Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ocean rodeo storm/ flexifoil Storm chaser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
mlwahler

Since 28 Dec 2007
174 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Feb 20, 16 6:04 pm    Ocean rodeo storm/ flexifoil Storm chaser Reply with quote

Any try any of these. I'm looking for a crazy high wind kite... I'm 6'2 210... Currently 7 is my smallest.. I was gonna get a 5m then I saw these "storm" specific high wind kites..

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSun Feb 21, 16 8:45 am     Reply with quote

I have been flying the Storm kite ever since OR came out with it. I use it in the 45-55mph range in Turnagain Arm. Those winds plus the 8kt current keeps me well powered at 224lb. The kite is solid. The only issue I have ever had is that it flies forward in the window and after gusts lofts back then punches forward again when the wind comes back.

Construction is pretty tough it will last a long time.

www.freeridekiting.com

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSun Feb 21, 16 1:38 pm    Kiteboarding Turnagain - 50mph Reply with quote

Storm kiting is survival kiting - small kites move quick.

https://vimeo.com/156184749

Last summer, or the summer before.. Its just for reference

www.freeridekiting.com

PistolPete

Since 26 Apr 2010
16 Posts

PostMon Feb 22, 16 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

Before very high wind kiting I used my 2010 Crossbow 7m kite for strong winds as it has 7 struts that makes it rigid/heavy/solid but I did find the top end a few times. So I got a 2009 Switchblade 4m kite. Great handling kite for high winds, like flying a 2 line stunt kite it zips around so quick even on the puny 40cm bar. But at 190#s and 20+#s of wet gear on, plowing over high wind waves the 4m SB did not have enough power for me. Under heavy loading one side of the small sized leading edge tips would fold on the 4m SB. I tried pumping it super hard and using a larger Mako King board but I could still sometimes fold the small leading edge tips. The 4m SB would be a great kite for a lighter person, it handles so easy.

This led me to get a 2015 Storm 5m kite with the overbuild features and full size leading edge. High winds usually come with high gusts, and high wind gusts can yank you around pretty good. I did notice like ErraticAKn mentioned, flying the kite on the beach it sometimes fell back after gusts. One time it fell deep into the window and I tossed the bar out and sat on the ground with both hands on the QR till it landed. Stuff happens really quick in high winds! I was able to re-launch but I am even more super aware/cautious in these conditions.

I did not have the 5m Storm kite fall back while on the water. I suspect the wind is less gusty on the water than where I launch from. The kite has plenty of power and great depower. I have been using my 7m IDS 45cm bar because it is a dual frontline safety setup. Turning with this setup is slower than I like even in high wind. I notice the OR bars are bigger at 52cm across.

I also am not a fan of 2 line safety because my 7m Crossbow flies upside-down with some pull. I really wanted to have a clean reliable safety, especially for high winds. I found this information: http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2389089&hilit=storm+rodeo&start=20. So I made a Y-connection bridle on the kite for a no-load 5th line. My first design had 6’ long Y-legs but it looked like it could tangle with the other lines/pulleys if the kite gets rolled. So I re-made the Y-legs about 3’ to reduce the possibility of any line slack/cross-over tangle. I set this up on a 50cm bar with 20m lines. I tested it in 30mph winds and it works fine, but similar to the 2 line safety it flies upside-down. The front line bridle has a pulley so using a dual front line safety will pull at more/wider points on the kite than the 2-point my 5th line Y does. I have yet to ride it in high winds with the no-load 5th line. I wonder if the small 5th line drag at the center of the leading edge will have any noticeable effects. I did notice the steering improved in my test. Probably some from a 5cm longer bar and some from 4m shorter lines. Later, I also made a 55cm bar, 24m lines, and no-load 5th line setup for the next time I get a 30mph test session. Hoping this gives more window to play with and good steering.

I would recommend getting a 5m Storm for high winds if you are a normal or large sized guy. It’s well built, and flies great in sketchy conditions. If you don’t want to build/test/repeat your own bar/lines, get the OR bar.

Update:
The setup… I got a chance to try out the 55cm bar with 24m (80’) lines. The 5th line with a 12”+ of slack measured out to 28m (91’). With all 5 lines stretched out together and depower strap out, all 4 lines are equal and 5th line is 64” beyond the bar when pulled thru. I also made some longer pigtails with 6 knots spaced 2” apart on the outside lines for adjustments. I should note the wingtips have 3 attachment points on the kite for tuning turning speeds. I kept it attached to the outer most attachments for the quickest turning.

The results… Wind blowing in the mid 20s, I tried 5 of the pigtail knots and found where it was set the best. By shortening the outside lines with a knot too near the kite, the kite did not fully sheet out. Too long and the steering gets a little sloppy and even worse if I needed to use the depower strap. I found 2 knots that worked good so I labeled the shorter length knot “High Winds” (less sheeted out) and the longer knot “Very High Winds” (a little more sheeted out). Again the difference is only about 2”.

The kite reacts quickly and turns smoothly. The bar/line length combo is good. The 5th line did not cause any drag/pull issues and I could pull it 12” before it would get tighter and I had to pull it even more/harder before I could notice any effect on the kite. With the longer lines (24m vs 20m) and quick turn setup I may be able to lower the useable wind range a little. The mid 20s wind was gusty and I did not have the kite fall back at all. The lower winds and/or longer lines may have helped but gusts/shadows weren’t +/-20mph of the wind speed like my last big wind ride.

Stoked for the spring season!

p.s.
The OR web site states "The tow-point is tuned so that the kite stays balanced during gusts to prevent overflying." and owns a patent for those unique wing tips...

http://www.google.com/patents/US20140014778
Quote:
...improvements can be made to aerodynamic efficiency by moving the wingtip front bridle attachment forwards, as this will move the front tow point forwards in relation to the center of effort. This will increase the amount that the rider is able to decrease the angle of attack of the kite, thus increasing the depower capability. However, as the prior art figures show, to move the wingtip front bridle attachment (30) further forwards means it must be moved further up the leading edge tube. This makes it hard to properly support the leading edge arc and prevent it from collapsing while under load. This can also cause the section of the leading edge tube that goes from the wingtip front bridle attachment to the wingtip rear bridle attachment to buckle while under load or when turning the kite. Another option is to decrease the amount that the leading edge tube is swept rearwards however this has a negative effect on the relaunch capability of the kite, when crashed on the water, and it decreases the amount of depower as it moves the center of effort on the kite forwards.

Therefore, there is a continued need for an LEI kite to have improved aerodynamic and re-launch capabilities by back-sweeping the inflated leading edge of the kite while at the same time being able to move the front tow points more forwards without having to move the wingtip front bridle attachment higher up on the leading edge tube...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: