Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

UFO vs CLOUD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
thurmondmb

Since 10 Jul 2018
64 Posts

PostSun Sep 10, 23 11:18 am    UFO vs CLOUD Reply with quote

What are the differences? I just flew a the 6.2 cloud (not sure which year) and liked it. Fast with a big wind range. I have flown the 5 and 7 UFO and I thought they were slower than the cloud but the ufo has more lift at the apex. This is just my experience. What are yours?

Also in terms of durability, a buddy of mine was also out on the 4.8 cloud. He was messing around and crashed his kite and the thing tore in two spots, both close to the outer sides, from the leading edge all the way to the trailing edge on both sides of the kite. I feel like slingshots are durable and they have a customer support team here in the states. So potentially a leg up to the UFOs in this department. Any feedback here?

Also, how do the sizes compare? Is the 6.2m cloud more comparable to the 5 or 7 UFO? How about the 8M cloud? Is it more like the 9M ufo?

Thanks.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 11, 23 7:10 am    Re: UFO vs CLOUD Reply with quote

thurmondmb wrote:

Also, how do the sizes compare? Is the 6.2m cloud more comparable to the 5 or 7 UFO? How about the 8M cloud? Is it more like the 9M ufo?

I haven't flown the Clouds, but at a guess I'd say the 6.2m Cloud is closest to the 6m UFO, and that the 8m Cloud is closest to the 8m UFO.

Bear in mind that the V2 UFO is a huge upgrade over the V1 and V1.1 UFOs. (I'm guessing you fly V1.1 UFOs since you only mention odd sizes?) It's not just marketing; the V2 is faster, has a larger wind range, and flies better in all wind ranges. It's a different--better-- kite, while retaining what was great about the V1.1.

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
145 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Sep 11, 23 10:29 am     Reply with quote

If someone is on a 5m UFO I’m grabbing my 4.8m cloud. If someone has a 9m I will be fine on my 8m. But NAK is right, SS filled in the sizes so it is probably pretty much 1:1. I did damage my clouds and needed one sewn up but I bought them well used and crashed them pretty hard. I have not had any such problems since my initial mistakes.

I’ve wanted to trade off with friends but have not done it so my experience is only on clouds. I just tend to assume that are both equally good in the current iterations that I would be happy with either. From what I’ve read I would definitely prefer a D model Cloud over the UFO 1.1.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 11, 23 11:51 am     Reply with quote

You adopt a Cloud
You buy a UFO

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 16, 23 6:18 am     Reply with quote

flipper wrote:
You adopt a Cloud
You buy a UFO

Wow, that says pretty terrible things about people who SELL their used Clouds. Wink Very Happy Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: