Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anarchy Category?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

Do you think we should have a category of the forum without moderation?
Yes
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
No
77%
 77%  [ 46 ]
Wha?
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 59

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Sep 10, 07 9:20 pm    Anarchy Category? Reply with quote

So a few times its come up that maybe we need an alternate category thats not moderated. This could be something similar to the OregonSurf.com forum "Bitch & Moan" section... they move all the localism type threads there. The default category would still be moderated.

What do you think?

Last edited by pkh on Tue Sep 11, 07 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 10, 07 9:41 pm     Reply with quote

I have witnessed something similiar to your proposal on the seattle kite forum.
While entertaining, it escalates into a situation where individuals' behaviour is too much and they ultimately end up getting banned.
In my opinion it's not really worth doing however the audience on this forum seems like they might be for it.
I'd prefer it if you kept the forum in it's current state.
Just send all those yahoos to kiteforum to throwdown. Or just ignore the threads. That seems to work as well.

stringy

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 11, 07 8:07 am     Reply with quote

Originally I voted No, but on second thought it might be fun to have an Anarchy forum with Hein as the moderator??? Wink

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Sep 11, 07 8:23 am     Reply with quote

YES! As long as they don't post here too...

DaveB

Since 05 Aug 2007
14 Posts

PostTue Sep 11, 07 8:38 am     Reply with quote

From what I've seen these "battle cages" really sour forums, and the trash eventually moves over into the "real" forums. It takes a big time commitment to moderate the spill over too. my 2c

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Sep 11, 07 8:55 am     Reply with quote

When you say no moderation - do you mean absolute anarchy? Anything goes? Racial, ethnic, religous slurs? Threats of bodily harm? Just curious what this would look like?

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Sep 11, 07 9:00 am     Reply with quote

Any thoughts about a gear review section?

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostTue Sep 11, 07 9:05 am     Reply with quote

voted 'no' - would rather skip a 'bitch and moan' area but maybe ADD a 'gear talk' or 'reviews' section with a big disclaimer at the top asking people to qualify themselves first if they want to post, such as:

working for or affiliated with a kite company?:
years riding:
previous brands owned:
areas you ride most often:
etc.

If this could be respectful and controlled in some way it should bring in a lot of new traffic but guessing this will also add to your moderating time quite a bit.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 11, 07 9:28 am     Reply with quote

Why not just use KiteForum for gear reviews? International forum with tons of dweebs on it. Thumb's Up

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Sep 11, 07 9:33 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Why not just use KiteForum for gear reviews? International forum with tons of dweebs on it. Thumb's Up

Yes - kiteforum has a lot of gear comparisons - however, hearing local guys talk about their gear in the conditions that I ride - by guys that I know and see how they ride - can be a lot more meaningful than just some dude who I have no idea how he rides or where he rides. Just my two cents.

Thoughts on the anarchy forum - I feel that there could be some benefit to having people review gear and compare - but there should be some limits. Threats of bodily harm and ad hominem attacks should be off limits - otherwise, it should be open I guess.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Sep 11, 07 9:35 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:

I agree!
Kiteforum seems to always start out with good intent on brand reviews that quickly degenerate to name calling and bad vibes.

Euros.... Rolling Eyes

www.naishkites.com

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue Sep 11, 07 9:46 am     Reply with quote

no need to piss on fire hydrants

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostTue Sep 11, 07 10:20 am     Reply with quote

People have already posted reviews of kites they've demoed this past month. A review section would make the reviews more structured and probably less likely to turn into a flame war, which didn't seem to happen during the last few reviews.

We could have the rider qualify themselves as Colby mentioned and then have different criteria for the kite and a score from 1-10 in each category. Then have a space for the rider to write their impressions down.
The comments could potentially only target the kite under review to keep things in line.

I agree with Terremoto that local reviews from people that ride the same conditions are worth way more than some random brand pimp from Europe. Also, quite a few people on the forum know each other, which helps as well.

A review section could be helpful for people to at least narrow down the kites they really want to demo for their style of riding.

Of course if it's too much of a hassle to set up that's totally cool. Just throwing my 2 cents in.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostTue Sep 11, 07 10:46 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:

I just thought it might be nice to have gear reviews by local people in local conditions. I don't personally know anyone on kiteforum nor could I talk with them on the beach about this kite or that kite. If I wanted to know what a kite flys like in florida..or germany for that matter then I would go to kite forum.

Its nice to have a forum that has lots of entertaining posts and pictures and stories, but wouldn't it also be nice to have some "meat" somewhere? Does this site get that much traffic that a gear review section would get totally filled with spam and pissing matches?

Maybe a separate section where we can post links to good reviews? Things just get bumped off the first page of this forum and tend to get lost.

Last edited by pdxmonkeyboy on Tue Sep 11, 07 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 11, 07 10:49 am     Reply with quote

I keep saying nothing wrong with kite/gear reviwes, and like you said a few have been posted recently. The main rules I apply is:

- Don't start the thread "this kite brand vs. that kite brand"
- Don't make comparison reviews that will start a gear war between two sides
- Come clean with any biases you have
- Come clean with your level of experience
- Don't hijack another brand thread with your own views on your brand

These all seem to be the areas where KiteForum goes wrong.

But really, who gives a shit about reviews when you all happen to live in one of the hot-spots for kiting and thus have access to industry reps from virtually every brand and thus the opportunity to actually try the gear out yourself!!! (See here for rep info: http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-6246.html)

I know experienced kiters who after trying the same kites come to completely different conclusions about them. So how are you going to figure out what riders preferences match your own? Why not just go try the gear yourself and draw your own conclusions. When you want to buy a car do you just ask people about it or do you drive it?

I feel very much like a broken record on this subject, though I don't really mind re-iterating my opinion, and I encourage challenge to it. Perhaps a separate poll for a gear review section without the restrictions above?

Or just click here: http://www.kiteforum.com Thumb's Up

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 11, 07 10:58 am     Reply with quote

genek wrote:
People have already posted reviews of kites they've demoed this past month. A review section would make the reviews more structured and probably less likely to turn into a flame war, which didn't seem to happen during the last few reviews.

We could have the rider qualify themselves as Colby mentioned and then have different criteria for the kite and a score from 1-10 in each category. Then have a space for the rider to write their impressions down.
The comments could potentially only target the kite under review to keep things in line.

I agree with Terremoto that local reviews from people that ride the same conditions are worth way more than some random brand pimp from Europe. Also, quite a few people on the forum know each other, which helps as well.

A review section could be helpful for people to at least narrow down the kites they really want to demo for their style of riding.

Of course if it's too much of a hassle to set up that's totally cool. Just throwing my 2 cents in.

Regarding kite reviews, if you base your review on actual factual experience than it shouldn't escalate to a flame war. I see the flames when someone who is loyal to another brand gets offended by something that is said. Scaling would be another way of disrupting the review based on how do you compare the scaling and to what?
Regarding local review input on kites, I figured that's what you do on the beach when the wind is too light to kite and you are all standing around.
I'll agree to a previous post about demoing all at once, like a demo day with all brands available. this provides the best comparison back to back in the same exact conditions. Sounds like a good event that would require some coordination. Limit riders to a specific time period and then pass to next rider. Even if there was a event fee, it would still be worth it for someone who is considering between multiple brands.
On another note, I do hope when others consider purchasing a new product, such as kiting equipment, consider how it helps the local economy, whether it is from a local store or a local company.

phil you run a good ship on nwkite so whatever you decide to do will probably be fine with me.

stringy

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostTue Sep 11, 07 11:01 am     Reply with quote

Didn't mean to make you feel like a broken record, I just thought since the topic of other forum sub groups came up it might be cool to have. Dido what Stringy said.

I think a Demo day would be awesome!! It would be even more awesome if it was somewhere besides the event site... Lyle perhaps? Or at the risk of SS getting nervous.. Stevenson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: