Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

flying foils around portland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
archkiter

Since 18 Dec 2005
32 Posts
p-town

PostSat Jan 14, 06 7:37 pm    flying foils around portland Reply with quote

hi,

does anyone know any good spots to fly foils (large ones) around portland? large fields or beaches along the river?

thanks,
stacey

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Jan 14, 06 11:24 pm     Reply with quote

You could try out by the Airport off of Marine Drive near NE 33rd. There is a small park with a pretty big sandy/grassy field above. On east wind days it gets very strong there, I've seen a lot of people just having fun with 2-4m foils. East wind usually means dry too so that'd be nice.

archkiter

Since 18 Dec 2005
32 Posts
p-town

PostThu Jan 19, 06 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

i didn't find the sandy grassy field- but I did discover that there are some big (muddy Twisted Evil ) soccer fields at delta park- if only it hadn't started to rain as soon as I got set up on Sunday Mad .

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Jan 19, 06 2:45 pm     Reply with quote

Whenever JP and I are back in town we normally go play at the airport. A couple weeks back I went out at like 10:00PM and was perfect (solid 20mph) on my 11m. It's a nice wide open place, but the sand is kinda dirty, and the silt in it is a pain in the ass to get off your clothes, etc. Oh well, still better than muddy grass fields.

archkiter

Since 18 Dec 2005
32 Posts
p-town

PostFri Jan 20, 06 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
Whenever JP and I are back in town we normally go play at the airport. A couple weeks back I went out at like 10:00PM and was perfect (solid 20mph) on my 11m. It's a nice wide open place, but the sand is kinda dirty, and the silt in it is a pain in the ass to get off your clothes, etc. Oh well, still better than muddy grass fields.

Sounds cool. can you pinpoint the location on google earth? looks like there is a bit of open space around there- but it all looked like fenced off/ private land when I drove around trying to find the spot.

Cheers, Stace

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Jan 20, 06 8:58 pm     Reply with quote

Here's a Google Earth shot that I drew on awhile back... You can actually park on the Columbia side of Marine Drive, if the spaces are open. I've been doing so a lot more lately, only because the parking lot (where I wrote, "park here") across the way is kinda muddy with BIG puddles!

archkiter

Since 18 Dec 2005
32 Posts
p-town

PostMon Jan 23, 06 11:36 am    found it! Reply with quote

Thanks for the map. Went out there on Sunday but no wind Evil or Very Mad
Seems like the planes fly really close....sounds like you haven't had any problems with this though. Will have to try again when there is some good wind.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Jan 23, 06 11:53 am     Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the wind... It's awesome when you have a solid breeze, but when there's not, it's just a pain in the ass. My last few sessions out there screwing around were shitty (occasional gust to ~10-15 with completely dead lulls) before that last late night. And as for the planes, they do seem low, and you might have heard people talking about catching their jetwash/turbulence (out on the water), but I've never had any problems. If you've got iKitesurf/Windsurf, its observations are about dead on for PDX/airport. Good luck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: