Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

harness preference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kiteboardok

Since 23 Jul 2007
5 Posts
Edmond, Oklahoma
Kook

PostTue Jul 24, 07 8:26 am    harness preference Reply with quote

I have not started kiteboarding yet. I have a trainer kite/dvd in the mail on the way coming to me. I realize that I need to take lessons before I buy a kite (bow, which I have been suggested to do) and board and all that good stuff.

I was told that a harness is NOT required for a trainer kite, but would not hurt that way I could get used to how the lines/control bar hook into the harness, etc.

So that shapes the question. What type of harness would be better or would you guys prefer of the following:

Option 1: http://store.kittyhawk.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=105472&UnitCde=1&Desc=Impact%20Waist%20Harness%20w%20bar&Search=N

Option 2: http://www.liquidforcekites.com/harness.htm

Option 3: http://store.kittyhawk.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=108633&UnitCde=1&Desc=Cabrinha%20Impact%20Vest%20+%20Harness&Search=N

I am definately planning on wearing a life jacket at all times, no matter how good I may or may not get.

So would it be ideal to get the impact/floatation device/harness all in one.

Or is it more comfortable just to have the regular harness and get one of those smaller, meshy life jackets and where them together?

I'm not into the whole seat harness thing. I have noticed that over 80% of kiteboarders have the waist harness. So they are doing it for a reason obviously, so that's what I'm going to roll with. It's just a question of impact/floatation device/harness all-in-one or harness and seperate life jacket.

Please comment! I'm learning! Thanks!

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 24, 07 8:57 am     Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of http://dakine.com/kite/harnessesbars/harnesses/impact-harness/

I think the impact harness is the best for someone wanting to wear a life jacket all the time.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostTue Jul 24, 07 9:04 am     Reply with quote

The 07 Dakine impact harness is awesome.
Plus it doesn't hurt as bad when you fall from 15 feet onto your back. It's extremely comfortable and I've never had a problem with the bar jabbing in my ribs. Got a dakine bar pad on it too.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 24, 07 9:15 am     Reply with quote

I have a dakine impact vest I could sell on the cheap. Good way to go when your begining. Its comfortable and provide flotation.

hedquista

Since 13 Apr 2007
72 Posts
Salt lake city

PostWed Jul 25, 07 12:59 am     Reply with quote

i have a dakine impact vest and use my tabu (yes i am small) love it. keeps me from destroying my ribs by having a small harness and the impact vest aswell. very good idea to have the impact vest too. oh and get a helmet. it will save your life. who cares if you look stupid. i would rather look stupid then be stupid after a freak accident.

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostWed Jul 25, 07 5:01 am     Reply with quote

always wonder why people say helmets look stupid..

no one calls out a vert skateboarder for wearing something to protect their noggin...i figure if you are 5 to 25 feet above the surface of the earth.. the LEAST you could do is protect your skull.

i wear the capix wakeboarding helmet and I think it looks sweet.

maybe its just one of those older/wiser/dont-give-a-crap-what-people-think things..

Smile

I use an Ocean Rodeo session harness which is a waist with leg straps.. does not confine like most seat harnesses but will not ride up on the body .. its a solid harness.. it has a built in QR on the leash attachment..

pura vida one

Since 22 May 2007
80 Posts

PostWed Jul 25, 07 5:59 pm    waist vs seat Reply with quote

yeah, i wasn't into the whole seat harness thing either... i saw that most of the rippers were wearing waist harnesses, so i went fo it. my experience w/ my waist harness can be really unpleasant. i think it's actually got some really good design features, but it does ride up, squeeze the fuck out me, and makes the sft tissue around my ribs sore as hell for a day or 2 after. north styler 07. i don't have much 'padding' of my own. i'm buying a seat, keeping the styler around too, but damn...
ace wake helmet, rescue yellow, earpads to save your eardrums on the slams

DROCK999

Since 31 May 2007
852 Posts
Left Coast
Opinionated

PostWed Jul 25, 07 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

Both waist and seat harnesses have thier benefits, i prefere a waist because og the greater movment that you can get. alot of people use the dakine nitrous short/harness, when i used one i found that i was getting some unwanted ridage Evil or Very Mad . I'm a big fan of dakine's products and would suggest them to anyone. Since you say you are going to wear a vest all the time anyway i would suggest taking a strong look at the dakine impact vest/harness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: