Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Random air flight baggage ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostSat Apr 30, 16 4:49 pm    Random air flight baggage ? Reply with quote

So I am not bringing any boards to my trip back to Hawaii but I am bringing the Dakine coffin bag. Are people just getting charged over size luggage when they bring a board with them? I know it's a size thing but never had a problem as long as they assumed it was other gear. Thanks for any input..

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Apr 30, 16 6:45 pm    Delta Reply with quote

I flew delta outbound from PDX the other day with NSI "Golf" bag. I didn't have a board in there but the curbside skycap was cool and knew exactly what was going on. No extra charge though a decent tip was given.

He told me some stories about people packing their windsurf gear to travel to HI. He said he started telling people who do that they should start kiting but he said they don't usually laugh...

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostSun May 01, 16 5:15 am    Maui Baggage Charges Reply with quote

I think you would still get charged if you use the golf bag. The check in folks at OGG are very aware. The "curbside" approach doesn't work there due to the fact that the agents don't work for the airlines, they help with the bags - but they need to get past the people at the counter. If you are not taking any boards, then get the biggest normal suitcase and use that for your gear.

I got hit for 150 coming back last spring. Other airlines might have been better, but if your not taking any boards - better not to deal with it

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostSun May 01, 16 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Thanks you guys for the advice! Was going to bring the kite bag with kite and scuba gear but not doing it. I like the idea of the larger suitcase cause no doubt rather get charged a measly bag fee then the over sized rip you off luggage fee. Thanks again for the heads up, airline baggage fees can be vicious.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: