Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting in Coloraod
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostTue May 24, 16 7:14 am    Kiting in Coloraod Reply with quote

Wanted to get out and it was nuking by my house this Sun. We have a resevoir about 20 min from my house, there is no wind meter. I took my chances, went up to Reudi Res, about 20 miles from Basalt.
It was nuking. Rigged an 11 and kited for 1.5 hours in 45 degree water. It was so sweet. I was told by the guys at the Aspen Yacht Club, they no one has ever kited on there before.

Either way, was so nice to get out with out having to travel somewhere.

IMG_8964.jpg 
   IMG_8966.jpg 
   IMG_8968.jpg 

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
882 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue May 24, 16 7:28 am    Re: Kiting in Coloraod Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
I was told by the guys at the Aspen Yacht Club, they no one has ever kited on there before.

Pioneering new spots and being the first ever is one of the most exciting aspects to any board sport. Way to go!

Smile

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 24, 16 8:19 am    Awesome ! Reply with quote

Nice score ! great scenery

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Last edited by Jonpnw on Wed May 25, 16 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue May 24, 16 8:35 pm     Reply with quote

go up on the white surf behind the pic as well.

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostWed May 25, 16 6:29 am    way to score Reply with quote

COLORADICAL

jkspinuzzi

Since 15 May 2016
5 Posts
Bend
Kook

PostWed May 25, 16 7:38 pm    I knew it could happen Reply with quote

I'm from Colorado, have always wanted to move back but won't go until I know I can kite somewhere. Thanks for sharing your experience, it makes me hopeful. I know they snow kite on Lake Dillon in the winter but I'm not ready to give up the water.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu May 26, 16 6:49 am     Reply with quote

dont come rushing back for this. It was cold and gusty. Mountain winds.
here is one more with some great scenary

13227259_10209529486544183_2760232401269918935_o.jpg 

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostThu May 26, 16 7:46 am     Reply with quote

Nice work Matt! Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

jkspinuzzi

Since 15 May 2016
5 Posts
Bend
Kook

PostThu May 26, 16 9:02 am    No worries Reply with quote

I've heard the next closest is a lake in Nebraska? I drive 3 hours from Bend OR to Rufus OR to kite right now, I've been told there's a lake in Nebraska 3 hours from Denver with summer kiting. Do you know anything about that?

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu May 26, 16 10:49 am    Re: No worries Reply with quote

jkspinuzzi wrote:
I've heard the next closest is a lake in Nebraska? I drive 3 hours from Bend OR to Rufus OR to kite right now, I've been told there's a lake in Nebraska 3 hours from Denver with summer kiting. Do you know anything about that?

Yes, here is the problem, right now the lake is full and according to the guy from the Kite Farm, you can not kite because there is no were to launch. Now, i dont know why you can not do a drift launch but that is what he said.
You can start kiting there once the lake comes down, in July. I have never been but heard it is pretty good.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostThu May 26, 16 5:38 pm    Re: No worries Reply with quote

jkspinuzzi wrote:
Lake McConaughy - I-80 exit 126 (Ogallala).

waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostFri May 27, 16 5:15 am     Reply with quote

Big sandy about 5 miles north of farson wy is a SWEET spot. Maybe a little farther than lake McConaughey but you can camp on the beach and you wont see another person. Its a very windy spot.

image.jpeg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  image.jpeg
 Filesize:  1.01 MB
 Downloaded:  397 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

image.jpeg
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  777.86 KB
 Downloaded:  484 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri May 27, 16 6:45 am     Reply with quote

waynepjh wrote:
Big sandy about 5 miles north of farson wy is a SWEET spot. Maybe a little farther than lake McConaughey but you can camp on the beach and you wont see another person. Its a very windy spot.

Wow that place looks sweet. Will have to check it out

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri May 27, 16 6:59 am     Reply with quote

waynepjh wrote:

this is actually closer to me than Makanahe. Only 5 hours as apposed to 7. Any idea on a wind meter there?

waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostFri May 27, 16 7:40 am     Reply with quote

On wind alert i use the gauge in farson to get a forecast. I also use noaa weather point forecast.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-109.42669105705995&lat=42.27770608193691#.V0hnyvROKJI

The winds there can be quite gusty in the middle of the day but rideable. We usually show up to kite around 2-3. Best wind is last 3-4 hours before sunset.

image.jpeg 

image.jpeg
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  221.87 KB
 Downloaded:  388 Time(s)

image.jpeg
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  583.75 KB
 Downloaded:  393 Time(s)

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri May 27, 16 7:56 am     Reply with quote

Nice pic Wane!

Don't forget Wilson Reservoir in near Lucas Kansas. The launches are pretty good right now with the water low. One red sand beach, one mud beach function as our regular launches. the water is clear and has a slightly salty taste to it (like sweat) as it is fed from the Saline river. Wear booties as it has zebra muscles (quagga too) in it. Lucas point campground is the best for launching a kite, though, you can launch pretty much anywhere at this water level.

This lake gave me the cleanest wind I have ever had, even on the ocean! I was on a 9.5m, 200lber was on a 17m, and a beginner was on a 13.5m. When we came, we all looked at each other and asked how we felt with the kite size. All of us could jump a high as we wanted, and none of us felt over powered. And I was the heaviest on a 9.5. Cleaner than the coast!

WilsonKansas1.jpg 

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri May 27, 16 8:10 am     Reply with quote

Pics from Mac last week 5/18 to 5/21. The water is now too high to beach launch easily. But it should be back to a perfect level with lots of sand flats to make some awesome shorebreak by September when I roll through again. And thanks to Steve for taking some pics as I am usually too lazy.

FullSizeRender[7].jpg 
   FullSizeRender[9].jpg 
   FullSizeRender[12].jpg 
   IMG_2408.JPG 
   IMG_2430.JPG 
   IMG_2432.JPG 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: