Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

possibly cool, possibly a nightmare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Sep 10, 07 11:57 am    possibly cool, possibly a nightmare Reply with quote

So seeing as there are 40 million different kites out there and there are forum members that have ridden most of them, would it be possible to establish a list of criteria to review them and let people go at it.

my interest is to not start a huge trash session but to get some genuine feedback on the new kites. I'm seeking a new quiver but there is just soo much hype and the magazines offer little help, I want some on the ground info to help me decide which kites I should demo.

My thoughts on criteria would be (maybe use a 10 scale):

Bar pressure
turning speed
simplicity of the bar
smoothness
speed of relaunch
apparent durability
likely best used for:
big pluses
big minuses

It seems the key to review is just give your honest opinion and don't quote or reference your opinion to anyone elses. I would think that if you stuck to a numerics system and limited the text, there would be less flame wars.

Would this be possible?

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 10, 07 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Would this be possible?

I doubt it....

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Sep 10, 07 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

I'd like to set-up a demo day at the Event Site next spring. We'll try to get as many of the brands to participate as possible, and you'll get the opportunity to try kites back to back in the same wind. In my opinion, this is the only way to get a truly accurate comparison between different kites.

Plus it would be an awesome excuse to get the Event Site again!!!

Until then, I recommend everyone interested in trying the kites out hook-up with one of the following reps for kite demos:

(in alpha order by brand, nwkite alias / brand)

newwindkiteschool / Best
Luke / Cabrinha
Tekko / Liquid Force
Mark / Naish
Yardsale / North
Shymac / Slingshot

Just PM them and I am sure they will help you out.

Cheers!

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostMon Sep 10, 07 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

PDXmonkey...

I would love it if you wanted to ride the new 2008 Liquid Force HaVoc and post a review... this goes for everyone else as well

I will go out of my way to meet up or otherwise make the kites available for you or anyone else to try out. Even given a set of parameters, each person will interperate differently... and therefore have different oppinions.

This is good, because there is variety in the market, so everyone should be able to find the kites that feel good to them. There a lot of good kites coming out right now and they all feel, look, behave a bit differently... best way to find what you like is to try them out...

You can PM me through here or text my cell 503-866-2629 or send me an email gregg@nwliquid .com and I'll do my best to meet up or have on of the other LF riders meet up with you to get you out on the new kites.

I think Phil is right on about an industry wide spring demo... maybe we coordinate with sandbar cleanup and have it out on the edge of the spit with drive up access...

Liquid Force HaVoc 2008
 Liquid Force HaVoc 2008  havoc-2008.jpg 

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostMon Sep 10, 07 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

Also been thinking on this lately, as the kite companies seem more open to allowing demos over the last year, when before it was all a big insurance risk and just the select few could take a kite out for a spin. Not sure what has changed, maybe the realization that people won't lay out a few thousand dollars for a new quiver of kites without trying the equipment first?

Was it $600 to rent the event site? The brands might spring for the cost, but probably better if we all chipped in a little and organized it as a kite community to push for more safety, truth, & openness in the industry and less brand bashing and marketing hype....a 'let the products speak for themselves' type of motto for the event?

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostMon Sep 10, 07 4:33 pm     Reply with quote

PKH should just make a kite review / arguing section and everyone can bitch there! Very Happy

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 10, 07 4:48 pm     Reply with quote

Ditto what Tekko said. I would love guys to ride the new Rebel and compare to LF, Slingshot etc. Always available to talk or make an effort to meet up and demo. Cell 503-886-9866.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Sep 10, 07 4:49 pm     Reply with quote

Ditto ditto Laughing
For anyone who hasn't ridden the Helix, Give me a Pm. Lets kite!

www.naishkites.com

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostMon Sep 10, 07 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

has anybody ever tried the spike kite? Its the greatest kite ever, boosts continuously, never stops boosting, boosts all the time. pops great, no need to inflate, self inflates, packs itself up too. has built in wind sensors to find the perfect wind for you. give you telepathic feedback on optimal kite position so you can land anything. I'm telling ya, the spike kite kicks ass.

stringer

Since 31 Jul 2007
694 Posts
Chucktown
Flying Tomato

PostMon Sep 10, 07 5:44 pm     Reply with quote

yeah, the spike kite is awesome.
peter pan let me try his last time i was in neverland.

the only problem is i dont think i can carry it out to the beach while im riding my unicorn.

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostMon Sep 10, 07 9:54 pm     Reply with quote

Stop by SLINGSHOT any time for fast and easy demos 9-5 Monday-Friday!

REVS<T2s>FUELS

Its that easy!!!

Shocked

Shane.jpg 
   The kicker.JPG 

G-dog

Since 04 Jan 2007
61 Posts
Portland

PostTue Sep 11, 07 6:27 am     Reply with quote

Other forums I've been in to have a product review category. Mostly it's people talking about their own experiences with products or people asking about certain products, but there's always a couple obvious salesmen. But it was really nice to be able to click on "boards" and get a ton of personal reviews on all different kinds of boards, male and female...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 11, 07 6:36 am     Reply with quote

Posting reviews is great and all, just try to avoid the "this vs. that" type threads... or hijacking other brand threads.

I'm perfectly happy losing all of the traffic that would be generated by those types of topics. To me quality of conversation is much better than quantity. Disagreement is fine, its just the more nwkite.com sounds like talk on the beach, the better IMO.

Here's a good place to post your views on this (and vote):

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-6258.html

Respect to ya'all! Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: