Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Should I be pissed?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostSat Sep 08, 07 12:04 pm    Should I be pissed? Reply with quote

Should I be pissed?

Riding into the spit to say high to GF, my kite gets within a kites length of a guy going out, he yells watch your kite, I look up move it back, then look at him, he yells, stop kissing your gf. I look up and am hit in the face with a front line. I am surrounded in his lines, they lay across mine, he yells, move, then the kite lurches up, and one line now has my gf in its grasp.

I grab the kite move it off us, yell at him to get his f-n kite off me, and he yells back, you hit me first. I push his kite off us, drag myself toward him and tell him to unhook before he hurts someone. He walks away I toss his board he grabs it and sails off.

As, I sit dumbfounded I realize I should have sliced his lines.

Anyone ever experienced something so blatantly dangerous and rude?

Guy is 5'8", maybe 165lb, mid 30s, little soul patch, Oakley sunglasses and flew an orange and pink Waroo.

I am still in shock.

Rob

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostSat Sep 08, 07 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

F$%$K YES!!

Did the guy actually do that on purpose? I mean think what you want of people who kiss their GF, or whatever (it is irrelevant), but hitting someone with their kite could actually be endangering someone on purpose..and super stupid. There's simply nothing else to say..only after we passed that point it is useful to look at the rest of the situation (imo).

a.

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostSat Sep 08, 07 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

Dude, that sucks that you and your girlfriend were put into such a dangerous situation, but...

In the majority of spots around the world, rider launching and leaving the beach has right away. He's on land, and therefore in a more dangerous situation.

So, and don't take this as me saying it was completely your fault that the guy crashed his kite into you, but, since you knew he was launching and you were in no immediate state of distress, you could have taken an extra tack and waited for him to get out of the way. This is especially useful at the sandbar, where you don't know if it's a pro or some guy who just scored a sick deal on ebay hitting the water for the first time.

mack

Since 08 Aug 2006
29 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostSat Sep 08, 07 12:32 pm    yikes Reply with quote

orange and pink WAROO and a soul patch should be enough of a warning to stay clear...i dont trust those kites

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostSat Sep 08, 07 6:03 pm    Right of way Reply with quote

Actually he was already in the water, and I had the wind on my starboard, so, I have the right of way. I am stand on, and I was standing still.

Not sure if he meant to actually drop it on us, I think he was trying to be a dick and tell me what to do with my kite and was watching us, and forgot to check his own kite.

If I could have seen the soul patch I would have taken another pass before coming in!!

jcohenx

Since 28 Aug 2007
248 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSat Sep 08, 07 7:20 pm    should I be pissed? Reply with quote

When possible snap photos. There should be a hall of shame. Accidents happen but this crosses over into belligerent kiting.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSat Sep 08, 07 11:39 pm    Re: Should I be pissed? Reply with quote

robkov wrote:
Should I be pissed?

Riding into the spit to say high to GF, my kite gets within a kites length of a guy going out, he yells watch your kite, I look up move it back, then look at him, he yells, stop kissing your gf.

Sure he didn't say stop kissing my girlfriend! Laughing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 09, 07 2:33 am     Reply with quote

Just because someone has waroos doesn't mean they're a kook or a jackass. This is an attitude that I've seen more than once on here and frankly it bothers me that such a tightknit(and financially well endowed) group should have such an opinion. Maybe some of us don't feel like throwing down 1500+ for a kite. I have MANY other interests besides kiting and if I can get decent gear for less than the competitors want for their stuff *GASP* I'm going to do it.

Got market share?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostSun Sep 09, 07 5:34 am     Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry to much about the Best bashing that goes on, it's always more tongue in cheek than anything. It's more pointed at the company than the person flying the Waroo. We all like to joke about Best, but no one really means it to much these days. Once a stereotype is formed, it's awfully hard to break.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Sep 09, 07 7:15 am     Reply with quote

yeah, best-bashing is fun, dont take it too seriously.

but slingshot riders are all gay, everyone knows that.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSun Sep 09, 07 7:38 am     Reply with quote

I don't even really notice the BEST bashing. For me, money does play a part in the kites I purchase, but it is not the main factor at all. I flew the Waroos for the last year and a half not because they were inexpensive, but because I thought it wsa the best kite I could find for the riding I did. I tried several other brand of kites, all of which were more expensive, before I went to the Waroo.

One thing you will notice though is that most of th etime people who are bashing other kites are insecure about what they are riding, or have a hidden agenda. The people that have good products want you to ride their gear and compare with other kites before buying. They don't spend time bashing other kites, but talking about the good qualities of there own gear.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSun Sep 09, 07 8:15 am     Reply with quote

I would guess that anything PINK gets ya into the
GAY-BAR
(sand-bar)

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 09, 07 8:20 am     Reply with quote

orange and pink waroo.... did the guy have a shaved head? if it's who I'm thinking about, he has been bitched about on here by me and one other guy too for doing similar things.

pura vida one

Since 22 May 2007
80 Posts

PostSun Sep 09, 07 5:48 pm    momentary loss of consiousness Reply with quote

sounds like a dick, but maybe he was concentrating on his yelling, not his kite, when it dropped. that would be irresponsible or worse considering the circumstances, but still an accident. however, if it had been an accident seems like he woulda changed his tune and started apologizing - that's serious shit. bummer.
you know, people aren't out there to enjoy themselves. it's really about being cool, so what were you thinking kissing your gf...? get your oakleys next time and leave the gf on the beach. we have enough waroo riders at florence, i feel you.
seriously though, that sucks. sorry about that one. i'd catch him on the beach and ask him what's up. keep a posse on the lookout for him and send him on his way if he doesn't come clean and apologize.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostSun Sep 09, 07 6:02 pm     Reply with quote

Frankly I'm pissed that I wasted time on the first two words of your post. Thankfully, I just checked out msn.com. Confused

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostSun Sep 09, 07 7:05 pm    Best Reply with quote

There was no Best bashing, I ride Bularoos. I mentioned the kite so you could know who this ass is.

And why was this posting a waste of your time Barfly?

I am just trying to get the word out on this guy, to watch out for him. But I can see others have posted about him already.

Rob

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostSun Sep 09, 07 7:08 pm    Shaved head Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
orange and pink waroo.... did the guy have a shaved head? if it's who I'm thinking about, he has been bitched about on here by me and one other guy too for doing similar things.

Yea, he had a shaved head. I am thinking I should just stay in Lyle, never had a problem with people out there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: