Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Show your support for the Timberline Mtn Bike Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Mar 07, 11 9:32 am    Show your support for the Timberline Mtn Bike Park Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

Please take some time to send an email to comments-pacificnorthwest-mthood-zigzag@fs.fed.us showing some support for this mountain bike park. We don't have anything like it in that area and it would be an amazing asset for everyone.

-Forrest

Quote:
From: Steve J. Kruse [mailto:STEVE_K@timberlinelodge.com]
Subject: Timberline Bike Park

Friends, the end is in sight, our Preliminary Environmental Assessment is on the FS website today, and will legally be posted tomorrow with a notice in the Oregonian, which will begin the formal 30 day comment period. This period is extremely important in the process, due to the fact that our proposal has become “extremely contentious” in the eyes of the forest Service, due to opposition from a very vocal minority with a large network of members. Their membership is responding to their group’s inflammatory correspondence, and then giving input to the Forest Service.

Once again, we are asking for your help in getting out the word to as many folks as possible about the importance of making a comment during this period, and if possible attending an Open House on the 17th of March at the Zig Zag Ranger Station, starting at 4:00 p.m. The folks who are opposed to our project held their own open house and packed it with their members, and had it televised, so we are hoping to share our factual unbiased proposal to a house full of supporters. The basis for the opposition’s stance is based upon a general dislike of the project, an apparent strong dislike of mountain bikers and so far it is not based upon any factual issues.

Please contact me if you need further information, and thanks for those of you who can give us a hand.

The website is located at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/mthood ,go to “Land Resource Management” on the left side, and then “Projects” and then “View All Projects. It is alphabetical, so we are near the bottom of the list of all projects.

And the address for comments is: comments-pacificnorthwest-mthood-zigzag@fs.fed.us

Thanks , Steve

Steve Kruse
General Manager
Mountain Operations
Timberline Lodge
503-272-3147
skruse@timberlinelodge.com

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 07, 11 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Yes yes yes
Bring it on. I sent in a letter already. This could be the best this to happen for biking in the NW ever.

tjgulizia

Since 06 Feb 2007
123 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostMon Mar 07, 11 10:12 am    Downhill Heaven! Reply with quote

Sent mine too!

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 07, 11 10:40 am    timberline Reply with quote

After doing a search of the opponents position, I find they have a few valid points. The Moon dust soil problem, environmental impact to the mtn, loss of habitat (one expert claimed it would drive away summer elk populations in particular)are a few of the problems.

You state we have nothing like this in the area, incorrectly. Ski Bowl has such a facility now. Also over 250 miles of mountain bike trail exists on Mt Hood.

These issues raised by the Frinds of Mt Hood and others are not so easily dismissed as some people who don't like Mountain bikers.

Destroying habitat, wasting resources, negatively impacting old growth forest doesn't seem like such a great idea to me so that RLK can have another revenue stream.

I love bombing downhill on my mountain bike, but I always earn the ride first (by pedaling, not driving or riding lifts.)

My two cents. Marc

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Mar 07, 11 11:01 am     Reply with quote

No, skibowl is not like what Timberline is trying to do. That's nice you like to earn it, good for you.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Mar 07, 11 11:30 am     Reply with quote

Here's something you can email to the Forest Service or write something of your own.

I support the Timberline Mountain Bike Park Project for the following reasons:

1. The trail system design is consistent with best trail building practices for sustainability, drainage and user enjoyment. The park was designed by Whistler Gravity Research - the most respected bike park design group in the industry.

2. The needs for this type of riding are growing and the opportunities for LEGAL mountain bike DH use are stagnant or shrinking. This Park will service a growing sector of the sport by meeting an increasingly large public need.

3. The area being proposed for development has already been impacted by several ski runs and a high-speed chair which services Timberline Lodge itself. It is hardly "pristine wilderness" as the opposition claims.

4. The nearby Mt. Hood Wilderness areas are already closed to bicycle use and those groups that oppose this project are actually seeking MORE Wilderness on Mt. Hood. The trails being proposed for the Timberline Mountain Bike Park will be designated and signed for downhill bicycle traffic only. The opposition's statement that this trail system will increase user conflicts with equestrians and hikers is patently absurd. It will REDUCE conflicts.

5. Lastly, as the population of mountain bikers grows, so does the need for a wider range of opportunities for them. The Timberline Bike Park proposal not only meets a growing need but it will also reduce the instance of illegally-built trails on public lands. In short, please support this project!

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Mar 07, 11 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

Well said Gene.

I'm posting this on every damn downhill forum I can tonight. Where can I find information about the opposition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Mar 07, 11 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Timberline-Bike-Park-Supporters/112688038768212?v=wall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
261 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Mar 07, 11 2:22 pm     Reply with quote

Done. Having worked at Northstar in Tahoe, among others, I have seen the impacts first hand. I have to say that pretty much all ski resorts are environmental nightmares. The few Mt bikers that are going to ride the hill are far less detrimental to the landscape than giant grooming machines (winter) and trucks (summer). Cruise around the lift towers in the summer and I guarantee you will find enough beer cans to feed a homeless guy for a year. I am for the DH park, it lets fat guys like me feel like a rock star... from Mars...

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Mar 07, 11 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
Well said Gene.

I'm posting this on every damn downhill forum I can tonight. Where can I find information about the opposition?

Thanks Brian. I actually took that from COTA's website.

Friends of Mount Hood are the main opponents from what I hear and threaten to sue if it moves forward. Here's their website, scroll down for their stand on the bike park:

http://www.friendsofmounthood.org/fmh.htm

As far as I can tell they're selfish hikers and hypocrites with money and too much time. They don't want well designed sustainable bike trails since they ruin the wilderness in a freaking ski area, yet promote new hiking trails and have even suggested hiking off the trails in an email organizing an outing. Also, BARK is against the park:

http://www.bark-out.org/article.php?id=703

Someone mentioned that Friends of Mt. Hood hired a law firm, www.crag.org, to aid them. That's all I know at the moment.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostTue Mar 08, 11 5:43 pm     Reply with quote

FYI, there's an open house at the Zigzag Ranger Station on Thursday March 17th from 4-7pm in the Evergreen conference room behind the main office building (South side of highway, follow signs). You can come at any time to talk about the project since no formal presentation will be made. If anyone at all can make it and support the bike park then please do so.

Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: