Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Fees for boating - Oregon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
332 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Jan 28, 19 1:20 pm    Fees for boating - Oregon Reply with quote

I do not know how this would affect kiting, but it will effect SUP's.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2019/01/24/oregon-marine-board-raft-kayak-fees-increase-new-plan/2650720002/

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
1910 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jan 28, 19 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

10' or longer.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
353 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jan 28, 19 6:09 pm     Reply with quote

tinyE wrote:
10' or longer.

For now.

Those of us who worked to out the idiocy of the last iteration of this bill (operating in the red the first year, most of the revenue going to enforce an unneeded/non-benificial law each year after) were aware this tactic would be needed to pass such legislation in the future. It is divide & conquer.

The last time around, all of the affected user groups made their voice heard loud and clear. Only a few "shill" organizations, one of which could be linked to a lucrative "no bid" contract should the bill pass, were in favor of it.

The new strategy is to target/exclude certain groups who would normally ban together to fight this. Once a weaker group has been forced to abide by the law, that subjugated group will be very much in favor of previously excluded groups sharing in their misery.

This is textbook strategy to generate a revenue stream by getting a worthless law put in place from a state that has a history of operating in the red. Kiteboarders, windsurfers, and any other seemingly (currently) unaffected water user group, should stand with those groups targeted by this law. If you don't, they won't stand up for you when you get written in on the last ammendment before it's passage.

tkaraszewski

Since 21 Oct 2016
27 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Jan 29, 19 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

Does this change anything at all for my 23' sailboat? I hate these things, they're never even clear what they cover. It sounds like this is aimed at kayaks, but sailboat is also "non-motorized".

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
370 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 29, 19 5:57 pm     Reply with quote

I'm in favor of an oregon government shutdown. Quickest trip ever through customs saturday at pdx. One guy pointing at the exit. No one else in the room
That's efficiency.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
204 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostThu Jan 31, 19 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Occupied Columbia wrote:
I'm in favor of an oregon government shutdown. Quickest trip ever through customs saturday at pdx. One guy pointing at the exit. No one else in the room
That's efficiency.

Where did you fly in from?

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
370 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 31, 19 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

dwaynej wrote:
Occupied Columbia wrote:
That's efficiency.

Where did you fly in from?

Cabo. The week before flew bangkok to hong kong to vancouver bc to pdx and did U.S. customs in b.c.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
612 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Jan 31, 19 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
Those of us who worked to out the idiocy of the last iteration of this bill (operating in the red the first year, most of the revenue going to enforce an unneeded/non-benificial law each year after) were aware this tactic would be needed to pass such legislation in the future.

The idiocy behind the idiocy is all of the voters that keep voting in the same officials that are eager to tax more and encroach further into our personal freedoms.

I wonder how many people think this is wrong, but cant seem to connect their voting choices to this result.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
322 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 31, 19 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

The majority of WA and OR voters love paying taxes and they love having fees. They also love their representatives!! That’s why they vote the way they do. I'm an independent and it’s the price we pay for living in this state.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
353 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Feb 01, 19 4:10 pm     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:

I wonder how many people think this is wrong, but cant seem to connect their voting choices to this result.

They can't even find a representative to sponsor this bill because it is so stupid. When one is finally selected, by drawing the short straw, it will likely be a politician would is ready to retire (not up for reelection).

But the real dirty dealings are done by the shill organizations who have some tie to the issue. Those are the ones to watch. And if you happen to be a member of one of those groups, make your voice heard. Don't let your membership dues be used for this.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
353 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Feb 06, 19 5:11 pm     Reply with quote

Here is the Senate Bill as introduced so far. Remember that the last one went through a few revisions that changed some key words and terms to cast a larger net. That larger net eventually included many more water users, just by changing a term from "State Waters" to "Waters of this State".

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB47/Introduced

Regardless of your like or dislike for this bill, please keep a close eye on it for mutations that would make it a destructive force in your, and others outdoor enjoyment. Should a state senator or outdoor organization show support for this bill, dig deeper and ask why. Contacting them with your concerns will help to get the average water user's voice heard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: