Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiter progression question
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 11, 07 3:37 pm    Kiter progression question Reply with quote

I need some advice!

I have been kiting pretty much since early summer. I’ve taken several lessons, can ride upwind without issues, can ride regular and switch, and am really dying to learn how to jump!

I’ve actually done a lot of research on this topic but I just seem to be doing something totally wrong.
So far, I have tried a couple things. One, using small waves to pop off. This works for air, but when I land it is very hard and it feels like I have lost kite power. Second, when sending the kite, I am getting waaayyy off balance on my front foot landing directly on the nose (needless to say that I have perfected upwind board retrieval)!

What am I doing wrong? Are these common issues when learning? How can I better position myself?

I always thought that all my years of wakeboarding and snowboarding would help out. Am I wrong? Confused

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostTue Sep 11, 07 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

make sure you are redirecting the kite forward when you land the kite should be in front of you and moving forward. And try tucking the board up especially the nose if you are landing on it and make sure you do not streighten out your legs on landing.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Sep 11, 07 4:04 pm     Reply with quote

When you land try pointing the board down wind - it will make your landings much smoother.

If your lines are going slack during the jump that could mean two things:

1) - you are starting the jump with your kite too low. If your kite is too low and then you turn it then you will end up doing a cannon ball type jump.

2) You aren't edging enough up wind. Before you jump you need to be upwind of your kite - if not - then your lines go slack and you lose power.

There are also instructional kiting videos out there - I have "Boost" - it goes over the basics and is a good reference. Good luck man.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Sep 11, 07 4:25 pm     Reply with quote

Boost II video will set you straight - Fat Sands "progression" videos are good:

http://www.fatsand.com/

may take more than a summer to get dialed - going on 5 summers and I still land on my head alot Laughing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Sep 11, 07 4:45 pm     Reply with quote

You are describing two different types of jumps. one if a "pop" that is caused by you driving up wind and then popping off the water and the latter is jumping that is actually using the kite.

There was an excellent post about hor to get good pop awhile back so do a search for pop.

For the "sending" type jump, I think we may need a little more info as what you wrote isn't amking a ton of sense to me. Are you screwing up the landing, the take off or both? Also, what kind of kite are you flying?

I would try two things. One, when your going to jump, get a good amount of speed up. Then look ahead and try to scan for a good section of flatter water which will help you edge. Slowly move your kite to the 11:00 position.

now, bear a LITTLE off the wind to gain a little speed, then pull your kite back hard. At the same time that you pull the kite back hard, drive hard upwind. When your kite gets to about 12:00 you will really begin to feel the pull (if your not in the air already). The thing that will likely help you is to bend our knees and actively release your edge so you start flying.

It sounds like your not making a clean "break" from the water which can cause you to spin. (or land on your front foot).

once your kite is at 12:00, return the bar to neutral. You don't really want your kite flying too much past 1:00. If you let the kite fly all the way back to say 3:00..your going to go "around the horn" loose tension in the lines and fall straight down into the ground.

While your in the air keep your knees bent, and look downwind. When you reach the apex of your jump, crank the kite back down into the wind, point downwind and whoooosh nice soft landing.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostTue Sep 11, 07 4:51 pm    lear to pop, easier than sending the kite Reply with quote

Learn how to pop.

1. Head slightly downwind and wait till you've picked up some good speed.

2. Keep your kite between 50-60 degrees above the water (lower position is more powerful but much more difficult to land)

3. Once you've got this going steady, edge HARD straight upwind (turn radius of < 10 ft) This almost instantly changes the position of the kite in the wind window, putting it deep in the power-zone, lifting you out of the water. (remember you do not move your kite around during any of this, leave it at the 50-60 degree angle and edging upwind will do everything for you). If you have the time to look behind you, your wake will look like a hook where you edged HARD upwind (can't emphasize this enough) and left the water.

4. Once you've been yanked into the air, keep more bar pressure with your forward hand, this will prevent you from sending the kite over your head and wiping out. In addition, it will help the kite stay ahead of you now that you are hanging form it like a pendulum. Your landing will be a bit hot, but smooth if you keep enough pull on the bar with your forward arm (the one in the direction you were traveling before you took off into the sky)

In case you are wondering what "sending the kite" means, its when you are moving at a decent pace, and you pull with your back arm on the bar to send the kite over your head. This will also pick you up nicely, but the landing won't take care of itself. Once you are in the air you need to bring the kite back to its original position. I find this a bit more tricky cause you need to maneuver the kite while you are in the air. Learning to pop was much easier in my opinion.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostTue Sep 11, 07 4:54 pm     Reply with quote

about landing without power it's because you've pendulum-ed directly under your kite. This is why you keep significantly more pressure on your forward hand, to keep the kite ahead of you. If you grip both hands towards the center of the bar, you can basically let go of your backhand. That gives you the right amount of pull on the bottom lines.

LOOP

Since 08 Feb 2007
107 Posts

Ore-Ida

PostTue Sep 11, 07 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

I know this sounds totally kooky to a lot of folks, but being a ways from good water, I spent a ton of time under my kites in the local school field practicing boosts, pretty much underpowered. But because your on your feet you can easily keep good tension on your lines. I just simulated all the previous mentioned steps on my feet. When it came to water, the kite control was natural and left more time to worry about me and board. I just put the kite where it would be if you were riding, start back peddling upwind best you can (or turn and sprint upwind) just as your sending the kite. The trick I found, land or water is to keep as much pull on the kite as you can, with the bar out as far as you can, so as the perfect moment comes, it gives you that much more power to suck up. then just focus on pulling on the forward hand. Not so crucial on land, but easily understood why when you feel your kite back and behind you almost. Good luck.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 11, 07 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

If you biff a jump you probably made one of the following common mistakes:

- Didn't hold your edge all the way into the jump (you'll know if your jump is long and low)
- Over sent the kite, didn't send it towards neutral (you'll know if you pendulum out and then slam the water)
- Not powered enough or going fast enough (if you get no lift)
- Didn't pull hard on the front hand at jump apex so that you land with power (if you land with slack lines and/or splash hard on landing)

So just don't make any of those mistakes and you'll be jumping great Very Happy

purdyd

Since 27 Nov 2006
41 Posts

PostTue Sep 11, 07 8:28 pm    Re: Kiter progression question Reply with quote

jbruxer wrote:

So far, I have tried a couple things. One, using small waves to pop off. This works for air, but when I land it is very hard and it feels like I have lost kite power.

Second, when sending the kite, I am getting waaayyy off balance on my front foot landing directly on the nose

first the kite needs to pass over the top of you and be moving forward to get a soft landing - if it stays behind you land hard - if it gets too far in front - you land hard - if you use a wave as a ramp and keep the kite down low - you land hard

if you are landing nose first and crashing - you are leaning forward too much at launch

- lift up your board in front of you with your legs and point the nose up in the air - staying behind the board as you leave the water - as you near the landing - relax your stomach and the legs will drop

as you get better - you won't have to exagerrate this move

also note - if the winds are light and you send a kite hard - and get some decent height - it is very hard to land soft

good luck!

David

Last edited by purdyd on Tue Sep 11, 07 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 11, 07 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your input and comments! Very Happy
It all makes sense when reading it, but for some reason I just can't translate that into kite flight and rider position. Laughing ...persistence is key though!

On a side note, what should I be doing in regards to sheeting the kite? Do I want to keep it powered up and then let out once I land? If I do end up getting some decent height and sheeting out, will I plumit to the water?

I guess it all depends on how I jump (pop vs. send) and the angle of attack.

If it matters, I ride '07 Waroo's
(I know, I know....many of you are thinking "well there's your problem!") Laughing

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostTue Sep 11, 07 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

if you keep it powered up while trying to edge hard upwind for the pop, you will likely loose you're edge (you get pulled up just enough to loose grip on the water, this took me a while to figure out). you can leave it sheeted out quite a bit but once you've turned upwind, pull in hard and you'll get yanked into the sky. If you feel your going too high to be able to land it, just sheet out, you will sink (not plummet) and you can sheet in again at the end for a soft landing.

A little tip for learning how to jump or do any aerial trick:

the only riding you should do is upwind riding, and the only way you can get back downwind is by doing big jumps (make this a rule for yourself), you'd be amazed by the amount of jumps you can do per tack.

jbruxer wrote:
If it matters, I ride '07 Waroo's
(I know, I know....many of you are thinking "well there's your problem!") Laughing
you learn fast

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Sep 11, 07 10:21 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="pkh"](you'll know if your jump is long and low)
Very Happy[/quote]

When flying a "rev", I get these long low jumps. I haven't figured it out. Is it me or the kite? I can usually hold my edge but the end result feels way different then other C's or bow's. What's up with that? Maybe no bar pressure? I've demo'd the REV 3 times so far --thanks guys!!!-- but to no avail.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed Sep 12, 07 8:20 am     Reply with quote

Kraemer wrote:

When flying a "rev", I get these long low jumps. I haven't figured it out. Is it me or the kite? I can usually hold my edge but the end result feels way different then other C's or bow's. What's up with that? Maybe no bar pressure? I've demo'd the REV 3 times so far --thanks guys!!!-- but to no avail.

I think the REVs jump like a Fuel does, you have to start them low, quick flick up to neutral, but hold your edge, and releasing edge before the kite gets overhead. Pull down on the bar, once your airbourne, and pull forward hand once you have reached your apex.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Sep 12, 07 8:32 am     Reply with quote

Hey Bruxer,
in regards to bar position and sheeting. When its rally gusty..like Rooster on the east, leave yourself a little space to sheet in and slow your rate of descent at the last minute if your coming back down to earth and a luff hits you.

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 12, 07 9:33 am     Reply with quote

Yo Josh, where/when are you riding this weekend? I can show you exactly what you need to do to jump with both sizes of Waroo. Like some peeps already said, for some reason pointing your board downwind on landing is HUGE, I think it makes it easier to put you kite back in front of you then.

nesterg

Since 10 Sep 2006
23 Posts

PostWed Sep 12, 07 2:02 pm     Reply with quote

No advice here just a thank you for asking the question as I'm at that same stage. Seems like my kite is more than willing to lift me up when I'm not paying enough attention to it but when trying to get a lift out of it it won't cooperate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: