Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ft. Stevens this weekend?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostThu Dec 15, 05 3:42 pm    Ft. Stevens this weekend? Reply with quote

hey fellas,

do you guys think ft. stevens will be windy enough saturday? forecast calls for E/SE at 15 and the meter today was around 10. i have seen the meter at 14 and guys were on 8's and 10's actually because the meter reads low.

anybody out that way or have an idea?

thanks
kt

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Dec 15, 05 5:04 pm     Reply with quote

I'd be totally down, that is if I don't go snowkiting with Tucker on Sat or something. Never have ridden or tried to forecast the northern coast so I don't have a clue where to start (I'll check ikitesurf right after this).

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostThu Dec 15, 05 6:48 pm     Reply with quote

went down the other day and it was damn cold. the wind has been up and down for some reason so not really worth the drive for me.
Bandito

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Dec 16, 05 6:26 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, it's gonna be cold. I hear even with gloves your good for an hour - hour and a half before things start falling off.

You can watch the Desdemona site. Strangely it seems to read high, i.e. look for a low reading of 20 for bigger kite stuff. The tide flow obviously makes a big difference.

I would love to try snowkiting. If you guys go please let us know where your headed or PM me.

I read in Kiteworld mag that Timberline has some out of bounds area designated for kiting? About a k from the top of Palmer?

This weekend looks like East up there?

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostFri Dec 16, 05 10:41 am     Reply with quote

hey fellas,

thanks for the posts. you are probably right, it is a bit cold. i was out at stevenson in late november and only lasted about 50 minutes before the hands start to freeze.

sooooo, are east winds good up on mt. hood and if so, where?

kt

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostFri Dec 16, 05 3:12 pm     Reply with quote

yea if the wind isnt so good for snowkiting i will deffinitly try the coast. the snowkitng spot I have been thinking of going to is called dalles mt. here are some pics and directions http://ghs.gresham.k12.or.us/science/ps/nature/gorge/views/dallesmt.htm
as for the coast i am pretty sure you can handle the water if you have a good 4/3 with booties and gloves, the water out there stays relatively warm all year round. last weekend it was 30 degree air and 42 degree water at veinto and i was cold but not hypothermic. the coast is like 35 degree air and 50 degree water

lawnmowerman

Since 19 Mar 2005
12 Posts
Gorge USA

PostFri Dec 16, 05 4:32 pm    Ft Stevens Reply with quote

I spoke with Ben at Kiteworld in Hammond, OR yesterday. he says that the best place to kite at Ft Stevens is parking lot D where there is a lagoon. he says to walk out on the wood boardwalk to get to the lagoon. He said that if the windguage at Clatsop Spit is reading 10 or more it is more like 20mph there. water and air are about 40 or so. DO NOT land your kite in the seemingly harmless looking grass or you will have dozens of holes in your kite!

Tucker is right about Viento. too cold to kite. it's been about 27 degrees last few days but the wind is perfect 13m... pic below is Tak at Viento Sunday, 12-11-05.

IM001048 (14).JPG 

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostFri Dec 16, 05 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

You gotta check the tides for lot D though. Get it on high or incoming tide. Low tide there's not much water there unless you're willing to hike to the other side of the pylons. When the tide moves there it moves quick.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Dec 17, 05 10:04 am     Reply with quote

Lawnmower, you should add your pic of Tak to the Best Photos of 2005, its a nice one. Thumb's Up

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Dec 17, 05 9:04 pm     Reply with quote

Did anyone go? It looked cold but plenty windy.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Dec 18, 05 9:17 am     Reply with quote

Barfly launched his 7m and couldn't hold it down. Sasquatch arrived later and found the wind was still severe and no launch space at high tide.

I stayed home, curled up by the fire.
Cool

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Dec 18, 05 10:21 am     Reply with quote

This years season started for me at parking lot D on Feb 27th. I wanted to mark a december session so I could claim a 11 month season, but it was not in the cards yesterday.

I arrived at parking lot D at 12:15 surprised to find no one out there with the the talk and posts and all. High tide for Young's Bay was at 1:23pm, so I figured I would have some time and launch space before high tide. This was not the case at all, the the High tide being 9.6 ft, way above anything I have seen there before (due to recent full moon on the 15th). The water was into any and all beach grass areas if you have seen it/been there before. Tons of debris left from the previous night's higher high tide. There was probably about 200 yards between the point and the pilon, with a nice channel of 2' high swell coming in on the flood tide. Bigger and better swell out farther in the bay. I am sure my 8m would of been packed. That coupled with the cold temps and no one else out there I headed over to the lookout at the south jetty. There I watched the 12' SW swell battle the offshore east winds. The waves would ramp up and then the top 1/3 would explode the opposite direction into white water/liquid smoke. All the while the sun was in the background lighting up the entire show. Also while passing the time, I saw some 18'' to 24'' white owls. I couldn't believe what I was seeing (owls never come out during the day), but after doing some research I guess these owls migrate from Alaska during the winter and hunt during the day in the dunes. It was pretty cool to see. The weather was rather warm in the shelter of the dunes/beach grass.

I went back to parking lot D at 2:30, but the tide had not receeded enough, so I drove from the ship wreck on the beach to Sunset beach, no one on the beach the entire segment, then down to Barfly's for a quick visit and recap on his sailing adventure on the mouth of the Necan. river at Seaside.

Headed to Rooster this arvo just to witness Mother Nature ie wind and frozen waterfalls. God i am f-ing bored. It needs to snow some more and or I wish my LV vacation was sooner.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSun Dec 18, 05 10:48 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch,
Heading into the frozen gorge sounds like fun. Give me a call if you want someone to come along and take some pictures. 503-706-6012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: