Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting in Coloraod
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri May 27, 16 8:29 am     Reply with quote

And here is the same pic with me photo shoped to make the wave look waist high.

WaistHighwave.jpg 

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostFri May 27, 16 10:39 am    Seminoe is also a good option Reply with quote

I live in Colorado, but don't generally kite there.

We traveled far and wide in the area - to me - Seminoe Res north of Rawlins Wyo was the best - sandy beach, remote camping and good wind. You can count on being the only one there kiting.

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostFri May 27, 16 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

I live in Denver and there's pretty much only Aurora res and Standley Lake here in town. Haven't been to Standley, yet, but Aurora is pretty decent if the conditions are right (south wind, smoother out in the channel).

We typically go up to WY for decent kiteboarding. We go to Wheatland 3 a lot. It's super remote and you have to share the shore with a handful of fishermen, but they typically keep to themselves and will at least stop to talk (as long as you ask about their fishing results). This last weekend some fisherman just visited out a .38 and started plunking away at some varmint with us only 100ft away, which can be disconcerting, but it just goes along with being in WY. It's about 3:15 away from Denver.

Lake Hattie, just southwest of Laramie, is a decent destination, but it's not my favorite (for a relative noob). Ive seen gusts way over 200% of avg wind speed and it's a tight launch / land spot. (So is Aurora, FYI).

Lately we have started scouting southern Colorado. Trinidad reservoir Rangers said they'd be totally cool with us coming down there, but not sure if that's true for every set of Rangers. You just never know around here. We have been eyeballing lake Meredith for this weekend, but the forecast looks like trash, so we'll be hitting up Wheatland. If you wanna see what that's like, I posted a video that has very little kitebording, but shows the ridiculous side of WY kiteboarding and the pain we must endure to occasionally ride.
https://youtu.be/rs-6UkTRYwE

Mac is good, but the high water is a bummer and we got stuck in a tornado / hailstorm their last summer, so it's kinda sketchballs at times. From Denver, it's probably 3:30 away.

Send me a PM if you wanna hook up for some riding around here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: