Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SST vs UFO?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
165 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSun Sep 17, 23 5:36 am    SST vs UFO? Reply with quote

I got into kitefoiling this summer, using my SST’s. The newer SST’s V5 seem lighter and worked well. My 8m and 10m SST (2017?) seem heavier and seem to fall out of the sky sooner on jibes, sometimes resulting in me dropping the kite in the water during light winds. It might also be more about my skills than the kite.

I am considering getting some UFO’s for foiling (5, 7 and maybe 9). I would love to hear from people on whether it’s worth moving from SST to UFO. Also is it worth it given the lighter weight of the newer SST’s?

I will still use my SSTks for riding my surfboard.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
463 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 17, 23 5:23 pm     Reply with quote

You want the UFO, it’s a game changer. Pick up a used 5. That’ll do ya for most gorge foiling. Add a 7. That’s your quiver.

HH

Since 24 Jul 2014
39 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostMon Sep 18, 23 8:33 pm     Reply with quote

I have a Cloud quiver and my 3.7 (4m UFO equivalent) is by far my most used kite during summer in the Gorge. I use it in 15-21 knots of wind. Followed by 4.8 (5m UFO equivalent) in 12-18 knots.. My 6.2m only gets used a handful of times during summer. A little more often in Sept/Oct. I weigh 68-70 kg. If you weigh over 85 kg, then 5m will probably be your go to size in the Gorge.

elliotts_travels

Since 20 Aug 2016
14 Posts

PostMon Oct 09, 23 10:13 am     Reply with quote

I would absolutely pick up a 5m UFO, this kite is absolutely the best in class for kite foiling and in the Gorge, you will use a 5m the most. Agree with Singlemalt, after your 5m, get a 7m. Then your quiver is complete. I would also add a Joystick, the new foil bar. Thing is unreal.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 09, 23 6:06 pm     Reply with quote

At 195, my most used Gorge UFO is the 4m. 20 - 30 mph it's magic. The 6m is way faster than the 7m too. 4, 5, 6 is the perfect Gorge UFO V2 quiver, IMHO. That covers 95% of my riding with always being in the sweet spot for one of those kites. After that, the 3m is just so much fun on big days. Anything above 25 mph works great, but 28 - 40 that 3 is just like going to Disneyland. The 8 or the 9 works fine for the occasional light wind day, and the 11m is really only needed for sub 9 mph days. (Although I watched Jeremy ride his 9m in winds I measured on my boat as 6 - 8 mph.) The 11m is a light wind killer for sure, but gets over-powered pretty early.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: