Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Windsurfing Death at Stevenson Dec 7th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Dec 08, 18 11:26 am    Windsurfing Death at Stevenson Dec 7th Reply with quote

Just in

https://www.kptv.com/news/missing-windsurfer-s-body-found-along-columbia-river-near-stevenson/article_bbd7cbae-fa7b-11e8-8132-2fd97cd2b66c.html

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostSat Dec 08, 18 3:49 pm    so sad Reply with quote

R.I.P. Laura Green. Such a warm, lovely spirit of adventure and a bad ass ripper. Long time member of the Stevenson Polar bear club of windsurfers. Your beautiful smile will be missed at the launch. Condolences to John and family members.

May you forever shred celestial mountains and waves.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Dec 08, 18 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

Laura Green - official badass windsurfer, kitesurfer, teleskier, dancer and so much much more. She will be missed.

She was an athlete who one could easily be intimidated by yet she was approachable and always gracious. She was a host and ambassador for the active sport Gorge life. She inspired and challenged us in her quiet yet powerful way.

A.K.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Dec 08, 18 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

Very sad to hear this news of Laura's death, it breaks my heart when someone is taken early while still living large. I shared many a session with her and John at multiple spots here along the central Oregon coast as they were both regular attendees on some of the best days. She was always ready to charge no matter what the ocean was throwing at us on many great days. My condolences to John as the deepest loss will be his.

RIP Laura Green, you will be missed...

Crying or Very sad

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
142 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Dec 09, 18 7:31 am    Wonder Woman Gone Reply with quote

Wow, really hard for me to choke back the tears right now. SO fitting I'm following one of my best buddys in this post(Windian), as he also understands the heart and soul of that incredible woman! We've charged out together in all conditions. She was always up for the challenge, was always willing to go, had total respect for nature, it's power, it's beauty and it's intoxicating adrenalizing effects. She was there at 3 mile 10 yrs ago when Jeff Young didn't make it back in 60 knots, she knew the risks, she accepted them, embraced them. She'll rest in peace for sure! What a great life/person/human being. John, you're such a lucky guy, we love you. We will really miss this one of a kind person. Inflictor

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Dec 09, 18 11:25 pm     Reply with quote

Laura - I will miss kiting with you.
John - So sad. I'm very sorry for your loss.

You two have been an inspiration to me throughout the years. Laura was a very competent water sports person who lived life to it's fullest.

The only solace I have in this tragic event is that Laura went out doing what she loved. May we all be so lucky.

MCD

Since 24 Feb 2014
42 Posts

PostMon Dec 10, 18 11:01 am    Windsurfing death at Stevenson December 7th Reply with quote

Laura is the kindest friend and her wisdom, safety, and experience have been an inspiration for me especially in the last three years. She has advised me not to go out several times and been right. Her death is a great blow. Knowing her so well, she is the least likely to have made an error in judgement. We are all aware of our own mortality and I must say that what happened last week is very unlikely to have been poor judgement but serves as a reminder that it can happen to anyone. I also feel that to pass while doing what you love is a good death. My love goes out to John. One love.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Dec 10, 18 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
Laura - I will miss kiting with you.
John - So sad. I'm very sorry for your loss.

You two have been an inspiration to me throughout the years. Laura was a very competent water sports person who lived life to it's fullest.

The only solace I have in this tragic event is that Laura went out doing what she loved. May we all be so lucky.

All true words. At least she passed doing what she loved.

That doesn't make it any easier for her husband, John. My condolences, John.

I've had the pleasure of doing a few downwinders with them in the past summers at Lot B as well as the occasional post session chat down at the Central OR coast.

RIP Laura.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Dec 11, 18 8:37 am     Reply with quote

Laura was an outdoors superhero.

Most all discussions with or about Laura always seem to involve mutant-like ability levels for enjoying, likely, the worst or most extreme of conditions, whether it be on the mountain or in the water.
This type of personality could be miss-understood as extreme or intense, but from what I got to know of Laura, I think she just viewed these as daily activities that she just basically liked to do.
My heart goes out to her husband John. It's a terrible loss for him and for us, but as many others have commented, she lived a life full and passed doing what she loved.

www.Purestokesports.com

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Feb 06, 19 3:52 pm     Reply with quote

If you didn't know Laura here is an excellent snapshot of her work / passion. Such a loss of a fantastic and diverse person. RIP LG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30qKsYx1IA4

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostFri Feb 08, 19 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for posting sella!

RIP laura.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: