Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Thanks for the help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
463 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 17, 23 5:38 pm    Thanks for the help! Reply with quote

Thanks to anyone who helped chase down and capture my wayward UFO today at the event site. Thanks Stuart for your help and a second launch!

Launching in the tricky wind, I was pulling on my front lines. My donkey dick just wasn’t stiff enough, and the chicken loop fell out of the hook. When the kite powered up the bar was ripped out of my hands, the safety leash ripped the harness webbing, and the whole Maryanne went flying away. Premature ejection. So embarrassing.

Lots of help and I was reset and launched again in a few minutes. I’m just glad it happened on the beach.

Thinking it over, I realize almost all of my long swim, kitemares have started with an accidental unhooking. Since I would never intentionally unhook while foiling, it’s long past time to rethink the whole harness connection and lose the chicken loop.

Thanks again, everybody!

dhhr

Since 09 Jul 2015
28 Posts
Hood River

PostSun Sep 17, 23 6:18 pm     Reply with quote

the same thing happened to me this season at Rufus - I didn't realize it, but the donkey dick was cracked at the base, and couldn't hold the chicken loop on when I had to fall back into the water for a sec while launching during gusty winds.

The kite released but luckily the safety leash held and the kite didn't fly out to the middle of a fast current. A simple inspection would've told me to replace the donkey dick and avoid the whole unintended release.

Glad everything turned out ok for you!

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 18, 23 12:38 am    Good Bye Hooks Reply with quote

Ugh!

Glad you got sorted quickly with no lasting issues.
I'm 1000% convinced most kiters have the WRONG connection, I did.

NOT ANYMORE, double slider gives fail safe connection such a better way to go IMHO.

Never looked back after my 2nd long self rescue from the far side of Rufus - YUCK

Just sayin' either you are UNHOOKING or you ARE NOT.
IF NOT, why are you still using a HOOK??? ________

MC

2023-09-18_01-28-02.png 

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 18, 23 7:36 am     Reply with quote

I was the foiler giving you space to launch and saw that sucker snap on you. I'd just mentioned to a couple sitting on the rocks that they should consider it's an active kite launching area (and we're probably lucky the prime season tourons weren't there). Good on ya, dude who ran and grabbed it!

@McLovin, what spreader bar is that? I'm using the Ride Engine slider and am religious about watching and changing out the line but would love to learn more about having a backup... (probably should use search or start a new thread, eh?).

And don't worry, we've all had premature ejections at one point or another...

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 18, 23 8:58 am     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:

@McLovin, what spreader bar is that? I'm using the Ride Engine slider and am religious about watching and changing out the line but would love to learn more about having a backup...

Yup - Mystic Stealth - this new version of the slider is great with the double loops and also easy & cheap to swap out the lines as they start to get worn, although anything but cheap initially...

MC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: