Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kiting south wind in the rain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jan 16, 11 10:10 pm    kiting south wind in the rain Reply with quote

I was at Cannon Beach this weekend hoping to get out with the wind averaging 25-28kt and a 11ft swell. My plan was to stay on the inside with my 6m Rally. It was also raining hard. I eventually decided against it and returned to my warm house with my tail between my legs. I'm a stong intermediate with many days on the coast, but the rain rattled me a bit. I was concerned that the kite may behave differently in rain- a sluggish kite, more gusty, possible updrafts? I'm interested to hear some opinions on the rain issue. Am I a total wimp or were my instincts right?

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
835 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Jan 17, 11 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Sorry, you're a wimp. Kiting in the rain is no big deal. The kite will be heavier, and will tend to move a little slower, but not a problem. The worst thing for me about kiting in the rain is when it hits your face and gets in your eyes. Probably wouldn't be as much of a problem for most, but with contacts, it can make it a bit tougher to see for me.

Otherwise, just hit it!

mackconsult

Since 13 Jul 2010
30 Posts
Vancouver, WA

PostMon Jan 17, 11 9:56 am     Reply with quote

Ah ... motorcycle or snow goggles would be in order.

Pete wrote:
Sorry, you're a wimp. Kiting in the rain is no big deal. The kite will be heavier, and will tend to move a little slower, but not a problem. The worst thing for me about kiting in the rain is when it hits your face and gets in your eyes. Probably wouldn't be as much of a problem for most, but with contacts, it can make it a bit tougher to see for me.

Otherwise, just hit it!

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
835 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Jan 17, 11 10:14 am     Reply with quote

mackconsult wrote:

Thought about that, but I am pretty sure they would be fogged up in a matter of seconds.

mackconsult

Since 13 Jul 2010
30 Posts
Vancouver, WA

PostMon Jan 17, 11 10:15 am     Reply with quote

I ride my XR600R in the rain out in the woods all the time. We use rainx on the outside and inside just make sure they are really clean first.

Pete wrote:
mackconsult wrote:

Thought about that, but I am pretty sure they would be fogged up in a matter of seconds.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
882 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostMon Jan 17, 11 11:51 am     Reply with quote

It can be done pretty easily if air temps are not too cold. Kite gets wet and flys just a bit slower. This is what it looks like from riders perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgDteKGeHCQ

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostMon Jan 17, 11 2:08 pm     Reply with quote

A wet kite has never been a problem. Here's some threads that might shed some light on the issue in a roundabout way...I'm sure there are more buried in the forum somewhere...

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-3285.html&highlight=kiting+rain
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-3853-0-asc-0.html
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-7071.html&highlight=kiting+rain

I think you have to experiment with winter storm systems to get to know the beast, and get yarded on your ear a few times to get the picture. You just don't want those lessons to be too epic......plenty of soggy days to mess around with that are not Victory at Sea events.

Don't be afraid of the rain....the gusts are different story....study the sensors and know your weather...

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jan 17, 11 2:48 pm     Reply with quote

Yea, I think I used the rain as an excuse. The real deal was the whole winter kiting experience with strong, gusty winds, big swell, debris in the water, heavy rips and then topping it off with driving rain. Summer kiting on the coast does seem downright tame compared to winter. Thanks for the feedback and threads. I think I'll continue to be more selective on my winter days versus just blasting out there in the summer.

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 18, 11 4:19 pm     Reply with quote

Riding in the rain is awesome!...for 2 reasons: 1) it cuts the ocean salt factor down, and 2) you know that everyone else is sitting inside watching you ride thinking "I wish that was me out there! Sad" Very Happy

....and don't forget, south wind usually equals warmer wind.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
882 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue Jan 18, 11 7:36 pm     Reply with quote

Another thing to consider when kiting south winds on the coast is direction. The more the wind turns westerly the steadier the wind tends to get unless it is an unstable air mass with thunderheads. Look at one of the sensors on the coast to see what the degrees (direction) is before and after kiting to see what is happening and what transpired while you were in the water. 180 degrees and greater is what I usually look for when I am going to make the call for a "go out". Less than 180 degrees indicates it is SE wind and that can mean "dirty and gusty" wind, and I would rather wait until the front starts to move through and turn the wind more out of the west. The best is when it is between 195 and 270 degrees for steadiness. This makes for super fun side onshore to strait onshore conditions and incredible downwinders if you have a team of riders willing to put in the time to shuttle cars and commit to a day of adventure.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jan 18, 11 8:28 pm    the word of experience Reply with quote

Windian wrote:
Another thing to consider when kiting south winds on the coast is direction. The more the wind turns westerly the steadier the wind tends to get unless it is an unstable air mass with thunderheads. Look at one of the sensors on the coast to see what the degrees (direction) is before and after kiting to see what is happening and what transpired while you were in the water. 180 degrees and greater is what I usually look for when I am going to make the call for a "go out". Less than 180 degrees indicates it is SE wind and that can mean "dirty and gusty" wind, and I would rather wait until the front starts to move through and turn the wind more out of the west. The best is when it is between 195 and 270 degrees for steadiness. This makes for super fun side onshore to strait onshore conditions and incredible downwinders if you have a team of riders willing to put in the time to shuttle cars and commit to a day of adventure.

Good advice there, Windian. The winds were SE in nature Sat pm and Sun am when I was thinking of heading out. At the time I was thinking it was all South. But looking back at iwindsurf data, it was all <180 until Sun afternoon. I could see your point in the SE winds being gustier and water filled with more debris. What a great forum we have here. Thanks, nwkite members.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: