Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Blowout Logistics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostTue Jul 30, 13 8:09 am    Blowout Logistics Reply with quote

Some info on logistics for the Blowout this weekend (assuming the wind cooperates):

Pre-Race:
- 8:00 a.m.: I will be leaving Stevenson to drop the Best RV & Trailer at the Spit.
- 9:00 a.m.: I will be returning from HR to Stevenson with our pickup truck. We can carry 4 additional people back with us and lots of gear.
- 9:00 a.m: registration opens in Stevenson. Will be open for a couple of hours.

Post-Race:
- Free Beer and pot luck BBQ at the Spit. Will start up after most of the racers have arrived. We'll have one or two BBQ's available for you to throw your own burgers or dogs on to.
- Somewhere between 6 pm and 10 pm the Best RV will return to Stevenson

If you need help in arranging a drop off or getting back to Stevenson to pick up your rig after the race please post here so that others can coordinate with you. If someone is really stuck in getting connected please pm me and I'll see what I can do to help.

Tony

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Jul 30, 13 9:19 am     Reply with quote

hi Tony, what are the times for registration closing, getting on the river and the start?

Thanks

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Bolstad Clan

PostTue Jul 30, 13 9:52 am     Reply with quote

Registration should be open until at least 11, maybe 11:30 a.m. We can always squeeze someone in at the last minute.

Riders meeting is planned for 11:00 a.m., team formation at 11:30. Launching of kites begins at noon. Earliest possible start is at 12:30 pm but more likely 12:45 or 1:00 pm as it takes about 45 minutes to get everyone on the water.

More details here: http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-30063.html

Tony

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Aug 01, 13 7:08 am    helpful navigation advice for newbies to BOG (I'm 1) Reply with quote

Thought this might help (wise words from Mr. tonyb):

"Some general tips (learned the hard way) for practice runs.

- Leave Stevenson no later than 4 pm. Before 3 is even better, between 1 and 2 is best.
- Check the wind at both locations before leaving to make sure it's blowing. Even better is to drop a car in HR then drive back up the WA side and make sure you see whitecaps all the way.
- Generally HR blows 5 to 10 mph stronger than Stevie. Rig for HR winds if you can. For the actual race we generally rig for Stevie to Home Valley winds then hang on for the wild ride from Viento to HR.
- Probably best not to go if you're having to ride a 12m or 13m kite at Stevenson. Same for if you are on a 5m.
- Surfboards are a blast for the downwinder and work best in the chop. Twin Tips work as well and are easier to switch up your stance and rest your legs but they are harder to ride straight down wind.
- Get a carabiner and clip some flip flops to your harness in case you need to walk out somewhere along the way.
- If you have a dry bag for a cell phone bring it.
- Bring some cash in case you need to hitch a ride.
- Dress warm. You might be riding Stevie or HR without a wetsuit but wear at least a shorty or more for the down winder. You might be swimming a long way.
- Leave some dry clothes and a sweatshirt in HR.
- After Home Valley it's generally easier to get out on the WA side and get up to the road, even if it means a longer swim.
- First get out is Home Valley. If you don't see rollers and white caps down wind of HV think very hard about taking the next leg. If you aren't past HV by 4:30 or so probably best to get out. If it takes you more than 40 minutes to get from Stevenson to HV you should probably call it quits until you can ride down wind better.
- After HV most of the WA side is a pretty easy get out and easy hike to Hwy 14. Oregon side has more bushes and trees to get through and some bigger hills to get up to I-84.
- Viento is an OK get out.
- Watch out for the windsurfers when going past The Hatch! Stay well out in the channel and don't hug the WA shoreline.
- After the Hatch head towards the White Salmon bridge and stay out of the Wells Island wind shadow. Especially late in the day.
- Watch out for barge traffic, especially if the wind is getting iffy. If you're going to drop the kite try not to do it in the main traffic lane!
- If the wind starts to get light work nearer the shorelines more so than the middle (don't fight the current).
- When in doubt there is generally more wind in the center of the river. But sometimes you need to work one side or the other. If you're kiting along and all of a sudden it feels like the wind is dying make an immediate turn towards the shore. Sometimes just backing up wind 50 or a 100 yards can get you back in to wind and make it easier to pull the plug or switch to the other side of the river.
- Wind flows around the outside bend of a curve in the river faster than the inside bend. Keep that in mind when things get iffy.
- If the kiter in front of you suddenly has his kite fall out of the sky due to lack of wind change direction immediately! There are dead zones out there that will suck you in. Nice thing is they also go away after a short time.
- Watch out for the devil winds just past Wind Mountain. Direction can change 90 degrees in an instant. Try not to be too close to WA at this point.

For those of you who have never done this downwinder it is one of the most beautiful trips you can ever take. Simply amazing scenery and a fun challenge with all of the different wind and water conditions. You'll find smooth steady winds, gusty, punchy, swirly winds, light wind and nuking wind; you'll find smooth water, chop, and waist high rollers, sometimes all within a 1/2 mile stretch.

For those who want to do the Blowout race you need to have done this downwinder at least once and preferably a couple of times on your own prior to the race. You also need to be able to get from Stevenson to Hood River in under two hours. The top racers will be finishing in less than 40 minutes. Middle of the pack is an hour fifteen. Late pack is an hour forty to two hours.

Besides all the precautions and wild stories we've all told about this run it really is pretty fun and any intermediate level kiter who is ok at riding down wind can make the run. We've even done it a couple of times completely impromptu, arranged while we are out on the water goofing around. We've also had to swim a few times after careful planning and checking. Our success rate for practice runs is about 7 out of 10. Your mileage may vary.

Tony"

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 02, 13 5:58 am     Reply with quote

Wow, Great read Sasquatch.
One more thiing...
Leaves of 3, Let it BE!

I know this is very pre-school, but my friend crawled out of the river (Ore Side) around Wyeast and ended up with a heinous case of poison oak. Some places he said had a "wall of poison oak" that he laid he surfboard onto just to step across. After that day he tossed his wetsuit into the trash from the oils being impregnated into the fabric. Not sure if that was called for, but he was miserable.

buttersmoothcarver

Since 08 Oct 2008
246 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Aug 02, 13 6:33 am     Reply with quote

Wylie,

I'll second that, this year after a fresh application of punk wax, I went for a big old juicy strapless air resulting a big old broken board. Not a big deal unless your on a downwinder. When you commit to a downwinder only you can get yourself out of the kitemare. Your buddy can't do much for yeah at that point. Exiting out on the Oregon side in sections can be challenging. Like you said "walls of poison oaks" is no joke. I had to scramble half mile down the rocky shoreline until finding a better access to highway. All in all back to my car, for a second attempt. Like Tony said, carabiner a pair of cheap flip-flops to the back of harness is a great idea. Stay thursty my friend!

Brad Gordon

Thermal Foundation
www.snowkiteadventures.com
text 2063000450

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Bolstad Clan

PostSun Aug 04, 13 11:29 am     Reply with quote

Postponed until next weekend. Will update next Wed. or Thursday.

Tony

carolb

Since 04 Nov 2006
590 Posts
Stevenson, WA in the summer, SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostMon Aug 05, 13 9:05 am    Go to WA Reply with quote

Tony and I have swam all the way back to WA from the OR side as its friendly to get out and get back. More swimming but safer.
We felt too many people wouldn't make it last weekend so we postponed it. Leaving Stevenson on a 15m kite and a big floaty board is risky. Once person did do it last weekend but he never checked in to get his finish line beer so officially he did not make it either. Not to worry, we drank it for him anyways!
Carol

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 11, 13 7:11 am     Reply with quote

This was on Temira's forecast today. Is this correct?

"In Stevenson today, the Bridge of the Gods organizers are going to run the Blowout, the downwind race from Stevenson to Hood River. Skipper's meeting is at 10am, and tentative race time is 11 am.

jeffreyc

Since 23 Aug 2006
43 Posts

PostSun Aug 11, 13 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Driving the WA side:
Swell 10m
Draino 10m
Viento 12m
Dog light white caps
Narrows med whitecaps
Home valley light whitecaps 13 m doable
Carson light. Cloud line burning back.
Jeff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: