. dragged vs. launched. The depower system in the new generation kites would of eventually brought the kite down, which in this case it did, once he had already hit the ground and was no longer holding onto the bar.

He did start his session on a downwinder from Kitopia with the correct kite for the conditons (high teens to low twenties). Nat said he was looking great and handling the kite just fine. It wasn't until he came up on the beach when Fred and I noticed that he was having some issues with his board leash. I also noticed he was on a big kite for the conditions and I was concerned on his ability to manage the kite. Someone else had just come in before him with some difficulties managing a 12m kite, so I was already on guard. I saw the kite pull up in his hand and his reaction was grabbing the bar with both hands while still leashed to his board. He actually ran up onto the beach towards the kite still attached to his board as the kite started to pull. Then he was yanked over 20+ feet into the air and hit the sand bank 50+ feet from shore then bounced another 20+ feet and hit again where he ended up crashing permanently.

This was the worst kiting accident that I've ever witnessed and I hope not to see another anytime soon. I'm so very happy that he was not killed. I hope he has a rapid recovery and continues to kite in the future. Lets all try our best to keep Sherman helicopter free!

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostFri Aug 08, 08 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

oh, I see now.
Looks like the guy was on a 12m kite in 30-35pm winds with kite parked a 12, and he unhooked, so the kite powered up, and he hung on, which lofted a dropped him. I guess it's not clear how a leash added to the problem--but I'm sure it wasn't helping.
I think the overpowered+unhooked+lack of experience to let go is what cause the accident.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri Aug 08, 08 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah it seemed like there were several errors, here's what I picked up from reading the post:

-Too big of kite for conditions
-Not paying attention to the kite because he was distracted by the board/leash trying to pull it towards him. He was only flying the kite one handed.
-Leash webbing wrapped around the CL (chicken loop) which prevented it from releasing all the way. The medics had to cut the CL off of him because the leash was wrapped to bad
-Pulled in on the bar instead of pushing it away from him.

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostFri Aug 08, 08 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

Bettyboarder wrote:

-Leash webbing wrapped around the CL (chicken loop) which prevented it from releasing all the way. The medics had to cut the CL off of him because the leash was wrapped to bad

Oh. Geez, I read the link for like 10 minutes but missed that. Damn, that is scary.
Man, the other day, I launched my kite in high winds, and one of the rear lines was caught on the stopperball (not sure how). So, the kite went into a death spiral. It was intense. Kookiest thing I've ever done, and I was thinking that I was being safe...

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 08, 08 1:03 pm     Reply with quote

12m in 30+ wind? Do some people just not have any common sense? Confused

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostFri Aug 08, 08 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

shit.

wjb

Since 14 Aug 2007
223 Posts
Nor Cal
Stoked

PostFri Aug 08, 08 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

He was doing a 3 mile downwinder. When he launched the 12m it was the right size for the conditions. During his trip downwind the wind jacked up thus the problems. His best course of action would have been to self rescue while still in deep water and not try land at the beach totally lit.

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 08, 08 1:18 pm     Reply with quote

wjb wrote:
Quote:

He was doing a 3 mile downwinder. When he launched the 12m it was the right size for the conditions. During his trip downwind the wind jacked up thus the problems. His best course of action would have been to self rescue while still in deep water and not try land at the beach totally lit.

OK, that makes a little more sense... get well soon man...

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostFri Aug 08, 08 2:59 pm     Reply with quote

sounds like the blowout...

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostFri Aug 08, 08 6:53 pm    Man that is so scary!! Reply with quote

Prayers

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostFri Aug 08, 08 9:06 pm     Reply with quote

HERE IS HOW THE BOARD LEASH WAS INVOLVED:
Quote:
Then the guy tried once again to pull his board towards him (he was still in the water) with one hand on the bar. The kite started to steer strongly to the right. When he suddenly realized that, he pulled strongly left and then he took off big time!!!

He passed just next to my wife and then the board went at rocket speed 1 foot above my daughter’s head. I have to admit that I was very scared seeing this… Then the guy flew high in the air gliding for 50 feet. I saw him landing hard legs first and then bouncing 2 times.

Get rid of the BOARD LEASHES Evil or Very Mad ! I don't care if you hurt yourself, but when you start decapitating innocent bystanders you are WAY out of line.

KidCorporate wrote:

Today at Stevenson there was a nearly identical setup to a similar scenario. Everybody was on 6m and 7m kites, the wind was a gusty 25-35 and some guy launches (a sketchy launch to begin with) a 12m "bow kite". I saw this after I had read about the aforementioned incident and couldn't help but fear a similar tragedy. To top it off, he had a board leash as well.

I don't understand why people use such big kites. Pick your kite for the wind conditions. Don't pick it for the potential lull. If the wind gets light, LEARN HOW TO DO POWER STROKES so you can keep riding. Bow kites are not a license to rig big. That defeats the whole purpose. If you can ride a 7m, ride a 7m. if the wind dies down a bit, sine it up and down and then go back to shore and get a bigger kite.

I can ride my 7m in 17mph when everybody else is on 13m kites. I seriously don't understand it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: