Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Everybody was a NeWb at one time, I have a question for begs
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostThu Sep 06, 07 6:05 am    Everybody was a NeWb at one time, I have a question for begs Reply with quote

I'm wondering what the newbs are thinking when they come to use the Spit in Hood River.

When you come to use the Spit do you know how and where to launch your kite?

How do you select the right size kite? This is tough for anybody!!!

Do you find that people are willing to help or less than helpful?

Do you understand the basic right of way or are you totally @#$%ing confused?

What is your biggest concern when you launch?

How much would you pay to get coaching?

How many lessons did you take to get to the point you are now?

What would you say is your level right now?

Do you know how to use all of your safety systems?

Are you comfortable self rescuing?

Do you require jet ski support?

What would help you to be safer when you come to the spit to launch?

If you are scared that you will get slammed Pm me or email me at repooc99@yahoo.com

I was a Newb at one time and I was lucky because the guys at Siletz Bay in Lincoln helped me tons. Not to mention the fact that winds were light. The Gorge can be a very dangerous place and I'm interested in seeing what the perception is of guys/gals who are just starting to fly. What do you need to enjoy this kick ass sport?

Looking forward to hearing from ya!!

**If you are ever at The Spit and you have a question make sure you ask somebody, anybody becuase the reality is that this sport is great, but if you make a mistake in lines, launch, or kite size it's not going to be pretty.
Ask questions, ask questions, ask somebody to check out your kite, lines whatever. Just ask!

99% of the people at the spit will help you, if they don't then they have issues.

Please let me know your experiences and perceptions both good and bad

Thanks, Very Happy

Last edited by bulae99 on Sat Sep 08, 07 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 06, 07 6:35 am     Reply with quote

dang bulae... you keep posting like this and I might start to like ya! Very Happy

climberusa

Since 14 May 2007
47 Posts
Spokane, WA

PostThu Sep 06, 07 8:02 am     Reply with quote

I just started kiting at the spit this year and as a noob. I can tell you from my experience that the Spit is one hell of an intimidating place for beginners. I had taken two 8 hour lessons prior to going to the gorge (taught in mexico) and when I showed up there the first time I bailed and went to Roosevelt instead. the next time I went there and took another lesson just to feel more comfortable there ad with my safety skills. After that I knew where I should be and to watch out for the billion kiters there. I quickly learned that just about anyone there is willing to launch/catch your kite if you just ask and I've always asked anytime I wasn't sure of something. It may be different for other people but I know that it only takes one second to ruin your day/week/month/year/life. This sport is amazing but I'm a wuss and don't feel like getting drug across the sandbar so I try to be as careful as possible. I'm comfortable self-rescuing and know all of my safety releases. I've never needed jet-ski support even though I'm usually slowly making my way downwind with my kite in the water. Although I have had a few instances where I lost my board and another kiter brought it in for me.

If I was starting over and new what I know now I'm not sure i would change much except not buy 2 c-kites. I think they're great but they sure do kick your ass when you're just starting out.

nesterg

Since 10 Sep 2006
23 Posts

PostThu Sep 06, 07 11:24 am     Reply with quote

I'm pretty new to the sport. I took a two day lesson last year at Hood River but have not returned until last weekend. I found that people were real friendly and helpful. Most of the people I talked to and helped catch kites for were also pretty new. My impression is,and maybe I'm wrong, that the real good guys are less tolerant and less friendly. I can understand why they might be like this. When you are there all the time you get tired of the constant influx of begginers asking the same stupid questions and making the same stupid mistakes. I'm sure you can spot an inexperienced kiter just by how they carry their gear on the sand bar and you steer clear of them.
To answer some of your other questions. I think last weekend at hood I might have transitioned from beginner to intermediate.
Would I pay to get coaching? You know I would pay $ 15 for a 30 min familiarization session. (you know, this is the best place to launch, watch out for the currents over there, there is a wind shadow over here, remember when you're going to washington to give way to opposite direction traffic) that sort of thing. It wouldn't take much to relieve some of the uncertainty that you feel as a relative newbie in an unfamiliar location. This session could include launching once you are set up.

Is anyone comfortable self rescuing. Well I quess that tells you I'm not but I think I could do it. From what I read everyone tells you something different.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostThu Sep 06, 07 11:47 am     Reply with quote

nesterg wrote:
Is anyone comfortable self rescuing. Well I quess that tells you I'm not but I think I could do it. From what I read everyone tells you something different.

I am comfortable self rescuing, so is my wife. This really should be a skill you practice every time out until you are comfortable. It really doesn't take that much to get it down, and it can save you a lot of money in gear and potentially getting really hurt or killed.

Several of us sat on the spit last weekend watching someone try to swim in to shoe with their kite laying on its back. They swam directly against the pull of the kite and basically sat in one place for about 30 min. IF they could have self recued, they would have been in to shore in less than 5, as it was they were in the same position they started in with 30 min of wasted effort.

One other thing, whenever you try a new kite make sure you are absolutely certian how the safety system workse. Many kites are different, some have a pull release, some a push release, all of them have different chicken loop releases. It is very easy to get into a bad situation on demo/new gear and make it even worse by not instively knowing how to release the safety.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 06, 07 3:12 pm     Reply with quote

The first time I went to the spit I took a lesson even though I had already taken 2 prior. The times after that I tried really hard not to be an idiot, but there were just times when I got out of control. I almost nailed someone who was coming at me when I tried to jibe (ended up doing a small jump) the other direction and they yelled at me. I felt like an idiot but I made a mistake, didn't anticipate it in time. I learned and it never happen again.

Just gotta do your time and if someone calls you out on something, it's usually for a good reason and not because they hate you.

If you feel they were in error, feel free to come on here and present your case for judgment by the Kook Jury!

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 06, 07 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

I learned in the gore in 2000 with Shay on my ozone frenzies. There were maybe 20 kiters on a busy day and it was still intimidating. After a month of riding there every day I was still scared and nervous to ask for help. It all changed when bam bam of all people walked up with a smile and gladly gave me advise and launched me. I've ridden there since and am still a little intimidated when I go. I firmly believe that the actions of bam bam made all the difference. A smile a helping hand which only takes a few minutes of your time go a long way for a beginner.

pura vida one

Since 22 May 2007
80 Posts

PostThu Sep 06, 07 9:21 pm    may Reply with quote

i started in may in hr w/ lessons. spendy and a must-do if you don't have a buddy to teach you, but i think they were lacking. i paid the going rate and wouldn't have paid more. i took 4 lessons and have had much guidance from SolFlyer, an irie brother who makes kiting better for everyone - thanks, bro
self-rescue was a neglected skill that i wanted to learn from my instructor: maybe he was putting it off until the 'next lesson' for $. took a lesson with will at floras and got a much better orientation to safety - my primary purpose. i know my safety systems well, but they aren't second nature
i know the right of way more fer sher - in the waves too.
i've gotten 20 days of riding and feel like the learning curve has been really fast, but i wouldn't put a level on myself besides 'novice'.
as much as the flatter chop of hr is appealing vs. dealing w/ sets in the ocean and all the other challenges that go along w/ ocean riding, i'll take my chances out there for a while before i go to the spit again. the danger posed by other kiters is just more than i want to deal w/. that's saying a lot condsidering how much respect and intimidation i feel towards the ocean. i got pounded today and drug underwater in a pretty scary way after being swallowed by a wave when my kite went down. then i had to swim with the kite getting tossed in the waves... not a good scene
people in hr were nice in may, ready to talk and drink a cold one, etc. but it looked like a kind of freak show too: it was like there was guaranteed to be someone who was out of the loop, endangering themselves and others, causing conflict. people kind of eyed the ones they didn't know and i can understand why.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 07, 07 7:59 am     Reply with quote

i always thought the spit was the most frenetic place i had ever kited.

and then i went to cabarete.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSat Sep 08, 07 4:30 am    Got an Idea! HOw about we have an orientation session? Reply with quote

I'm not a member of CGKA, but respect what they do for sure. The clean up was incredible and I benefited for sure.

Would it be possible for somebody in the CGKA to sponsor a couple of not for profit orientation lectures to orient all levels to the Spit?

We could talk about stuff that is not smart to do(knowing damn well we have done it)

This sport is only going to grow and if we take some time to create a safe friendly non profit orientation session for interested folks we may just improve safety on those crazy summer weekends.

Thanks NWkite.com freaks,
Very Happy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Sep 08, 07 7:16 am     Reply with quote

Problem is so many people visiting the spit from other areas, or fare weather kiters who only get out 2-3 times a year. Those aren't the types who would attend an kind of talk on self rescues.

Just understanding the concept of the self rescue is probably the most important thing. Its just silly when you see someone wasting there time trying to swim in with all their gear, when they could use the kite and be in so much quicker.

One suggestion I always tell people when we talk about self rescues is to not roll up your lines. I know some people do but for me it usually creates a bigger mess and puts you in more risk of getting wrapped by your lines. Just unhook/unleash yourself from the bar and walk your way up one line to the kite and start rescuing.

When you get back to shore pull the bar around the back of the kite and everything should still be fairly straight. No spaghetti!

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostSat Sep 08, 07 8:53 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
No spaghetti!

but I like spaghetti

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Sep 10, 07 5:21 am    I can shoot spaghetti from my fingertips!!! Reply with quote

Anybody heard Dane Cooks DVD? Funny !@# S!@# Very Happy

OK here is another question.. Who would be willing to put on a free self rescue seminar? We could have a contest for newbs and anybody who wants to learn how to SELF RECuE.

Non Profit No STep on Toes CGKA sanctioned Kite rescue practice. I remember when Storm Warning use to have free lessons??

Who would be in on this?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 10, 07 6:09 am     Reply with quote

I'd be willing to help out.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 10, 07 6:28 am    Re: I can shoot spaghetti from my fingertips!!! Reply with quote

bulae99 wrote:
Who would be willing to put on a free self rescue seminar? We could have a contest for newbs and anybody who wants to learn how to SELF RECuE.

Non Profit No STep on Toes CGKA sanctioned Kite rescue practice. I remember when Storm Warning use to have free lessons??

I suggest you help support your local kiting association. In this case CGKA. This is your representation for ensuring your beach and kiting access stays preserved in the Gorge. I am sure that enough individuals warrant a instructional seminar, they would be happy to help out. If that doesn't work out, possibly a local shop or school would want to contribute time.

stringy

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostMon Sep 10, 07 7:54 am     Reply with quote

I actually brought this up as an idea at the last CGKA meeting because earlier this summer it seemed the number of people getting stuck out in teh channel and not knowing what to do was increasing. However there wasn't a whole lot of enthusiasm to make it happen primarily because, as it was discussed, the majority of people we thought would be in need of self rescue instruction are vacationers and other out of towners that are only here for a few days to a week and we were concerned that there would be no way for them to figure out we were having a self rescue clinic and the attendance would be down.

and now that it is the end of the season, there are probably fewer people in need of self rescue instruction because they've had all summer to figure it out and/or the people may be leaving town. could be a project to make happen next year.

-adam

jcohenx

Since 28 Aug 2007
248 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Sep 10, 07 8:20 am    self-rescue seminar Reply with quote

Set it up a seminar with sufficient notice and I will attend. I would make a donation to keep this type of thing going. Another useful topic for the same seminar would be basic sailing rules and how they apply to KB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: