Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

COAST THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 04, 15 8:23 am    COAST THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Ok I hope my excitement isn't going to jinx everyone, but is anyone looking forward to riding the ocean this weekend? Can you guys please share any advice for a couple who always tends to default to Manzanita? My wife loves manzo because it tends to be the windiest, but I have been getting so frustrated with it going offshore or dying on the inside in the early evening/afternoon. Can anyone please share a spot or spots that usually blow pretty decently with a forecast of N winds on the coast?

We have been in the NW for about 4 years now and have not kited spots S of Manzanita. I have heard good things about places South and am willing to drive. We tend to get nostalgic about waddel/scotts creek and I know there has to be a spot around here that is on par.

thanks!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 04, 15 8:38 am     Reply with quote

there's no subsitute......pack your car and go explore.
there be treasure out there.

Last edited by ldhr on Wed Mar 04, 15 2:46 pm; edited 3 times in total

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostWed Mar 04, 15 10:06 am     Reply with quote

Netarts/Oceanside seem to be overlooked sites. They are actually closest to PDX, but like everywhere else of course the wind is not as strong as Manzanita. I have kited at both. Oceanside has great waves and views, but the wind in the surf zone can be gusty due to the cliffs. The spot is just before entering town. There is some fenced utility building on the right side, the parking is just along that stretch of road. You go down to the beach along a steep rocky path. Netarts has a parking lot on the kite spot at the mouth of the river. It is more exposed to wind. It has a flat water area at the mouth and further out it has waves.
Overall Newport is maybe my favorite spot.

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
780 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostWed Mar 04, 15 11:42 am     Reply with quote

I'd love to hit the beach this weekend, but these northerly forecasts seem to be turning East lately, which has a lot of downsides when you're in the ocean!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Mar 04, 15 2:22 pm     Reply with quote

Reaper356 wrote:
I'd love to hit the beach this weekend, but these northerly forecasts seem to be turning East lately, which has a lot of downsides when you're in the ocean!

Downsides????? You'll be that much closer to great sake an authentic sushi over in Japan;-)

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostWed Mar 04, 15 9:30 pm     Reply with quote

Hmmm...picnic lunch and a good afternoon Easterly session at Ft Steven's Ponds Saturday?

Watching the forecast....

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 05, 15 5:58 am     Reply with quote

well , uh, shucks. I guess I spoke too soon and was wrong about the forecast.

sorry if I got anyone elses hopes and dreams up. Crying or Very sad

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 05, 15 7:15 am     Reply with quote

I'm at Manzo working yesterday and today. Didn't bring my gear but saw Josh the owner of Cleanline out yesterday. He sells Ozone, so if you see an Ozone REO kite, it's probably him. It got up to 20 around 3. Usually 2-4 is the prime time. Manzo is usually the windiest until you get down to Florence but Roads End can sometimes be as windy. Everywhere else is usually 5mph lower

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostThu Mar 05, 15 9:38 am     Reply with quote

consumer wrote:
well , uh, shucks. I guess I spoke too soon and was wrong about the forecast.

sorry if I got anyone elses hopes and dreams up. Crying or Very sad

I'd still keep an eye on it. Forecasts have been bouncing around a bit. Yesterday things looked good for both Saturday and Sunday. Today it looks ok for Saturday, but not Sunday. Tomorrow - who knows?

buttersmoothcarver

Since 08 Oct 2008
246 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Mar 05, 15 2:51 pm    Come try some speed! Reply with quote

Speedflying that is. I'll most likely be twittleing my thumbs around Cape Kiwanda Saturday mid-day. If wind kick in, most likely rally down to LC to kite. More than happy to show anyone basic Paragliding ground skills with a speedwing. Under supervison, its safe and easy to learn. Maybe even get some short 200' glides in. Heehhaa another PGer born into the "Brotherhood of Flying Mopeds".

IMG_24274184429270_1.jpg 

Brad Gordon

Thermal Foundation
www.snowkiteadventures.com
text 2063000450

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Mar 05, 15 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

I'm abouts Thumb's Up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostFri Mar 06, 15 7:55 am     Reply with quote

macgruber wrote:
I'm at Manzo working yesterday and today. Didn't bring my gear but saw Josh the owner of Cleanline out yesterday. He sells Ozone, so if you see an Ozone REO kite, it's probably him. It got up to 20 around 3. Usually 2-4 is the prime time. Manzo is usually the windiest until you get down to Florence but Roads End can sometimes be as windy. Everywhere else is usually 5mph lower

He's got all of us converted now, Josh is likes to make sure he camouflages himself in the herd Wink

Sunset kite TC 06 15 02 01 sm.jpg 

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Mar 06, 15 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

Roads End
www.Purestokesports.com

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostMon Mar 09, 15 7:50 am     Reply with quote

Bet Roads was fun!

For those that like to hit Manzanita here early in the season, it has been following a pattern the last couple weeks when the trade Norths blow. Happened again yesterday. Late in the day hour or so 12m ish session followed by a complete drop in wind, then another hour or so of solid 10m wind. Don't give up and leave after the 1st drop!!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Mar 09, 15 8:10 am     Reply with quote

barfly wrote:
Bet Roads was fun!

For those that like to hit Manzanita here early in the season, it has been following a pattern the last couple weeks when the trade Norths blow. Happened again yesterday. Late in the day hour or so 12m ish session followed by a complete drop in wind, then another hour or so of solid 10m wind. Don't give up and leave after the 1st drop!!

did exactly that at roads end saturday - late shift scored - go JUMPIN JIMI!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostTue Mar 10, 15 5:09 am     Reply with quote

yes thanks to those that suggested Roads end. We had an unbelievable time there!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: