Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Check out the KiteRelease!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri May 05, 06 5:20 pm    Check out the KiteRelease! Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

Some of you know me, most of you don’t. I was a newcomer to Sauvies last summer and have been mostly a lurker on this board. Anyway, my wife and I have started a new company locally here, and we’d like to announce a new kiteboarding product that has the potential to dramatically reduce the number of lofting/dragging accidents. It’s called the KiteRelease. (Patent pending) It takes the place of a regular spreader bar and what it does is to release the chicken loop automatically if the line tension increases to approximately rider weight. And yes, you can still jump and kiteloop to your heart’s content! The KiteRelease manages this by having four rider selectable modes, two automatic and two manual. These modes are:

1. "Low Tension" or "Manual Release". The KiteRelease will release at a very low tension.
2. "Launch". The KiteRelease will release as trimloop tension approaches Rider weight. You can ride with the KiteRelease in this mode; you just need to be conservative.
3. "Ride". The KiteRelease will release as trimloop tension approaches 130% - 140% of Rider weight. You can ride all day while in this mode, but no jumps.
4. "Locked" The KiteRelease will not release and functions exactly like an old fashioned spreader bar.

Shifting between modes is simple and can be done with one hand while riding. It sounds complicated, but really it isn’t. When you’re getting ready to launch your kite, just check that you’re in “Launch” mode. When you put on your board select “Ride” or “Locked” as conditions dictate. When you are heading back to shore, select “Ride” or “Launch”. As you approach shore and are ready to take off your board, select “Launch” if you haven’t already done so.

In addition to reducing your risks substantially, the KiteRelease is easier to use than any spreader bar on the market. Our Soft Shackle (patent pending) technology relegates “chicken bones” to the museum. The Soft Shackle greatly eases the process of shackling in and out. Simply pull the trimloop into the hook and you're shackled in. Grab the trimloop and pull it down & back and you're out! See the video "Using The KiteRelease" on our website to see just how simple and easy this is. There's also a short video on www.Kiteforum.TV

Joanne and I will try and get SI to demonstrate the KiteRelease soon. Check out the website, there’s five videos and a FAQ section. If you still have any questions, I’ll try and answer them here as well.

Good Winds!
Nak
www.KiteRelease.com

Joanne
 Joanne  P1010024.JPG 
   P1010105.JPG 

Last edited by Nak on Fri May 05, 06 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostFri May 05, 06 5:25 pm     Reply with quote

what differiences are there between this and the slingshot surefire spreader bar?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri May 05, 06 5:30 pm     Reply with quote

The SS bar is manual release only. This has two automatic modes as well as a manual release and a locked mode. When you're in "Launch" mode, the KiteRelease will automaticaly release as line tension reaches aproximately rider weight. "Ride" mode adds another 30% to 40%. Unfortunately, all too often manual releases aren't adequate. Riders are still getting hurt and killed because they can't activate a manual release in time.

Nak

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostFri May 05, 06 6:26 pm     Reply with quote

ahh i see cool idea for sure

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri May 05, 06 8:13 pm     Reply with quote

Pretty cool idea for sure!!! Thumb's Up
Don't really think it'd work for me though since I always have my suicide leash on my Clip & Ride (no depower if the kite breaks away). I'd probably just end up getting lofted backwards! Wink

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat May 06, 06 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Kataku2k3!

I think we've met, if you are who I think you are... Anyway, you are a MUCH better rider than me, but if I may humbly ask , if you use a suicide leash, would it be a better idea to clip it to your chickenloop after you leave the beach? And clip it to a safety line when returning to the beach? It just seems, IMHO, that doing this would reduce your risk of being hurt while not hampering your riding... I could be wrong here, as I have no experience using a suicide leash. I'm not trying to tell you what to do or how to ride, I'm just curious about the whole suicide leash thing. It might help me make the KiteReleae better...

I edited this because it sounded like I was trying to tell you how to ride. Far from it, you're a better rider and obviously pretty good at making your own decisions. Again, I'm just trying to learn more about this aspect of kiteboarding. Very Happy

Good winds!
Nak
www.KiteRelease.com

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostWed May 10, 06 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

I will have to admit that I am weary of anything that might release automatically in an unexpected moment.

Not saying at all that this is not a quality product. I am just stating my personal opinion (aka: fear) that maybe in a gust the pressure could increase to a point that it realeased and suddenly I am unhooked and overpowered.

-Bryan
St. Petersburg, FL

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed May 10, 06 1:32 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Bryan!

You are absolutely right! That's why the KiteRelease has a locked mode to disable automatic release once you're clear of the beach. An available option will also be the JumpLock; this is a secondary lock that prevents unwanted movement out of the locked mode. Some riders will want the security of JumpLock; some riders will want to get out of locked mode as quickly as possible. It's all about personal preference! Very Happy JumpLock can be removed, or installed, at any time with just a couple of simple tools. You can also disable JumpLock while riding, if you so choose. We’ll have a video of how to use it on the website soon.

Good Winds!
Nak
www.KiteRelease.com

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Dec 30, 13 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

I did a search on Kiterelease and found this topic 2006. Very interesting. I am sure lots of time and effort when into coming up with this version. Getting ideas from your head to a finished functioning product is no easy task.

We are quick to accept status quo and accept that future gear improvements will come in small incremental steps. Sometimes these "improvements" are just change for the sake of change to give the marketing dept something to talk about. We can all think of situations were multiple kite companies have produced kites that were steps backwards from the previous year. My recent purchase of an Engine Harness was a huge leap in my opinion. I had a Dakine Renegade which is a perfectly good harness, but the fit and improvement in performance was worth the extra cost. Size, weight, customized graphics and made in an American garage all had influence in my decision too

It may just be me, but, I think there is an untapped and unrealized demand for simpler and less expensive control bar/QR solutions. Currently, new bars retail for $500+ in most cases. Each bar comes with a QR. If the QR can be moved to a component of the spreader bar it would allow the cost of a bar to come WAY down. It would also bring the cost of kiting down for the user because they are paying for one QR instead of one for each control bar. Convenience would also improve. I would be more compelled to buy one for each kite and leave them attached to the kite in the bag. In addition, I would rather make my own bars out of proven components than pay for new bars sold by kite companies that use their retail early adopters as their R&D team.

I really like the idea of a QR on the spreader bar like the Slingshot Surefire bar and the added safety features of the "Kiterelease" are worthy of a closer look too. I am not sure I want an unintended release of my kite, so a demo/education would be in order to answer my concerns with the the features of the KiteRelease. However, I do know that I would want that feature for my son when he starts learning how to kite.

Just my opinion, but I would like to see it pivot from a fixed center point instead of bolted to the spreader bar to keep the spreader bar from turning up. I would also like to see a slider version which would essentially be a ring on the end so kiters could use it on their slider bars.

I think we will see the next significant step will be the uncoupling of the QR from control bars and a simplification or elimination of trim systems. Maybe this is the right time a product like the KiteRelease.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Dec 30, 13 11:20 pm     Reply with quote

This seems like a potential step forward. I need the upgrade.. so when my mind thinks, "OH SHIT!", it automatically releases.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 02, 14 11:08 am     Reply with quote

Nak

I was turned off at first by the original post in that the bar could release under normal conditions or should say release prematurely for some accidental reason.

BUT

Your comment about Once you clear the beach
This idea about using the feature when launching / landing is great, this is the most, if not all really dangerous times. I believe your biggest sale-able feature would be having this capability when launching / landing and the rider then can lock out the capability during normal water use.

Here is another product you could work on and fix. The new power and de-power capability by the Zeeko Ultimate bar is great but needs some refinements. Prusik knot kite bar. Four of us here in the area have played in this bar but it needs some refinement. If you would like to borrow the bar let me know ! You cold have a two product company?

P.S. Your web site does not come up

jonefstarlie

Since 11 Jan 2014
1 Posts

PostSat Jan 11, 14 2:31 am     Reply with quote

BC Kiteboarding

Come for an awesome BC Kiteboarding and Squamish Kiteboarding holiday, in this way you get the best and safest method to experience the exhilaration, stoke and fun of kite boarding.

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jan 12, 14 7:39 am    Kiterelease Reply with quote

What's the status of the KiteRelease production? Last I heard you were looking for reliable suppliers and liability insurance.
Rather than deal with distributors and retailers, have you considered selling your product online (e.x. Switch kites)?
And rather than dealing with foreign suppliers, have you considered making the parts in the U.S?
Can the kiterelease be tuned for different rider weights? E.X. 200 pounds, versus 100 pounds, versus 50 pounds?
Lastly, do you have any video, showing the different settings of the KiteRelease, and how to change between the different settings?
The only video I could find was this one:
http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/kiterelease_wet_sand_contamination_test.html
I was a big fan of the Surefire Spreader bar when it first came out, but stopped using it because of unwanted releases.
I would be stoked to see you launch this as a successful product.

kenja

Since 19 Jun 2008
179 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jan 12, 14 11:08 am     Reply with quote

This seems like a great idea, especially for beginners. The website isn't working for me, but I'll keep my eyes out for it. I'd love to have this for teaching my boys to kite. Is the release pressure adjustable for smaller people?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Jan 13, 14 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Hey everybody! Sorry, haven't checked in to NWkite in a bit!

To answer a few questions:

Yes, it is completely adjustable for riders of any weight and skill level. You adjust it at home by adding or removing shims. Each shim changes the release tension by 15 pounds.

Once adjusted, you have four rider selectable release tensions.
1. Manual Release. Self-explanatory.
2. Launch/Land. I adjust this to 80% of rider weight. This prevents inadvertent loftings and most inadvertent drags. Riders of different skill levels may prefer to increase/decrease this level. This tension is adjustable at home and takes about 5 minutes and a few basic tools.
3. Ride. This position increases release tension by about 40%. This allows you to ride with a reduced level of protection, however jumps or extremely hard starts may cause a release. This position can be bypassed by the experienced rider or used to ride to or from the launch.
4. Lock. Self explanatory. It's locked, it ain't releasing, period.

For experienced riders, a "Jump Lock"--added or removed at home in about 30 seconds--adds a lock which prevents the KiteRelease from coming out of "Lock" without very specific input from the rider. It completely prevents any possibility of an accidental release. Beginners should not use the "Jump Lock", experienced riders probably will prefer using the "Jump Lock". It engages automatically when you shift the KiteRelease in to "Lock". It adds about 1 second or less to coming out of "Lock".

Shifting between positions is easy, fast, and takes one hand. You don't need to look at it, you shift it by feel. This includes using the "Jump Lock". One hand, no eyes.

Additionally, the KiteRelease uses a "Soft Shackle" which eliminates the Donkey Dick. It works SO MUCH better than a Donkey Dick, for both hooked and un-hooked riding.

I've used one KiteRelease for about 4 or 5 years now. It's easier to use than a regular spreader bar--no donkey dick--, safer, and it's damn near bulletproof. I've used it in every imaginable condition and it has never, ever, failed in any way. It has saved my ass on several occasions.

I have videos of it in use, I'll try and get the website back up soon.

I have US, European and several other patents on the KiteRelease and the Soft Shackle. My plan at this point is to sell the KiteRelease to a company that has the means to produce it.

BTW, the Soft Shackle could be used on a standard spreader bar, doing away with the donkey dick. Ride with the Soft Shackle once, and I guarantee that no rider of any skill level will want to use a Donkey Dick ever again. The Soft Shackle is worlds better for any use and any rider, period. Pull the chicken loop into the hook, the Soft Shackle engages. To unhook just pull down on the control bar. You have to pull down in an exaggerated motion to get it to release. I have had zero inadvertent releases of the Soft Shackle in all of these years.

Thanks for all of the interest! Sorry I haven't been able to get it on the market. Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: