Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: First Solo!
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Sep 21, 07 8:13 am     Reply with quote

A Star seems to be where its at for in the mtns

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-4080.html&highlight=valsteez

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 21, 07 8:21 am     Reply with quote

Awesome Jimbo!! Thumb's Up

Can’t wait until you can start dropping us off at extreme locations...

Heli landing on Glacier.JPG 
   Glacier and helis.JPG 
   Glacier.JPG 

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostFri Sep 21, 07 8:36 am     Reply with quote

Onad Rednaxela wrote:
Awesome Jimbo!! Thumb's Up

Can’t wait until you can start dropping us off at extreme locations...

Hellisnowkiteboarding rocks!!!!

DROCK999

Since 31 May 2007
852 Posts
Left Coast
Opinionated

PostFri Sep 21, 07 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Has nobody else ever heard of the heli-kite? It's pretty much the greatest no-wind kiting option. All you do is attach your lines to a heli and use the heli as your kite. Shocked

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostFri Sep 21, 07 9:31 am     Reply with quote

Relax guys! Let Jim build some hours before you get too excited about renting a "big ship". The best thing you can do to help him out is go for a pleasure ride and split the bill with him for the R22. I am not a FAA rule expert, but I do know that a turbine endorsement will cost big bucks.
Hopefully Jim will score a great pilot job and build those hours on some big corporation's dime.
As far as the 200lbs thing goes, there are a couple of factors besides the R22 ability to fly with the weight. The seat has its own weight rating. Why I do I know this? Because I flew in one once and my friend who was the pilot told me about it. I thought it was funny so I remembered that stupid bit of trivia.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostFri Sep 21, 07 9:34 am     Reply with quote

I can't wait until I can fly a turbine ship. Probably a couple years down the road. Some guys from Canada stopped off at the Hillsboro airport last night in a Skycrane. That thing has a payload fo like 20,000 lbs. It was pretty funny taking off in my little ship with that thing parked next to me, the tail rotors are as big as the mainrotor on the R22.

The school also has an R44 which I am sure I will get some time in, basically a 4 seat version of the R22 which would let me carry more weight. That helicopter is fairly expensive though to rent.

They also have a Schwiezer which you can each be up to 250lbs. Those are only about $50 more an hour I believe, and I will be getting a bunch of time in one of those as well.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostFri Sep 21, 07 9:37 am     Reply with quote

blancoh2o wrote:
As far as the 200lbs thing goes, there are a couple of factors besides the R22 ability to fly with the weight. The seat has its own weight rating. Why I do I know this? Because I flew in one once and my friend who was the pilot told me about it. I thought it was funny so I remembered that stupid bit of trivia.

Yeap, the seat is rated at 250lbs, including the luggage space below it. This is because the seat is designed to collapse in a bad crash so you don't break your back.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostFri Sep 21, 07 9:41 am     Reply with quote

I saw that Sky Crane too. It is an amazing piece of uglyness!

crane_h1.gif 

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 26, 07 8:57 am     Reply with quote

Job for Jimbo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tzga6qAaBA Shocked

or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGu45s1_QPU&mode=related&search=

Okay, one more vid. You guys seen this? It's airing on Versus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Fjsc90364&mode=user&search=

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: