Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Post for Steve Griffith CENTRAL FERRY STATE PARK?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostTue Oct 24, 06 7:27 am    Post for Steve Griffith CENTRAL FERRY STATE PARK? Reply with quote

So my buddy and I left snoqualmie pass at 11 at night to meet up with the rest of his family and the family of dogs in a place called pamaroy (sp). We arrived at four am and it was howling. I asked were we were at and he repliled "central ferry state park." I thought to my self, "man I wish there was water here." I rolled into bed with Six Hungarian Vezshla pointing hunting dogs, four of them were one year olds. When we awoke two hours later we figured we would hit the early moring deer hunt and then take the puppies to the field since pheasant didn't open till the next day. We drank our coffee and walked out of the trailor dead tired. I looked up and saw the snake river and 25 mph winds super steady!!!! I was like "holy SHIZZZZZ, Mother FREAKER, YOUVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!!" I ran to the beach, six dogs in tow!!!!!! Were were right on the snake river!!!!!!! I screamed "you didn't tell me there was a river here!!!!!" They replied, "its not really deep enough to fish, its too shallow and the sand isn't that good for salmon, only steelhead....." So there you have it, two to three feet deep water, 25 mph steady winds and camping right there.

So the questions are: Has anyone ever heard of central ferry state park? Has anyone kited there??????? Whats the fall winds like???? Or was it a fluke to be so consitant.

STATS I KNOW: Its about 25 miles south of Colfax WA, close to Pamoroy. Its on the snake and theres a state park.......

Donny Baker

Since 13 Jul 2006
80 Posts

PostTue Oct 24, 06 7:59 am     Reply with quote

Do you know the NOAA site or is there one for that somewhat desolate region?

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 24, 06 8:35 am     Reply with quote

I think you are refferring to "Pomeroy", It's just west of Clarkston. Here's a link to a site about the town. I wonder if Chief Timothy State Park is another consideration for kiting? It's along the way to Clarkston. I have never kited there, but spent some years growing up there.

http://www.clickpomeroy.com/tourism/attract_snakeriver.htm

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Oct 24, 06 8:50 am     Reply with quote

Heres another link:

http://www.nww.usace.army.mil/corpsoutdoors/lga/LGAREC.HTM

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 24, 06 8:59 am     Reply with quote

Bammer, I didn't know you hunted. This is my first Vizsla (of 3) Indy. She could find birds a state away. Very Happy

indy.jpg 

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostTue Oct 24, 06 9:05 am     Reply with quote

Hey Steve...

Read the title a bit closer... Post is for Steve Griffith out of Snoqualmie Pass. He was having a bit of computer problems this morning.

But, yeah... I grew up on a farm and did all that country boy schmidt...

Jon

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 24, 06 11:09 am     Reply with quote

Yup guess I need to read the title don't I, kinda gives it away. ............... Where was your farm? Both my Grandfather and Father were farmers in Wisconsin. Hunted pheasant when I was a grom.

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Oct 24, 06 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

hey Yardsale, you still have dogs?????

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostTue Oct 24, 06 12:14 pm    Re: Post for Steve Griffith CENTRAL FERRY STATE PARK? Reply with quote

bambam wrote:
So my buddy and I left snoqualmie pass at 11 at night to meet up with the rest of his family and the family of dogs in a place called pamaroy (sp). We arrived at four am and it was howling. I asked were we were at and he repliled "central ferry state park." I thought to my self, "man I wish there was water here." I rolled into bed with Six Hungarian Vezshla pointing hunting dogs, four of them were one year olds. When we awoke two hours later we figured we would hit the early moring deer hunt and then take the puppies to the field since pheasant didn't open till the next day. We drank our coffee and walked out of the trailor dead tired. I looked up and saw the snake river and 25 mph winds super steady!!!! I was like "holy SHIZZZZZ, Mother FREAKER, YOUVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!!" I ran to the beach, six dogs in tow!!!!!! Were were right on the snake river!!!!!!! I screamed "you didn't tell me there was a river here!!!!!" They replied, "its not really deep enough to fish, its too shallow and the sand isn't that good for salmon, only steelhead....." So there you have it, two to three feet deep water, 25 mph steady winds and camping right there.

So the questions are: Has anyone ever heard of central ferry state park? Has anyone kited there??????? Whats the fall winds like???? Or was it a fluke to be so consitant.

STATS I KNOW: Its about 25 miles south of Colfax WA, close to Pamoroy. Its on the snake and theres a state park.......

Wow man...Thats awesome...So does this place have a good safe spot to launch....?
It be nice to know the favorable conditions.
I bet the locals might think it's some kinda of government cover up if they see you kiting out there... Laughing What a treat...
I've hunted and fished many times along the snake river in the past (chuckers/some ringnecks), Mostly along the Oregon side...It's true, most places along the snake, seem to always get really breezy. But I've also always noticed lots of rocks and cliffs along the bank. So I guess a safe launch and land spot is a huge bonus.
To bad you didn't have your gear...

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 24, 06 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

stevegriffith22 wrote:
hey Yardsale, you still have dogs?????

Yep, Rat Terrier named Biko and V named Zumi. Very Happy

dogfart2.jpg 

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostTue Oct 24, 06 5:46 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Bam, how wide is that river? The link Stringfellow posted makes it look like an ocean. I have hear the wind howls around that area a lot. Would be fun to put together a posse of pioneers and rode trip it. Very Happy Got to love trying new spots!

DVS

Since 02 Mar 2009
68 Posts
Mt Hood

PostFri Apr 23, 10 3:28 pm     Reply with quote

I'll be stuck out here in Clarkston for the next three weeks for work. Anybody tried the Snake yet? I'll be bringing all gear and keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, if anyone has beta on other activities in this area please chime in. Thanx

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 23, 10 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

hey, did someone say something about bird hunting? Oh right, this is a kiting post! Opps my bad! so how did this get brought up again?

Anyhow, so I still hunt there, but its always freezing when I'm there and I'm a bit busy with opening day there for pheasant. I haven't actually gotten in the water, but that park has been closed last couple times I've been there.

Someone want to see if you can kite there. If so, housing prices there are a fraction of that in HR!

sg

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostSat Apr 24, 10 7:59 am     Reply with quote

More links, site described as windy. Lake Chelan is not to far away so if you Paraglide something else to do.

http://mycampingreview.com/?p=163

http://wikimapia.org/12265681/Central-Ferry-State-Park

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?sid=LBRW&table=1&banner=off

Last edited by splaterwin on Sat Apr 24, 10 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total

kitemare

Since 23 Mar 2010
265 Posts
Seattle, wa
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 24, 10 8:38 am     Reply with quote

I have actually gone there looking to see if I could kite there. Went to WSU and that was the closest spot to me that I thought would work but the wind was stronger than what my gear would handle at that time so I just hung out at the beach.

I drove around that area a bunch, and I think the best spot is at the park, so as long as you can go up wind (since there is a big bridge downwind) I'd say go for it. Whenever I have been there it has been windy, that is to say the 2 or 3 times in the fall. I haven't ever found a wind gauge for the area so it's kind of a crap shoot on whether or not it will be windy. I think Boyer park has some info and it's just a little ways upriver(?) but that might get you in at least the right ballpark in terms of wind strength.

DVS

Since 02 Mar 2009
68 Posts
Mt Hood

PostSat Apr 24, 10 9:03 am     Reply with quote

Thanx guy's for the positive feedback. Looks like I'll have to give it a shot while I'm there. I'll keep everyone posted if I get the goods!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSat Apr 24, 10 10:17 am     Reply with quote

I've kited Boyer Park once back in the day. Big dunes area and a great old-time WSU party place to camp. The Snake has many areas and sometimes great wind but it's fairly desolate so when you factor drive time other better-known areas comes to mind if you live on the Eastside.

However, the Snake is a gorgeous untapped area and many kite gems still waiting to be de-virginized so I like Bams attitude. You can take a boat from Lewiston/Clarkston all the way to Hood so I thought that would make a great 10-day houseboat/kite trip etc. Kite, float, BBQ, drink and shoot birds the whole way down. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: