Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snowkiting Pictures On Mt Hood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
airinsails

PostMon Nov 14, 05 6:31 pm    Snowkiting Pictures On Mt Hood Reply with quote

http://ussnowkite.blogspot.com/

You gotta love an early snowfall!!!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Nov 14, 05 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

Damn that's awesome! I was just wondering the other day if it was okay to kite at the "resorts" (T-line, Meadows, etc.), or if anyone cared. Obvioiusly I wouldn't try setting up in the middle of Mile at T-Line, but I'd love to try Cascade at Meadows (or somewhere similar) on a not so busy day.

P.S. - You guys were on Octanes, right? If so, what's the benefit over say a Fuel 7 or 9?

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostTue Nov 15, 05 9:43 am     Reply with quote

WOW! this looks fantastic.

aaron, is this just up on the right, facing the mountian, from the overflow parking lot? i snowshoe/snowboard up that stretch a lot but, it sure would be nice to kite it. my smallest is a 10, should i get a small foil for this? or maybe a 7?

i have never been snowkiting so, this will be new and fun!

kt

Airnsails

Since 22 Jun 2005
104 Posts
Hood River, OR
Stoked

PostTue Nov 15, 05 10:34 am    Snowkite reply Reply with quote

Both days Alex and I were up there we were at tree line just below Palmer Glacier. I think it's ok to ride there right now because the upper chairs arn't operating, but when they are we would definatly hike up further and out of bounds to keep anyone from shutting us down. The first day we were up we flew Octanes and the second day, I was on a fuel 7 and Alex was on an Octane 8. They both have their benefits but I'm a big fan of ATL (All terrain Launch) on the Fuels.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Nov 15, 05 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Great story and pictures - very motivating!! where would you suggest as the best location in the area centred around HR/Portland for first snow kiting outings? ( I don't have a snowmobile or access to one). Thanks.

paul

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Nov 15, 05 11:52 am     Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! I'll be getting up there just as soon as freakin' midterms are done with. And just out of curiousity, what are you using to forecast the wind up there, or do you just hope/pray on the drive up? Wink

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostThu Nov 17, 05 12:59 pm    access.. Reply with quote

"I was just wondering the other day if it was okay to kite at the "resorts""

Obviously, you just have to look into the spots you want to go to, and see what the rules of access are. But hey, you never know. I come from Alberta, and a lot of people don't know that the resort "Sunshine" in Banff, is located within the Banff park boundry. As such, die hards sometimes hike up to the ski area (usually accessed by the Gondola). While they can be kicked off for trying to get on a lift, they can't be told to "leave the area', as the resort only has permission to use the area, not to grant or denign access. So it's not always a fair assumption that resorts have complete control over the ski area. Probably a lot different here in the US though.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Nov 17, 05 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

lizard

not necc. different here in the states. it certainly varies by the resort, but some operate exactly as you describe.

in fact, some places deliberately sell reasonable one-off tickets valid only in the morning to entice backcountry people from going "up the wrong way" on their trails.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Nov 17, 05 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

Hmm, that's interesting, but I still don't wanna get in a huge arguement with the T-Line or Meadows people over some snowkiting. I just want Cascade at Meadows to be closed so I can mess around on the upper cliff faces without having to worry about hitting anyone! Since I've never done it before I can't imagine 25-30kts on a 7m in the snow like Alex was talking about... Shit, I'm pretty lit in that wind on my Fuel 7 in the water! Surprised

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Nov 24, 05 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

Not sure how accurate it really is, but it's the best thing I've found thus far for current conditions at T-line and Meadows...

http://www.nwac.us/mtnweather_or.htm

icemonkey

Since 14 Jun 2005
32 Posts
Helena, Montana

PostSat Nov 26, 05 12:24 pm    Snowkite Roundup Dec 10,11 Reply with quote

Come kite with the Montana crew at Georgetown Lake Lodge near Anaconda, MT! Stay at the Lodge, 30 yards from your launching area, demo new Slingshot and Ozone Kites, Enjoy live music and kite your ass off! Free kite lessons from PASA instructors!Drop me a line at montanakitesports@yahoo.com for more info!

Keith Kallio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: