Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

news from warm, windy florida keys!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cjbpdx

Since 15 Mar 2005
13 Posts

PostMon Nov 07, 05 6:41 am    news from warm, windy florida keys! Reply with quote

blancoh2o & i just wanted to say hi to everyone and express our hope that you all are not too cold & wet from all the rain portland has received lately...

we skipped town about a week ago and were thinking you might enjoy some pics of warm weather, windy days, and blue waters. these are pics of kiting on islamorada in the florida keys.

(ps...and yes, that is steve riding a best kite.)

steve heading upwind off whale harbor at islamorada
 steve heading upwind off whale harbor at islamorada  steve kiting.JPG 
the launch at whale harbor from the seven sports kite shop (Wilma took the sandy beach away!)
 the launch at whale harbor from the seven sports kite shop (Wilma took the sandy beach away!)  seven sports launch.JPG 
chris coming off the flats to the launch area
 chris coming off the flats to the launch area  chris kiting.JPG 

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Nov 07, 05 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

Looks pretty nice, and a lot better than here in Oregon! What's the water/air temp, and wind like?

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostMon Nov 07, 05 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

Wind was NE 14-20 MPH Air Temp= 79-83F and Water=about 75F
Most of the time I was riding my 13M Fuel or Chris's 13M Yarga and or my 17.5M Machine. I was switching off between my 130 SX and Chris's Brand new 2006 137 SX.

Most of the sand was washed away from the beach with Hurricane Wilma, so self launching was nearly impossible. When we were the only ones at the beach we had to trade off whichever kite we were using. If we were lucky enough to get someone to launch us, we were both on the water as long as there was wind. On Saturday we had 5 hours of solid 13M riding!

If you decide to go to the Keys. Make sure to ask Chris or myself and we will fill you in on where to go, where to stay and who to hook up with to kite with.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 07, 05 6:24 pm     Reply with quote

that sucks the sand got washed away
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Tue Mar 23, 21 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Nov 07, 05 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics! looks like you guys had a great time. The Florida Keys is probably the best flat water in the country to ride.

When I was in Islamorada we had access to a boat. It was pretty sweet, huge downwinders riding at slicks around sandbars, it was great! Makes you forget all about the 10 foot beaches.

If you can get access to one, I'd highly recommend it.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostTue Nov 08, 05 7:08 pm     Reply with quote

I agree Dax, a boat would help....but not required. If you decide to kite at Islamorada, Sevensports and a nice little set up. Brad is the owner/operator. He has a compressor right there and is working on getting some trees moved and bringing in new sand.There are plenty of places to rent boats. I would rent a flats boat from Robbie's Marina. They are lovcated at about mile marker 75 or so. While you are there you have to pay the $3 and feed the Tarpon! There is also Ann's beach down US 1 about 10 miles. If it is windy enough to ride there, It has a sandy beach at low tide.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: