Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Info for extended time in Ventana/Los Barriles
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
CM

Since 06 Oct 2015
60 Posts

PostTue Oct 06, 15 2:42 pm    Info for extended time in Ventana/Los Barriles Reply with quote

Seeking a website or discussion with members with personal experience at Ventana and Los Barriles, I plan to drive down Baja in December. I'll be solo in my van,the low-budget,camping method.....Info like best price,kiter friendly resorts, community kitchen,does every place fill-up during high season, need a reservation? etc. No time limit,can stay long-term. Would consider a rental of some sort if affordable.....Is Ventana or LB the preferred choice.The only Mexico camping book on Amazon was 2009 with mixed reviews. Thanx for any response

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Oct 06, 15 4:55 pm     Reply with quote

CM lots of info on this forum. Use the "search" function. Free camping in the North part of LB on the dry river bed next to the beach.

At the north end of town at the hard turn (90 degrees) where there is a restaurant ask for Shaggy! "ZOINKS"! He'll hook you up with some Scooby snacks!

LV: There is a camp site for trailers and RV's. Beach front view is a desired commodity and so folk head down there early to score for the season. I like both towns for different reasons. LB close to the airport, bigger town, good winds when it blows. LV is a charming Mexican hamlet town on the Sea of Cortez. Great wind, small town feel, wonderful restaurants with fresh fresh seafood. Everyone there primarily for the wind and water.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 06, 15 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

There is a list-serve email "forum" for all things La Ventana. You can easily join & quit, and it will send you a news letter once per week. It has lots of information on lodging, camping. services, & food.
Send a "Please Join" to ventana.viewATgeeeeeemail.calm
Address has been bastardized to save Roberta from spam.

There are several camping options available in La Ventana. Not only is there the main campground ($6 per day?) but also an arroyo where folks set up free, and two other spots. I've been there every January for four years and the skunk ratio has been about 4-5 windless days per January. Foiling might change even those numbers... it changes everything Smile

PS... The peso rate is at a crazy 17 or 18 per dollar so it just might make for some very cheap retirement budget. We'll see.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Oct 06, 15 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

CM,

This subject has been hashed over many many times on this forum. One informative thread is http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-20264.html

My two bits, if I had endless time I would take it slow. Many fun places I would like to explore after getting 6 hours past the border. Some are kite spots, others are just cool fish towns or what not. I have yet to hit Punta San Carlos, but it deserves serious consideration. Both LV and LB are wonderful end destinations and each one deserves considerable time enjoying, however if you have the time you might find exploring out of bounds to be some of your most memorable experiences on your vacation.

Also, consider taking a different path when returning. There are a few options.

As previously stated, use the search feature on NWKite. You will find answers (and opinions) to all your questions.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 06, 15 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

If you're solo in your van, caravan-ing might be a good idea. When I was living in San Diego and surfing Baja often, we always said that every trip to Baja is either epic or a nightmare. Be smart. Tweakers were a big problem 4-5 years ago around places south of Ensenada.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 07, 15 5:55 am     Reply with quote

ShiverMeTimbers wrote:
If you're solo in your van, caravan-ing might be a good idea. When I was living in San Diego and surfing Baja often, we always said that every trip to Baja is either epic or a nightmare. Be smart. Tweakers were a big problem 4-5 years ago around places south of Ensenada.

Yes. Best advice.
Since my retirement I have been driving deep into Mexico every winter for 5-6 months yearly. I always start my drive this way: 7:30 AM waiting at the border, full tank, snacks, books-on-tape, bucket of change for tolls etc. Quick 1/2 hour at San Ysidro and it's burn burn burn south with no stops. El Rosario about 3-4 hours south is my first stop for gas, then burn more. Catavina for me is where I often spend a night unless I'm inn high-speed mode which is burn down into Guerrero Negro.
To make GN you will be driving until 1/2 hour after dark. The fast burn to LV is essentially a 10 hour X 10 hour, two day-er.
DO NOT EVER STOP FOR ANYTHING IN CIUDAD CONSTITUTION!! It has been well reported on many sites (bajanomad.com) that trafico police corruption here is just insane. Last year I caravan-ed with Skye from Hood River and as we carefully pulled into town she honked and we stopped for a coffee. The Trafico guided us into our parking spaces! As we were waiting for our coffee 4 minutes later he comes in and taps me on the shoulder. "Senor Teekeet"
By the time we exited the shop Skye's license plate was already removed and they were leaning over mine. I ran over to my car and physically blocked them and shouted "No toque me coche!!" He then brought out his handcuffs and said (in Spanish) "geeve me dinero, or we're going downtown". I then brought out my smart phone and started photo'ing everything. This really pissed everyone off, and put an abrupt end to all mordida efforts.
An hour wasted, a trip downtown, 1200 pesos.
Be aware that every intersection has a stop light... but they intentionally covered these in black plastic to f*k with you. Proceed at 12mph, come to a complete stop at all intersections, let EVERYONE have the right-of-way. Some people on bajanomad actually leave the highway here and take dirt side streets to avoid the trap. It's well reported. About 1 1/2 hour north of La Paz. There's not much in the way of well reported corruption on other segments of your route.
Oh, but always count your money as you pay for gas. Sometimes the attendant will tell you it was a $50 peso note when you gave him a $500. This happened to me once at Los Mochis on the mainland.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
165 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed Oct 07, 15 7:36 am     Reply with quote

I have been to lb a coupe of times and PSc once. I recommend you bring your mountain bike. There are some really good trails in the hills near lb.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Oct 08, 15 9:20 am     Reply with quote

You should not miss out on the LV experience. I would base your stay out of LV and make side trips to LB. With your own transport you can experience both locations easily.

This is your first time making the road trip. I would definitely get on the Ventana View email message board and make an immediate post searching for caravan buddies to drive down with. Teaming up with someone who has made the journey before and speaks Spanish would be best.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 08, 15 10:07 am    Response to corrupt Police Reply with quote

This is great stuff. Thanks for the advice.

wylieflyote wrote:
"Senor Teekeet"
By the time we exited the shop Skye's license plate was already removed and they were leaning over mine. I ran over to my car and physically blocked them and shouted "No toque me coche!!" He then brought out his handcuffs and said (in Spanish) "geeve me dinero, or we're going downtown". I then brought out my smart phone and started photo'ing everything. This really pissed everyone off, and put an abrupt end to all mordida efforts.
An hour wasted, a trip downtown, 1200 pesos.

1. I don't understand the "removing the license plate" thing. What's with that?

2. Given that the Police were going to fabricate your apparent violation & the reaction of the video phone was to piss them off. Do you recommend this as leverage to reduce harassment of facilitate your leaving with greater ease?

3. Or...does this place you in a deeper web of their greater emotional unpredictability?

4. Would it be of greater benefit to record (audio or video) the interaction covertly just in case things go VERY wrong.

5. In retrospect; how would you handle it next time?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 08, 15 3:18 pm    Re: Response to corrupt Police Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:

1. I don't understand the "removing the license plate" thing. What's with that?

2. Given that the Police were going to fabricate your apparent violation & the reaction of the video phone was to piss them off. Do you recommend this as leverage to reduce harassment of facilitate your leaving with greater ease?

3. Or...does this place you in a deeper web of their greater emotional unpredictability?

4. Would it be of greater benefit to record (audio or video) the interaction covertly just in case things go VERY wrong.

5. In retrospect; how would you handle it next time?

1. The removal and confiscation of the license plate is a common traffic/parking cop tactic in rural Mexico. Logically it would be impossible for my car to cross back into the US without the plates. One work-a-round I've seen other seasoned Mexico travelers do is hang your plate with those tamper proof screws you see in commercial bathroom stalls. Or, just us a star wrench and that would prevent the trafico from stealing your plates.

2. The introduction of the phone & photo into the mix is actually very smart as at this point the are prevented from pulling any corruption with you. It is a Federal Violation for a police officer to ask for "mordida" (payoff), and it is also a violation for you to offer a payoff. I've learned the hard way that the payoffs are presented as "Savings, amigo" when in truth the payoff is more than twice the actual ticket if you pay downtown.

3. Yes, things get emotional. One solution that drivers in Mexico are coming up with is a Dash Cam which is running all the time by default. This is putting the brakes nationwide on the mordida (payoff). Technology just might end all payoffs someday.

4. Covert vs Overt? Not sure, but overt is my choice.

5. What I would have done differently is to simply NOT get upset. There was a few moments when I was nose to nose with a big angry cop. He wanted my driver's, and I was telling him "no way" because I saw it as another trap to bust me for driving without a license. He won, when he seriously and loudly yelled "Handcuffs! Or driver's license. You decide Amigo!"
Once that happened I simply dropped all aggression and adopted a f*ckit posture with a big smile. We then went downtown to the police headquarters... where it really got silly funny.
Skye and I walk into the Chief of Police's office..... And the walls are lined with probably 2 dozen milk crates completely packed with license plates!!! By this time I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. We wait about 20 minutes, then the Chief of Police says: "Amigo!! Today is your LUCKY DAY!! Today is %25 dicuenta on parking tickets!" HA!
Our "violation" was parking on a "sidewalk". Keep in mind there is nothing but sand sand sand everywhere... but I guess it's a sidewalk. Oh... and the very space I parked my car in was occupied by a Mx plated car as I pulled up. No tickets for locals.
Stay away from Ciudad Constitution.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 08, 15 8:20 pm     Reply with quote

if it makes you feel any better do not think of it as a bribe(mordida, actually translates as little bite), think of it as an expediting fee. Anything can be done at any time, seņor. If you want it done sooner it will, of course, cost a bit more.
It is the same everywhere, we just use different language in the US. We call them licensing fee's and taxes. In Mexico they call them the cost of doing business. Same thing except in the US there is a set price per year that seems high. There it is a lower price that is negotiable but happens more often. Learn to play the game as the locals require and it will be cheaper and less painful and overall much more enjoyable.
Also remember, their laws are completely different there. A traffic violation becomes a much bigger deal and accidents are usually felonies and without insurance EVERYONE goes to jail until they can figure it out. And pleading innocence is a waste of breath. They don't care, there is no innocent until proven guilty, that is the US. If you have a problem, work it out before the policia show up because when they do, the price just starts going up. This is not to scare you off, just know the rules before you play the game. and it still one of the best places in the world to hang out.
Go and have fun, we do.

TCKiter

Since 28 Oct 2015
2 Posts
Tri-Cities, WA

PostWed Oct 28, 15 1:33 pm    Bad day in Baja Reply with quote

Friday my son and I were travelling to Los Barriles. We crossed the boarder around 7:30 am and high tailed it to Geurreo Negro. Smooth sailing that day.

The next day we left at sun up and drove all day, We heard about the cops in Constitucion so went to the center lane and stopped at every intesection. About half way through town we saw a Federali truck pass us. We were extremely careful to stop at every intersection, marked or not. So we get to the end of town and there are the Federalis behind us and pull us over. The cop says you did not stop correctly. We said oh yes we did. And then he gets angry. and Shouts "You did not stop correctly". Then he demanded 1,000 pesos. So I handed over the money, and the buttcrack try's to shake my hand like we are buddy's or something.

So I am fuming all the way highway and get to La Paz. I turned the wheel over to my son to drive for a while and we get a few klicks through town and I'll be damned if another Federali pulls us over and says we were speeding. Now I know we were not speeding as there were other cars passing and I kept looking at the speedometer wondering why my son was going so slow. So this time both cops get out and come to each window. This guys says If we go to the station it will be $150 or you can pay $100 now. Now I am peeved but I don't know what else to do, as this is my first first foray in mexico, so I hand them $100 u.s. note and they thank us and leave. Well 5 Klicks down the road we come to a road block where the military are inspecting. No big deal these guys have been great all along the way. But there is a federali sitting there too. He sees it is an American vehicle and stops us and starts questioning us. Like any open beer etc. Well now I am really peeved and I said no beers just Monster Energy drinks want one? And he says yes and I handed it to him. He still wanted to see a drivers license but I know he only stopped us because he thought he could get something out of us, And I wasn't giving him any money so I tossed him a Monster. It seemed to work but I'm not sure he was entirely satisfied.

I have to say it left a really bad taste in my mouth for Baja Sur. What a disappointment.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Oct 28, 15 2:02 pm    Re: Bad day in Baja Reply with quote

TCKiter wrote:
...We crossed the boarder around 7:30 am and high tailed it to Geurreo Negro. Smooth sailing that day.

The next day we left at sun up ...and get to La Paz. ... Federali pulls us over and says we were speeding. Now I know we were not speeding as there were other cars passing and I kept looking at the speedometer wondering why my son was going so slow.

TCKiter, sorry to hear you and your son had such a tough trip.

One observation, you were speeding (had to be to make so much distance), and yes everybody speeds (it's impossible to drive 50km/hr, in fact I'd argue it's likely you might end up getting rammed by a semi truck if you attempt to follow the speed limit the whole way).

I have a question, what were you driving? Your experience seemed different than mine, I'm wondering if it was just luck-of-the-draw, or rather if you were targeted due to what you were driving, or perhaps because you had your son with you.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 28, 15 6:58 pm    Re: Bad day in Baja Reply with quote

TCKiter wrote:

I have to say it left a really bad taste in my mouth for Baja Sur. What a disappointment.

Dammit, this is so much a mirror of my experiences in both Constitution and La Paz. Shake-down in both places. I've also heard of Americans and Canadians having some success with using all the side streets in Constitution... thus avoiding the main route. Just stay one or two blocks off the main highway. Takes longer... until you factor in the b*llsh*t mordida.

PincheBuero

Since 26 Jul 2014
3 Posts
Hood River
Kook

PostThu Oct 29, 15 7:38 am    New to NW kite but not New to traveling in Baja Reply with quote

I must say it sucks what happened to you while you were driving down the Baja, and got Scammed by the local PD and federalies.

Have any of you actually denied payment and just played the wait game?

Every time this has happened to me and trust me it is quite often. All i do is talk with the officers keep calm and just play the wait game. They always use the tactic of believing you are in a rush and don't have time to be arrested or pulled over. If you simply wait there and say ok lets go to the police station and agree to do what they say you will call their bluff. They will get bored uninterested and let you go.

I have lost an hour or 2 doing this but haven't paid a peso in years.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 29, 15 9:24 am    U gotta negotiate Reply with quote

If you agree to their outrageous first demands, they paint a huge target on your vehicle and every cop in the country sees you as OPEN SEASON. Probably why you got hassled repeatedly.
You should pay about 25% of what they demand. I made the mistake of paying the full bite in La Paz (had a doob in my pocket) and they nailed me EVERY time I went to town after. Gotta figure there's some kinda target sharing going on.
RE: the waiting/calling bluff game, I did spend 48 hrs in jail in Ensenada in my youth as a result. They wanted us to get big bucks wired from the States, finally settled for all the money on our persons. Didn't return to Mex for 20 years.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 29, 15 7:29 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, I have had some luck (on the mainland of Mexico) with the waiting game. For me. my tactic is: "Hey Pal, I do not understand one word of your Spanish" "Talk to me in English"... follow by many many repetitions of "Si" "Boowaynose DeeYas" "Adios"
In Hermosillo two years ago the cop said in speedy Spanish "OK, you are following me to the police station, Yes?" I replied "SI, Buenos Dias, Adios" and waved to him as I re-joined the flow off traffic heading south. In my rear-view mirror I saw him waving frantically.
But, I gotta say that Ciudad Constitution is in a league all it's own. You need to be very careful and plan on getting worked in the town. This is well documented many many times over the years on the forum BajaNomad.com, and well as Facebook.
It's a go nowhere town with no resources in the middle of a desert. They gotta get revenue somehow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: