Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Newbie - which kite/bar set up is the VERY safest?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hiker1

Since 01 Jul 2007
124 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Jul 25, 07 4:01 pm    Newbie - which kite/bar set up is the VERY safest? Reply with quote

Hope it's cool in this forum to compare brands/makes - or please kick this to the right spot.

Putting safety as the numero 1 consideration, which kite/bar set up do you recommend? That is, not factoring in cost/flying specs/ or durability---simply safety.

I like the "oh shit handles" as marketed by Waroo - Slingshot Turo Diesel talks about 100% de-power.... From the perspective of this thrashed up close to 50 year ol body - I'm looking to safety first and ease of figuring out what to do if I have to say - oh shit! Is the Best bar set up GOOD for safety for a beginner?

The addiction grows - already 4 hours of lessons under my belt & a board. Now, just gotta buy the kite/bar set up...maybe an 11M? Hear there are deals on newer/used kites when schools put 07 stuff on sale in September???

Thanks y'all as always for damn good advice and getting me hooked (I'm there - just not in the water there). Smile

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostWed Jul 25, 07 7:13 pm    I like the Turbo Diesel II system! Reply with quote

The absolute depower ring is a great confidence booster, but nothing is for sure.

What I do like about slingshot is the way they handle. My 11 is sweet! It just has a big range and is really easy to relaunch.

The bar system is great!

I think that best has a good bar system as well.

You can't go wrong with 07 stuff.

Good Luck

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostWed Jul 25, 07 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

pilot error is the main danger.. especially leashed pilots Laughing Laughing
(boardleashed)

safety and kiting is as safe as playing with fire. safe is knowing whats safe and not listening to who may answer or trusting them, know for yourself, that being said ask your instructor or someone who really knows but more importantly knows your abilities and how they match your gear and wieght.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

haven't tried much for 07 stuff personally but new is always safer as far as breaking goes. old stuff should have new lines and stuff to really trust them.

cosmodog

Since 06 Oct 2005
201 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 25, 07 8:00 pm     Reply with quote

I recommend getting the Surefire spreader bar from Slingshot.
The thing I like about this system is that you can practice every time you land your kite - just hit the button to release the chicken loop.
So its reflex when the shit hits the fan. Also, you don't have to learn a new system when you buy a different kite.

jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostWed Jul 25, 07 8:30 pm     Reply with quote

i would recommend the North Rebel. As a bow kite, it has a lot of depower, and it has a 5th line for ultimate depower. I don't own one but I have friends who swear they have no problem depowering the kite when it gets up to 40-50+.

I would be skeptical of claims from Slingshot of 100% depower. I bought a 2006 TurboDiesel and it did NOT fully depower when you let out the bar, compared to a Waroo of the same year.

The Waroo's claim of full depower is fairly accurate (especially for 2006.. not quite as much for 2007).

Edit:
Oh.. forgot to mention, the Waroo bar is not particularly safe. In particular, the 2006 quick release does NOT work after a while. 2007 is better, but still the whole quick release is not as reliable as others on the market. Again, the North looks good to me in this department.

Last edited by jonah on Thu Jul 26, 07 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Jul 25, 07 8:41 pm     Reply with quote

2008 Slingshot! Thumb's Up

diggler

Since 26 Jun 2007
6 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jul 25, 07 9:18 pm    rhetoric Reply with quote

'safety is...'
safety is asking questions and listening to answers. making comparisons, seeing patterns within the body of info you get back, will help you discern what's bestexperiece is great if you can get it, but how to demo all the 07 stuff?
2 to 1 depower, 5th line bars like cabrinha and rrd may be a really good way to go. you can really dump off power in a huge way. 06 or 07 stuff mos def. you can get 'used' stuff from all the people who buy too many kites and are addicted to purchasing. most of it is basically new. nice to see anyone looking at kiting from the perspective of safety.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 25, 07 9:27 pm     Reply with quote

I'll agree with cosmodog on the surefire bar. I have used this bar for a couple of seasons now and everytime I come off the water I hit the release button. I have become very familiar with where it resides and I feel it is the best method for me to get rid of the chicken loop from the spreader bar. The disadvantage might be it is not as easy to do unhooked stuff but since you are new to the sport, I think you might wait on those tricks for a little while.
I will say that if you want a kite that has a better safety system, throw down for a 2007 or even a 2008 kite. Kite technology will keep improving and I am sure all of the major brands have a kite that is catered to the newer rider. In your position, it will be difficult for you to try and demo a kite so you will have to make your decision on what others tell you. I encourage you to talk with your instructor about the different brands and maybe an instructor from another school so you can get a different perspective on it.

Good luck with your decision!

stringy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jul 25, 07 10:02 pm     Reply with quote

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 26, 07 5:09 am     Reply with quote

there you go.... happy guys? you have made phil throw up again...

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu Jul 26, 07 6:05 am     Reply with quote

The safest kite is the modern kite you are most familliar with. The most important thing you can do for safty is take a lesson next start with the kite you used in the lesson or at least one that someone who is familliar with can help you set.

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostThu Jul 26, 07 6:36 am     Reply with quote

Safety is in your decisions far more than the kite. You can have all the depower blah blah blah and if you do something boneheaded you will get hurt.

newer is generally better

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostThu Jul 26, 07 6:48 am    Re: Newbie - which kite/bar set up is the VERY safest? Reply with quote

hiker1 wrote:
Hope it's cool in this forum to compare brands/makes

... not that I recall
notice how everybody thinks their gear is the shit?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 26, 07 7:41 am    Re: Newbie - which kite/bar set up is the VERY safest? Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
hiker1 wrote:
Hope it's cool in this forum to compare brands/makes

... not that I recall
notice how everybody thinks their gear is the shit?

Exactly! How many people ride different kites from all the different brands for an extended period of time enough to really know. Though there is some great advice on this thread in that the safety of the gear is only good as its user.

In general newer gear is much better, as improvements in quick releases and kite depowerability and stability are made with every new generation.

One thing you can do is go to the different shops and try out the quick releases on the bar. How easy is it to pull the quick release under load? Does it look like it could jam up or release accidentally? Ask the shop guy how you would flag or totally depower the kite for that particular bar/kite. Also ask how many quick relases would you need to pull to completely ditch the kite.

Hopefully as part of your lessons you were shown how the safety systems on the kite you learned on work, and practiced using them. In that case perhaps the safest kite for you is the one you learned on.

No setup is kitemare proof, that's just reality. Being a safe, calm, and knowledgeable flyer is your best asset to for preventing bad stuff from happening.

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostThu Jul 26, 07 9:47 am     Reply with quote

hiker1.. any of the 07 / 08 sle/bow kites from the major companies will be the way you should be heading. The main thing is stability of the kite, a lot of depower (claims of 100% but that means nothing if something like a line breaks..)

you need to be very comfortable and familiar w/ your QR system and dont push the upper limits of your kite until you master upwind riding and are a body dragging ace.

time spent on the basics and knowing the best ways to get out of potentially serious situations is key.

there is no "absolute safe kite".

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 26, 07 11:42 am     Reply with quote

Safety is for pussies. You want safety, go windsurf.

You want the safest kite? Here....

tradbox.gif 

pappas

Since 10 Jun 2007
58 Posts

PostThu Jul 26, 07 1:17 pm     Reply with quote

Easy answer here...

THE ONE THAT YOU ARE MOST COMFORTABLE AND INTUITIVELY ACTUALLY USE THE SAFETY SYSTEM.

As long as you can train yourself to react and use the safety system with out having to think, then you will be the safest. So, find a bar that seems logical to you and practice actually using the safety features.

Pappas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: