Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snowkiting kites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
mauiwater

PostMon Dec 05, 05 9:40 pm    Snowkiting kites Reply with quote

Any advice on the type of kite to use for snowkiting? I would like to use my Cabrinha Crossbow 12 or Best Nemesis 8, but have read some articles on open cell paraafoil kites being better for snow than inflatables.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Dec 06, 05 6:39 pm     Reply with quote

Aaron and Alex from Slingshot are both using LEI kites (Machines and Fuels), so I don't think there should be a problem. I haven't actually got to snowkite this season yet, but when I do, I'll be on either my Fuel 11 or 7. Really don't like traction style kites that much, but if I had to ride one, it'd probably be a Slingy.

Also I should mention... I'm not a huge fan of bow kites, but they would probably be some of the safest to use (if the conditions are sketchy) as you have the ability to depower so much. A Oneline setup on the Slingy's (should keep you just as safe), but it is harder to use on land for relaunch, which is why those guys are probably using their ATLs. And again, the only reason I mention these "safety" systems is because, I'm sure there could be those times when you're super-overpowered and there's big trees around... Not tryin' to get killed like that! Wink

bosco

Since 07 Dec 2005
4 Posts

Kook

PostWed Dec 07, 05 8:15 am     Reply with quote

While any kite can be used pretty much anywhere, there are specific designs that allow kites to work and fly better in their particular environments. Inflatable tubes made kites float and relaunch easier on water, opening up kitesurfing to the world. And for the past 6 years Ozone has been devoted to Snowkiting and has pefected technology for Snow-specific kites.

The Ozone Frenzy and Access Snowkites are the sweetest kites on the snow. They are not only high performance kites with massive de-power ranges, they also have the features you are looking for in a high-end Snowkite that will make life simple and easy so you can enjoy the ride.

-With open cells there is no pumping, and also no pump to carry with you. (Ask Dimitri from Airush about his pump that cracked last weekend at Skyline, and the guys whose bladders were so cold and stiff they couldn't get them inflated).
- Leash-less safety that is simple and works every time, giving the rider complete peace of mind that no matter what the scenario is, they can safely kill the kite.
- Super durable and abrasion resistant thanks to the dual skin foil design. Ozone foils are built bombproof to handle abuse and last for years.
- Simple reverse launch set up for easy solo use. Just pull the red line, the kite flips and you are riding.

-For those about to fly (or jump really big), Think about this. Would you rather have a kite that has only four lines carrying your body weight to the kite.......or would you rather have a kite like a Frenzy that has a simple bridle system that spreads the load of your body weight across the entire kite? Just look at any parachute or paraglider, and you won't see any models with only four attachment points. For safety while 'flying' the Frenzy is the only Snowkite built to paragliding standards, so when you decide you want to fly off of a snow covered hill, you can be confident in your gear.

Most importantly tho, isn't what you fly, but how much you enjoy flying!

Windzup,
Brian Schenck
www.ozonesnowkites.com

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Dec 07, 05 9:51 am     Reply with quote

Good stuff bosco! Thumb's Up Just of out curiousity, how cold was it? Seems like you'd have to get pretty far down there (negative?) to "freeze" a bladder, unless the strut itself was still soaked/wet, or something... Confused

bosco

Since 07 Dec 2005
4 Posts

Kook

PostWed Dec 07, 05 10:20 am     Reply with quote

Hey Kataku,

It was freaking cold up there this past weekend, and still is actually. Sunday morning I had a reading of 5 degrees. Monday it was close to zero by the afternoon/evening. And the highs at some point were 10-15 degrees most days. While riding you could stay warm, but standing around was cold. We went through a couple of boxes of handwarmers and a couple of tanks of propane in the heated tent.

The kite pumps were making these crazy loud creaking sounds with every stroke. And unfortunately Dimitri's pump cracked and broke due to the cold. It was kind of funny actually, because he road up with the Ozone crew, and after he broke the pump he looked around asking for a spare pump, when he realized he was in a van full of foil kites and there wasn't a second pump around! Fortunately someone showed up with a spare later for him.

I think the most trouble people really had was taking their gloves off to deal with rigging lines and pinching valves. Truth is, those types of conditions aren't the funnest, but you can still ride and have a good time. It was definitely hard core riding conditions due to the cold, the snow, and the low-visibility.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: