Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Moving to Portland
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
panic

Since 24 Jul 2007
2 Posts

PostTue Jul 24, 07 9:31 am    Moving to Portland Reply with quote

Hi Kiters,

I'm from Cape Cod, MA, have been kiting for around 5 years, and I am seriously considering moving to Portland. And of course, you can't seriously consider moving somewhere without first evaluating the kiting situation there. (My wife differs in this opinion Very Happy)

I know the Gorge is world-famous for its wind, but it seems like a hike from Portland to go all the way out there (OK, so there's good kiting 10 minutes from my house and from my work here on Cape, I'm spoiled). Do you guys from Portland usually drive out to the Gorge, or is there acceptable kiting closer to the city?

Thanks!
-Ryan from MA

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostTue Jul 24, 07 9:43 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you guys from Portland usually drive out to the Gorge

YES!

I live in southeast portland along the 205, and drive out to the gorge about 3 or 4 times a week. Its an hour each way if you go to stevenson, another 15 minutes extra each way if you want to go to hood river. I don't know why you'd want to drive the extra miles for a place that is more crowded and involves a 1/4 mile hike through sand when you have a nice grassy launching area right next to your car at Stevenson. There is a much closer place called Sauvie Island north-west of the airport along the columbia, but the wind is usually very light and is not a place to kite regularly. I would say it gets maybe one good day out of every 2 weeks during the season, but when it does blow, it draws most of the portland kiters to it.

Last edited by Spike on Tue Jul 24, 07 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Jul 24, 07 9:43 am     Reply with quote

Just about everyone on this forum that lives in Portland makes the drive out to the Gorge. Figure it's an hour drive to Hood River, but for good wind, we normally don't care. There is so-so/decent kiting closer to PDX at Sauvie's, but it's still around a 30 minute drive, and that's generally for a lot lighter wind ( http://www.nwkite.com/guides/ ).

EDIT: P.S. - I type slow! Florian beat me... Crying or Very sad

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 24, 07 9:52 am     Reply with quote

Panic, it really depends on where you live around Portland. There are some people who live 30 minutes from Sauvie's island. There are tons of posts regarding Sauvie's. when it blows it generally blows around 13 or 14 MPH. Sometimes up to 18 or 19. However, there are plenty of times it doesn't blow. You will go out there and you get nothing - jack sh*t. You sit on the beach and wait - wait for nothing. Happens all too often Evil or Very Mad

Then there is Stephenson. Stephenson blows harder than sauvie's on average. But definately less than hood river. Stephenson may be a 30 minute drive from portland - depending on where you live. If you live on the East side of portland near a free way then it should really only take you like 30 minutes to get there without traffic. Then there is the spit (Hood River)- thats the famous spot for strong winds in the summer time. Thats about an hour - maybe an hour and 10 minutes from Porland. Again - it really depends on where you live in Portland and how fast you drive.

Then there is Rooster Rock - thats like 20 minutes from portland - but that only gets light westerly winds throughout the summer and then at the end of the summer it gets ripping 40+ easterly winds.

On the west side of the kiteboarding scene is Jones Beach - thats about an hour drive from portland in the opposite direction of Hood River. Jones Beach is nice - the winds aren't as gusty. I would say it blows about the same average as stephenson - more or less.

Then you got the coast - lots of spots along the coast. The closest - maybe 1.5 hours from Portland. And more if you want to drive farther.

And farther out east there are spots like Ruffus and lyle - both super sweet spots. 20 minutes or so past Hood River.

There are a lot of people who don't want their kiteboarding spots to get crowded so they always say - no wind here - just rain Twisted Evil so on behalf of all of those people - I will have to say that the drive is super long and we never kite here in Portland Twisted Evil

Good Luck man. By the way - I am a transplant from phoenix arizona - I moved here three years ago. i love it here. However, the rain is difficult for me and it has taken a lot to get used to. I'm still not completely used to it. Before you move here - check out how much rain we get and how many sunny days we get.

take care.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 24, 07 9:55 am     Reply with quote

[quote="Spike"]
Quote:
but when it does blow, it draws most of the portland kiters to it.

yeah, you know us kiters - we are always looking for a blow!

Seriously, regarding Sauvie's it was really bad last year and its even worse this year. But normally it blows a lot more on a regular basis. I don't know if its going to be better next year or what. But there have been years where it was more consistent.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 24, 07 10:06 am     Reply with quote

Don't forget the coast... 1.5-2 hours a way from PDX, epic riding though.

10 mile+ downwinders in the surf... pretty hard to beat.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostTue Jul 24, 07 10:26 am     Reply with quote

terremoto wrote:
Then there is Stephenson. Stephenson blows harder than sauvie's on average. But definately less than hood river.

Most of the times I've been there It's been white capping like crazy. Ever since I bought my 7m it's all I ever use there. The wind is also rumored to be more steady in SteVenson, though I'm not experienced enough at both places to back that up. I like it cause it saves 40 miles of driving and a sand-getting-in-everything hike

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 24, 07 10:41 am     Reply with quote

You've been using your 7M out at Stevenson SpiCe? Thats pretty sweet!! Didn't know it has been blowing so hard. But I think SpiCe is right - Stevenson isn't as gusty as hood river. Hood River can get crazy gusty.

Spike wrote:
terremoto wrote:
Then there is Stephenson. Stephenson blows harder than sauvie's on average. But definately less than hood river.

Most of the times I've been there It's been white capping like crazy. Ever since I bought my 7m it's all I ever use there. The wind is also rumored to be more steady in SteVenson, though I'm not experienced enough at both places to back that up. I like it cause it saves 40 miles of driving and a sand-getting-in-everything hike

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 24, 07 10:50 am     Reply with quote

on easterly days, stevenson blows like a fan, usually a 6-7 mph wind range, good stuff Exclamation

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 24, 07 10:52 am     Reply with quote

I don't know man, I probably wouldn't move here. The gorge is really far from Portland, there is lots of traffic, and the wind is super super gusty. All the good places to kite are being closed down or are overrun with windsurfers wearing depends undergarments.

East coast is where you want to be! Exclamation
Question Rolling Eyes

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
LGP COUGAR HUNTING ChEETO SLAYER
Windmixer

PostTue Jul 24, 07 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
East coast is where you want to be!

Kiting here is awesome! You have a veriety of different places that killer for kiting, not to mention if you are able, there are lots of places to go land and even snowkiting.

The other thing is when you aren't kiting their are a lot of cougars and pumas to be hunted all over the greater PDX area!

If you like shredding then you will prob dig Portland!

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 24, 07 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

mixwell, sounds like he is married so cougar hunting is probably out... that said the season is in full gear and is expected to last well into the fall. they are travelling in packs in unprecedented #s...

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Jul 24, 07 5:26 pm     Reply with quote

HR was blowing harder today than Stevenson, but I'm sure the gusts were bigger (Stevenson's still better Wink ). Light 5 and solid 7m all day long!

And yea, we get plenty of 7m days at Stevenson, unlike SI.

P.S. - I live in Gresham (east of PDX) and it's still a 45 min drive to Stevenson. SI takes the same from my house, but distance wise it's less.

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
Windmixer

PostWed Jul 25, 07 12:18 am     Reply with quote

mixwell, sounds like he is married so cougar hunting is probably out[quote]

MIXWELL answers to no wife, or girlfriend! I am mearly a Rouge Hunter! Cool

Does Jack have a ball and chain to call his own?

hedquista

Since 13 Apr 2007
72 Posts
Salt lake city

PostWed Jul 25, 07 12:56 am    jsut do it Reply with quote

Who cares jsut move here... i did and i will never regret it. some of the best riding i have had in many years. you wont regret it. it will give you the prep time for getting stoked to throw bigger tricks. the drive home is good down time to unwind about your sick day of kiting. gotta love it all..

panic

Since 24 Jul 2007
2 Posts

PostWed Jul 25, 07 9:59 am     Reply with quote

Hey dudes, thanks for all the responses! Hopefully I'll see ya on the water within the next year!

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
Windmixer

PostWed Jul 25, 07 10:34 am     Reply with quote

Word Panic! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: