Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Whiskey Run Sat.
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 23, 07 11:06 pm     Reply with quote

hmmm, I hear of a surfer or two a year getting hit by a shark. Don't think i've ever heard of a kiter. Sure, beware, of course. But don't stay out of the ocean man.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Jul 23, 07 11:25 pm     Reply with quote

So who's hitting the coast tomorrow (Tuesday)? It's supposed to be back on with some nice swell! I'll be there and hopefully the landlord will let us ride another day without paying rent. Seriously though, you're far more likely to get hurt kiting due to lofting, wrapping in lines, etc. than a shark. Hope to see some of you out there (maybe Manzo) to distract the fishies just in case Wink

brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts
Running around the pool with scissors.

PostTue Jul 24, 07 2:33 am     Reply with quote

I'm headin down there on Wednesday. Was really looking forward to another downwinder at Whiskey Run. Floras lake is looking real good now though.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Jul 24, 07 7:09 am     Reply with quote

looks like Willy has got somebody to pay the rent for him
he's on it
even when he's not at home

I too have been seeing some large grey looking (from the top)fishes

good thing SURFING is making a comeback

did you ride him home on the fender?
I'd put him right on top,
couple of bugees and maybe his mouth would come open,
while going down 1o1

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Jul 24, 07 8:57 am     Reply with quote

bustingbladder wrote:
Be aware of long body drags back to the board out past the breakers. Neutral

See with me, if I'm out there dragging for too long to get back to my board, I'm like FUCK THAT... Drag in and wait for it to come to me! Laughing

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostTue Jul 24, 07 6:53 pm     Reply with quote

Geez I've been surfing a lot lately. I was finally getting over my fear of waking up at the break of dawn and paddling out during feeding hours. Thanks for reminding me that even baby great whites are big.

Andy

pura vida one

Since 22 May 2007
80 Posts

PostTue Jul 24, 07 9:26 pm    likely Reply with quote

yes, you are more likely to get hurt kiting than you are to be bit by a shark. but i'm asking the question: is it getting sharkier? the ocean has been warmer than average off our coast and i'm wondering if this is causing more sharks close to shore. 4 sightings by kiters since the 4th of july (posting on this forum, i mean). wait til solflyer gets on and tell his latest story... hopefully he'll post the video of it on youtube or something. he's itchin' to get on this one! yeah, brah!
maybe there are just more people out in the water, and out farther, that's why we're seeing more.

brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts
Running around the pool with scissors.

PostTue Jul 24, 07 9:43 pm     Reply with quote

southcoaster

Since 27 Jan 2007
20 Posts
Denmark

PostWed Jul 25, 07 5:59 am    getting sharkier... Reply with quote

I think it is the warm water. I was at Whiskey Run again yesterday and saw some kids dragging another shark out of the water. I went over to warn them about the sharp teeth. Fortunately for them this one was already dead. It was about the same size as the first one but didnt have a visible wound on it. The water is unbelievably warm right now, but will probably cool off quickly with the N. wind blowing for the next week.

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostMon Jul 30, 07 5:57 am    Re: likely Reply with quote

pura vida one wrote:
wait til solflyer gets on and tell his latest story... hopefully he'll post the video of it on youtube or something. he's itchin' to get on this one! yeah, brah!
maybe there are just more people out in the water, and out farther, that's why we're seeing more.

sorry but since i'm on the road its a pain to get footage edited and put up on the web....it'll hafta be later in the year.

but mike? did you pull that thing out? the day before i got some footage of you and tim doing a downwinder (friday20th). As you come tacking back towards shore and start to get in the waves again, a fin pops up behind you and follows you for a about 10-15yds until you ride over a wave and the shark pauses to look around like......where did my meal go?
guessing by fin size i'd say 10-12 foot guppy.

just another reason not to pee in your wetsuit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: