Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Backwinded Winging ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Jan 03, 24 11:27 am    Backwinded Winging ? Reply with quote

I'd like to practice this over the winter--I think. When one gets pasted downwind with wing on top of you, does the foil typically roll over and pierce your wing/body?

Thanks,
Eric

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jan 04, 24 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

I am so spooked to try this but everyone who does it says it's easy.

Shocked

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 04, 24 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, I hear the same...

I would like to avoid a foil through the wing as much as possible, especially since I run a longer mast. One tip I was given is as you get pitched leeward jam the front foot to bury the nose.

Love to hear from folks who have learned recently.

Eric

Kay

Since 11 May 2009
211 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Jan 05, 24 3:24 am    I’m no expert Reply with quote

Hi Eric

Last time I winged and practiced this move I was past the 65-75% success rate of doing backwind riding. So take this advice for what it is. I’m no expert!

I had a similar concern when I first started, that and tangling with the two leashes … so after researching I ended up with a 5’ kaohi double coil leash attached to my calf and a ozone belt with bungee leash attached to my wing. This for the most part creates enough of a distance between the wing and foil. Most falls where I suspected there might be a collision I fully dropped the wing to give it more room to escape flying above my head.

I think it also helps if you’re at a point where you can ride a smaller size wing which doesn’t push you off as violently. I wasn’t there yet and so usually I got tossed in violently, luckily no punctures that way. I do ride a 80L with a 93cm mast so perhaps the physics of my setup make it tough to get the foil to actually become airborne.

I know you’re diligent in learning your moves throughly so best of luck with this one, practice makes better. See you out on the water one of these days.

-Kay

DownWindRun

Since 15 Mar 2010
45 Posts
Vancouver

PostFri Jan 05, 24 4:37 am     Reply with quote

It seems to take me forever to learn any new move on foil. Spent most of the summer learning to tack and still don’t have heal side goofy locked down. I rode every day there was wind June – mid September.

Started to play around back winding in late August and it is by far the quickest move I have learned wingfoiling and I have not put any new holes in my wings while learning it.

Watch the Kitesurf College videos on riding backwind and also the one on Brief-Backwind Jibe (race jibe). I would recommend learning the Brief-Backwind Jibe first as it gives a fast and easy way to bail out of riding back winded. Amazingly it only took me a couple tries to get the Brief-Backwind Jibe dialed in and after a couple sessions I was riding back winded and even got some back winded 360s.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Jan 05, 24 10:28 am     Reply with quote

^^^

Great information for me guys. Thanks so much. And yes, I am an athlete of 10,000 hours on new moves. My practice methodology often reminds me of the famous "Again!" scene from Miracle on Ice....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uBZ76jH4xk

Eric

Thatspec

Since 17 Mar 2008
115 Posts
Ptucky
Stoked

PostSat Jan 13, 24 11:20 pm     Reply with quote

Been working on it, so far no damage to myself or gear. Like the idea of jamming the nose in if you're gonna crash. I learned the carving backwinded 360 first but that ends up being the easiest and safest escape from the BW-ed position. Just go into it with plenty of speed and come out on a very broad reach. LET that back hand sheet the wing out. Use a wave to keep your speed up initially and/or pump the foil.

I don't see or feel much of a point to LE downward facing when backwinded. Be prepared for lots of re-starts Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: