Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

help a bruthr out!!!!
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Aug 22, 07 9:22 pm    help a bruthr out!!!! Reply with quote

so as to not start a piss'n match about which is better how about you all chime in with what boards (brand,model, year and size you ride for what style of riding and how much you weigh......or just give me what ever low down you feel like in regard to a board that a 210lb fng aspiring to keep the same board into intermediate freestyle riding in da gorge on a 9m....experienced wake/snowboarder if that makes a difference....maybe throw in what you would ride if you could have any board on the market and why....
Last edited by STORMRIDER on Thu Aug 23, 07 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 22, 07 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

man, buy something cheap if you are just starting out, 'cause ya may lose it and could trash it.

i started out with consignment boards and when they went downriver or out across the sound or to the end of the lake in the gorge or hatteras or nititnat and floras i cried but only a few tears. damn things always seemed to come back to me, though. i still have a 142 doyle i have lost at least 4 times.

if ya lose a board that you paid retail for you will cry buckets. . .

and most any board will do when youre first getting rides.

imho

jimmi

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Aug 22, 07 10:26 pm     Reply with quote

a 142 doyle...... how much do you weigh ?

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu Aug 23, 07 7:25 am     Reply with quote

I am about 215 lbs I ride a oceanrodeo mako 150 surf when it is windy it eats up chop and heads up wind like no other. I just got a 07 146 slingshot misfitt (from second wind) I am useing it for lighter wind and to work on wakestyle jumping It has much more pop but is not a forgiving in the chop as the mako.

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 23, 07 7:57 am     Reply with quote

tstansbury wrote:
I am about 215 lbs I ride a oceanrodeo mako 150 surf when it is windy it eats up chop and heads up wind like no other. I just got a 07 146 slingshot misfitt (from second wind) I am useing it for lighter wind and to work on wakestyle jumping It has much more pop but is not a forgiving in the chop as the mako.

maybe i need a bigger board than i think...keep it coming

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu Aug 23, 07 8:06 am     Reply with quote

Board width is as important as length the misfitt is wider than the mako that is why it is better in light wind. If you are only going to ride a 9 then a bigger board is going to be needed. normally for high wind I would ride about a 136 but the mako is a unique design.

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 23, 07 10:02 am     Reply with quote

[quote="STORMRIDER"][quote="tstansbury"]I am about 215 lbs I ride a oceanrodeo mako 150 surf when it is windy it eats up chop and heads up wind like no other. quote]

ocean rodeo mako - are you kidding??? maybe you want to throw one of those inflatable dildos on there so your board floats right-side-up when you fall off it, too.

so whats our best trick, tstansbury?

--------------------------------------------------

length is not the only factor to consider. width and rocker are without doubt more important.

check LiquidForceKites.com and see Recoil 136, Mission 144, Element 140. All are good, Recoil is the fastest feeling, Mission and Element both have a unique blend of channeling and rocker that give great pop off the water and dispersion to soften the landings, but therefore require more kite power to get up and go.

Misfits are a good call as well, but run longer and narrower in the big sizes, which isn't usually an advantage for trying tricks.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu Aug 23, 07 10:13 am     Reply with quote

have you rode a mako? I said right off it is not for tricks not everyone is into tricks. This post is from a 210 lbs beginer I listed the 2 out of 6 boards I have that I think would suit a 210 lbs beginer.

mxwllms

Since 26 Jul 2006
110 Posts
Boring, Or
Stoked

PostThu Aug 23, 07 10:14 am    why? Reply with quote

does anyone else notice that everything somehow ends up as dissing others on this website?!!?!?!! people are trying to help others out and they just get shit thrown at them for their effort. is it THAT hard to be nice to people who simply try to help??? Evil or Very Mad

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 23, 07 10:41 am     Reply with quote

i just bought a Slingshot fuse. It's a 149, and is now my favorite board. It's a directional, but you can ride it like a twin tip. It's good and flexy, giving you great pop, and also sweet surfy turns.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Aug 23, 07 10:57 am     Reply with quote

Hey Kite...

The dissers are the ones that are actually pretty insecure with both their riding and gear. Shows up pretty readily in their posts.

Most of the NW'ers are a pretty darn casual group, and the reality is that every brand is making some pretty good stuff. Of course people want to share what they ride and why they feel it works well for themselves. Most peeps here will take any opportunity to share that information, but for the most part everyone has an open mind on gear. If it works, it works.

Personally... riding Naish 08 Cults and a 134cm 07 Thorn with a 5'10" directional for wavy days. I look for a good all around kite that works equally well hooked and unhooked. In reagards to twin tip boards...yeah, width is much more important that length, and I look for something right around 40cm. Hope this helps...

Other brands I respect... Cabrina, North, Slingshot, Takoon, and F-One.... Now

windwatcher

Since 18 Aug 2005
26 Posts
B.C. Canada

PostThu Aug 23, 07 11:07 am    Get two boards heavy weights need them Reply with quote

I'm 210lbs. and I ride two boards. I always go out on my litewave 179, first (unless its nuking), because there is nothing worse the not having enough power to stay on a plane and stay up wind. If it's to much board you can always get back to your starting point and ride your smaller board. In my case it's an underground wave tray 138. When I've kited the Sandbar, Rufus, or my local spot up here in Canada, I've always leave the one board on the edge of the water so I can change over fast if the wind starts to go up or down. I've never regret getting that litewave 179, it's bulletproof and rides like a big old caddy. I've had tons of people ride it after I've finished for the day, and have had nothing but praise from them for making their day because they just didn't have enough power with the board and kite combo, they where riding. I also have a Jamie pro XXL which is a wide short board, but it doesn't have the bottom end of the litewave and when the litewave becomes to much board it's time for my 138. I've ridden my 138 and my waroo 9 with no problems with the wind gusting to 40mph. at Rufus.

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 23, 07 4:49 pm     Reply with quote

sounds like it may be a good idea to have a big board (150+)for lighter wind days and to learn on...... and a 135/140ish for stronger wind ... this sounds to be a good way to go since i currently have the one kite quiver....big board affects wind range of a 9m kite by how much? oh, and thanks for the replies...

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostThu Aug 23, 07 5:33 pm     Reply with quote

Storm...

Check out the Liquid Force Proof 151cm. Designed specifically to be this board in your 2 board quiver. Great for learning... keep as a light wind/ocean cruising board once you get a bit better.

Best part--- designed not to break the bank on your first board purchase... $299 + your pad/strap choice...

Check with any of our local LF dealers and they'll hook you up...

Portland- Gorge Peformance
503-246-6646

Hood River- 2nd Wind Sports
541-386-4464

Seattle- Seattle Kite Center
206-779-3272

What up Bammer- No respect for your local LF boys?? Must be spending too much time in the office not to notice the boys shooting out there in Maui on the new 2008 Lquid Force Havocs...

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Aug 23, 07 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

My bad Tekko...

Your boys show up on a regular basis at Kite Beach (Blair and Gould) and kill it! The Havoc rides super nice (yes, I do ride every kite I can get my grubby hands on), and yeah sorry about not typing down LF.

The reality is folks that there are lots of good companies out there working super hard to produce the best stuff they can! The real winner in the end is the consumer as kites and boards are sooooo much better than even four years ago.

Kite it up.... Bams

LOOP

Since 08 Feb 2007
107 Posts

Ore-Ida

PostThu Aug 23, 07 6:23 pm     Reply with quote

This is the board I just started working on, my first good wind day I was up, riding, and upwinding in the gusts on it. It is a bit of a monster, but you dont have to have your kite all overpowered to get a big guy like myself (230) planing. Once the planing upwind is in the bag Im sure Ill step up, but this does seem to be a great learner board.
tekko wrote:
Storm...

Check out the Liquid Force Proof 151cm. Designed specifically to be this board in your 2 board quiver. Great for learning... keep as a light wind/ocean cruising board once you get a bit better.

Best part--- designed not to break the bank on your first board purchase... $299 + your pad/strap choice...

Check with any of our local LF dealers and they'll hook you up...

Portland- Gorge Peformance
503-246-6646

Hood River- 2nd Wind Sports
541-386-4464

Seattle- Seattle Kite Center
206-779-3272

What up Bammer- No respect for your local LF boys?? Must be spending too much time in the office not to notice the boys shooting out there in Maui on the new 2008 Lquid Force Havocs...

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu Aug 23, 07 9:37 pm     Reply with quote

BamBam I know how naishcentric you are, but I think its great that you are willing to give respect to the other brands! It speaks a lot to your credibility!

bambam wrote:
Hey Kite...

The dissers are the ones that are actually pretty insecure with both their riding and gear. Shows up pretty readily in their posts.

Most of the NW'ers are a pretty darn casual group, and the reality is that every brand is making some pretty good stuff. Of course people want to share what they ride and why they feel it works well for themselves. Most peeps here will take any opportunity to share that information, but for the most part everyone has an open mind on gear. If it works, it works.

Personally... riding Naish 08 Cults and a 134cm 07 Thorn with a 5'10" directional for wavy days. I look for a good all around kite that works equally well hooked and unhooked. In reagards to twin tip boards...yeah, width is much more important that length, and I look for something right around 40cm. Hope this helps...

Other brands I respect... Cabrina, North, Slingshot, Takoon, and F-One.... Now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: