Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gorge Snowkiting Pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Airnsails

Since 22 Jun 2005
104 Posts
Hood River, OR
Stoked

PostMon Dec 12, 05 4:23 pm    Gorge Snowkiting Pics Reply with quote

Check out www.ussnowkite.com for some recent snowkite photos in four different locations around the Gorge. There is still a lot of snow in the foot hills. Come on out and ride!

Some new vids up too.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostTue Dec 13, 05 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

Wow! What are some spots that are still ridable? Lately i have been freezing my ass off kiting in the water so kiting in the snow looks really nice. Anybody planning on going out?

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostTue Dec 13, 05 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Tucker at least you have the balls to go out in that cold water. That week in Florida has killed my desire to go out and freeze. I will be in Mexico in 3 weeks, so at least I have something to look forward to.

In the mean time, I am hoping for some fresh snow to go an play on....

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Dec 13, 05 4:40 pm     Reply with quote

kiteboard117 wrote:
Anybody planning on going out?

I was wondering the same thing. Airnsails mentioned getting up on the rim of the Gorge. I would like more specifics. Hospital Hill is easy access I guess. Would love to take a shot at it this weekend if there's still coverage (and wind of course).

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostTue Dec 13, 05 5:10 pm    Bingen, Dalles Mountain Ranch information Reply with quote

Information from the Cascade Paragliding Club web site
http://www.cascadeparaglidingclub.org/pages/bingen.html

Bingen

Note: As of 5/5/99 we are no longer allowed to use Ramsey Lane to drive to launch; use Courtney Rd instead

Description of Site: Overlooking the Columbia River Gorge, Bingen is Gorgeous. A deluxe manicured grass LZ at the Bingen Marina from a 2 100' sled ride with soaring potential with a reasonable drive around makes this one of the gorge's premier sites. With south and west launches it works best sunny & calm, but also works in very light east or west winds (under 10 mph). On good thermal days, gains of 2500' are common with XC potential to the east. if there is a wind, westerlies are best from the Intermediate west launch, east winds tend to be rough and unpredictable making for crosswind launches and tumbling air at the south launch. Unfortunately, Bingen bisects the high wind windsurfing capitol of North America and private property. If there are whitecaps on the river at Bingen Marina or a wind line is moving from the west, it is blown out. Like all other Gorge sites, pilots must keep a sharp eye on the river for the streaks of dull looking water and whitecapswarning signs of the Gorge locomotive, The Wind.

Directions to Launch & LZ:
LZ: Find the blinking yellow light on Hwy. 14 in Bingen, WA. Follow 14 east through light to next right at Silver tanks and Marina sign pass Boat Ramp and go to the manicured point and parking. From here, one can look up to the uppermost field and see the south launch.
Launch: From Marina, exit right onto Hwy. 14 and go about 3.5 miles to a left on Courtney Rd. Follow steep road up to gravel and continue taking right turns following signs to Ya'at'e'eh. After about 2.5 miles, the road will narrow. Look for a right "Y" on H500 road. Road will become rutted and pass through trees to a clearing in sloping meadows. Park on side of road before the road climbs back into scrub oak stand. Directly above to the NW is the South Launch with a distinctive lone oak tree in the middle of a steep south facing slope. From parking area walk straight out 200 feet and cross fence through gate, be sure gate is closed, and then hike up to upper fence line and launch below fence above oak tree. The West Launch is around the corner to the northwest about 300 yards. Hike along fence to trail in scattered trees, up and right to open grass meadows. Ascend to west facing open fields and the Intermediate west launch from which you cannot see the LZ.

Site Protocol: The launches are on a ranch that tolerates paragliding and care must be taken with fences and private property owners that are adjacent. The LZ is in a public park, so be aware of other park users. Be cool; don't spook cows, be low key and fly safely.

Local Contacts:
Stan Harryman (site liaison)
Rick Higgins
Robert "CB" Schmaltz

Submitted by: Scratch & CB
Last Revision Date: 8/17/2002

http://www.cascadeparaglidingclub.org/pages/dallesmtn.html
Dalles Mountain Ranch
On April 17, 2000, Joe Lawry and Rick Higgins worked with the Park Rangers at Dalles Mountain Ranch to open the site for paragliding. They built a bulletin board and put up a windsock in the LZ. The rangers have brought in a picnic table, and are willing to do other improvements if our club is willing to adopt-a-park. They are also willing to bring in more gravel for the parking areas and to plant trees if we help with the cost. Thanks to Pat Erwin for writing letters to the Washington State Parks to help get this site open.

The directions to Dalles Mountain Ranch are: Take I-84 to The Dalles and go north on SR 197, crossing The Dalles bridge. Go to Hwy 14 in Washington and turn right (east) on Hwy 14. Take the next road on the left (Dalles Mountain Road). Go 4.3 miles to the parking area and the bulletin board. You should be able to see the windsock in the LZ. Hike up about 1200 ft, past the windsock and follow the fence line to the top launch at about 2400 ft. There are flags and streamers there. The east side of the fence is private property.

This site works on a south, southwest, and west wind. There are two nice launches halfway up the mountain. The LZ is grassy and large, and there is a windsock in the middle of the LZ.

For those pilots who have flown the "Bootkick" at The Dalles Mountain in the past, this site is very similar. Pilots have been up to 8,000 ft MSL at the Bootkick in the past. XC flights have been over 37 miles from the Bootkick, so this site should be great! It can be soarable with the right conditions. It is possible to get high if you stay with thermals that track up and back.

Site Liaison:
Rick Higgins

Submitted by: Rick Higgins 8/17/2002

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostTue Dec 13, 05 6:52 pm     Reply with quote

Rick,

Your a paraglide instructor right? You and I need to be talking this spring...

Thanks, Jon "Bam Bam" Malmberg

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Dec 14, 05 1:29 pm     Reply with quote

How about Trillium lake? I assume it freezes over solid enough to kite on. Does it have enough exposure to the wind?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Dec 14, 05 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

I was wondering about Trillium as well, but I have no idea on the wind. The next time I head to the mountain, I might swing by there, just to see how it is... From Google Earth it looks like it would be an awesome place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: