Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

The Kiteboarder Aug07 Issue/Beginner Handbook Now Online

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 10, 07 9:23 am    The Kiteboarder Aug07 Issue/Beginner Handbook Now Online Reply with quote

Cover: Billy Parker gets huge air at Sherman Island in California/Mike Bradley shows his devotion to kiteboarding....

The Aug07 issue of The Kiteboarder Magazine is our most popular issue yet, full of places to travel, instruction, interviews and gear reviews (yes, real reviews!). More than just pretty pictures, check out the latest edition of the magazine 100% made by kiteboarders for kiteboarders. Go to www.thekiteboarder.com to download!

Launch: Landboarding gains ground and goes online.

Featured interview: Slingshot's Hamish MacDonald speak out on his life as a pro rider.

Travel: 11 Backyard spots throughout North America you need to ride

Set Ups: 7 pros share their gear and tips

Analyze This: 8 products tested and reviewed

Designer Corner: 3 designers reveal what went into the design of their new product releases

Instructional: Ben Wilson shares essent tips and instruction in Wave Riding 101

Plus, check out Will James' monster wave ride in Exposed, Close Up with pros Josh Nehf and Shannon Gormley, Tips from an OG by Nils Stolzechner, how to customize your footstraps in Workbench and much more!

THE KITEBOARDER HANDBOOK

Beginners to intermediate riders will appreciate this 14-page, info-jammed handbook, with up-to-date content based on the newest gear, methods and tips including knowing your weather; finding the choice location; choosing the right gear; how to tune your kite, bar and lines; how to set up your board; knots you need to know; how to launch and land C-kites, hybrids and bows including self-launch/land methods; how to switch directions efficiently; riding etiquette, how to stay upwind; everything you need to know about board leashes; how to body drag back to your board; and last but not least, how to care for your gear.

Compiled by The Kiteboarder Magazine staff and reputable instructors, this handbook has been requested by many schools -- it's that thorough and good! Note that The Kiteboarder Handbook is not meant to replace lessons!!

Go to www.thekiteboarder.com for the download.....

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Aug 10, 07 10:37 am     Reply with quote

Aaaarrrrggggghhhh,

They miscredited that Backyards lead in photo! Bam Bam... not Leroy!!!

Good issue, and I believe Stevenson gets a nod in the Backyards section.

Enjoy, Bams

marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 10, 07 10:55 am     Reply with quote

SORRY BAMMER!!!

marina

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostFri Aug 10, 07 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

About time Billy Parker got some serious magazine action!! Cover, profile, Flexi ad, and a couple other shots..

us St. Pete locals are lucky MFs to have this guy at our beaches...

really good issue .. got it a while back and its one of the best out there.

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 10, 07 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

bleighty wrote:
About time Billy Parker got some serious magazine action!! Cover, profile, Flexi ad, and a couple other shots..

us St. Pete locals are lucky MFs to have this guy at our beaches...

really good issue .. got it a while back and its one of the best out there.

It's unfortunate they don't mention that he towed to get that kind of height

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostFri Aug 10, 07 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

i called the magazine and spoke with someone there that was able to clear up the reason why it was put on the cover and tagged as a jump..

but then there is this:

quote from local rider Skyway Scott from a couple weeks ago when he met up with Billy when Shannon Best was in town..

from forum post:
http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=4175

Here is the scoop. Bill was doing tow ups while out there.
But.... he was also jumping HUGE with his 10.5 in 30 to 35 knots and getting anextra rocket boost from a strong thermal updraft.
So, Billy doesn't even know for sure what particular moment in time that photo captures.

I asked him if he felt like he hit any 70 foot jumps while out there and if the picture is even possible without a towup.
He said yes that he did hit several monster jumps, and was certain a few hit 70 feet.

So, it seems to me this might be a picture of an non tow up jump.
If anyone can do, it's Bill. I have never known him to exaggerate, so it's probably the real deal caught on film.

He went on to say his absolute highest jump ever was at P.A.G behind Shell Island with only 2 older people as spectators. He said the jump was so high, he immediately stopped kiting for the day and called it quits.
That must have been high if Billy actually decided to hop off the water.

Oh, he told some more funny stories to us as well (as usual). One about being sucked under the skyway as a newbie.

Favorite story quote - "Hell no! I've watched shark week on the Discovery Channel, I wasn't gonna swim in!" "

believe whatever.. fact is that Billy is in-fucking-sane and goes off 100% of the time. 100ft tow-ups.. jumping to the moon.. etc..
he will be the absolute first person to charge out to help a fallen rider
and he's got zero of an ego when he's on the beach.
cool that hes finally getting his due.

-b

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: