Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Watch out for a couple fishing at Rufus
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
rightguard

Since 22 Oct 2012
29 Posts
Maui

PostTue Aug 26, 14 9:40 am     Reply with quote

I think this is a problem all over the world... On Maui we were having issues because one family wanted to play in an area that was heavily used by kiters.

Remember just because it is the best launch or maybe even the only launch it doesn't mean you get to chase off someone else using the spot. It's your and only your responsibility to not hurt others. I would be pissed if you launched your kite into my wife, even if she was sitting in your way.

Do you run over pedestrians if they are in the road?

I was at the event site one morning swimming with my 6 year old nephew. As the wind picked up I couldn't believe that people would come over and launch right next to us and then yell at us to get out of the way. That place is huge and they chose to launch next to us.

I wouldn't choose to swim in the middle of a bunch of kiters so why choose to kite in the middle of a bunch of swimmers?

Can't we all just get along?

Jimbo

Since 16 Jul 2009
58 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Aug 26, 14 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

In early part of the season there were lots of fisher-people at Rufus. There were poles every 5-10 feet along the bank and right up to the end in the cove. Some of the kiters were grumbling about it but we all managed to launch at the end of the cove and there were only a couple of instances because of the current where someone snagged a fishing line. I found the fisher-people to be pretty friendly and at one point a few of them even gave up a bit more of the beach at the cove so we could launch and land. My only concern was the remnants of fishing line and hooks left behind. I picked a number of hooks that could have punctured a foot or kite.

The instance in this post is a different instance but I think this whole thing can be avoided by just communicating to whom may be "in the way" that we are going to launch and they might just want to move for a few minutes while we launch...otherwise enjoy the show. I think if you are kiting at Rufus you should be adroit enough as a kiter to be able to avoid the fisher-people.

Alternatively if you go west down the river about 60 yards past the rock pile there is a nice sandy launch where the rocks are actually flat and less painful on your feet. However you have to stand in the water to launch your kite and then bring it overhead. It is not a big deal but not as forgiving as in the cove.

Kiters are just a blip on the history of the use at Rufus. Everyone just needs to be respectful and cool and everything should be just fine. I think it will all (pun intended) blow over.

Be Stoked!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

bill77i83

Since 09 Aug 2014
3 Posts

Kook

PostFri Aug 29, 14 11:10 am     Reply with quote

I do worry about access issues down the road as bigjohn and others have noted. I does seem to have busier this summer. However I think jimbo said it well and thanks for the tip on an alternative launch point jimbo!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 29, 14 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
I think if you are kiting at Rufus you should be adroit enough as a kiter to be able to avoid the fisher-people.

This is perhaps the best advice I have seen yet. My last 2 sessions at Rufus I have seen novice mistakes that could have ended badly. Luckily there are not many poles out now...

A quick glance at the license plates will tell you that a substantial percentage of the kiters at Rufus are vacationers... Don't get me wrong, I welcome tourists to The Gorge, however it should be publicized that Rufus is at minimum an intermediate location (if things go bad, the current takes you down river quickly creating considerable challenges getting back to your vehicle), and when there are fishing poles out, it is an advanced launch only.

Last edited by bigjohn on Fri Aug 29, 14 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostFri Aug 29, 14 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

rightguard wrote:

Do you run over pedestrians if they are in the road?

That depends. Are you playing the original Grand Theft Auto? And are you looking to get a Mambo bonus?

Laughing Laughing

OK - I'm kidding.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostFri Aug 29, 14 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
My last 2 sessions at Rufus I have seen novice mistakes that could have ended badly.

I've seen plenty of kooks, locals and veterans make "entitled" decisions as well as ill advised novice decisions at Rufus, Marina, Wunder, Hook.. etc... I'm sure at some point we are all guilty of such behavior in some form or fashion. It is best for all of us to be the bigger person in any conflict and to be proactive in keeping ourselves and our situations safe as well as looking out for others. um err.. something like that anyway...

www.freeridekiting.com

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostFri Aug 29, 14 5:09 pm    Re: Watch out for a couple fishing at Rufus Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
bill77i83 wrote:
I thought she might take a stab at the kite and then I saw that the blade was pointed in my direction and she had a very angry/crazed look on her face. She started ranting at me so now I’m wondering if she’s going to take a swipe at me.

Snagglecarpus would be SO proud!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Aug 29, 14 5:54 pm     Reply with quote

I thought we took it all in '08.
Drunk

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSat Aug 30, 14 9:05 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
I thought we took it all in '08.
Drunk
WE TOOOOOOOOOOOOK IT ALL IN 08 WEEEEEEEEEEEETOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL INNNNNNNNNNNN 08. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

4560_1108767872805_3526112_n.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: