Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

question (maybe stoopid) regarding the event site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 24, 23 10:09 am    question (maybe stoopid) regarding the event site Reply with quote

i was tiptoeing in again with the wing and foil over those sharp rocks at the event site, and was wondering why there isn't any sand there, at least in that upper section where all the bigger rocks have been removed. It sure hurts feet. With all the money the event site makes (parking), wouldn't having a softer walkout be an easy thing? Is there something I'm missing? (erosion?).

Anyway, i was just wondering with each painful step to get out of the water and up the beach to the grass....

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 24, 23 11:13 am     Reply with quote

This may not be a direct answer, but when the waterfront park was created, having a swim beach was a goal. There were hydrology studies resulting in how that beach was designed. I vaguely remember talk of sand and rock movement due to eddies.

Or, could just be politics (as usual)... Rolling Eyes

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
261 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 24, 23 3:16 pm     Reply with quote

Seems like if the sandbar can hold onto all that sand being surrounded by the river, the little ES launch could hang on to it. Barely functioning restrooms should be a higher priority, but even that seems to be a struggle.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 26, 23 6:55 am     Reply with quote

since the event site has been there so long, i figured there was some historical reason for the rocks. i didn't figure erosion would be it because there are sandy beaches on the columbia, and pretty sure there aren't any eddies there (maybe the sandbar killed them?) There's got to be someone who knows why it's been rocks for so long!

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
389 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 26, 23 7:25 am     Reply with quote

tinyE wrote:
since the event site has been there so long, i figured there was some historical reason for the rocks. i didn't figure erosion would be it because there are sandy beaches on the columbia, and pretty sure there aren't any eddies there (maybe the sandbar killed them?) There's got to be someone who knows why it's been rocks for so long!

They are too concerned about parking enforcement to worry about a sandy beach. Laughing

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 26, 23 7:37 am     Reply with quote

maybe i just complain too much! there are many others that use the event site WAY more than I do, and I didn't find anyone else crying about their tender feet! Smile

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostWed Jul 26, 23 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Ever since I jammed my toe into my surfboard handle pocket, I've been rocking water shoes. Best decision that works for anywhere you kite/wing/windsurf.

Lior

Since 26 Mar 2015
68 Posts

PostWed Jul 26, 23 9:08 am    protect your feet Reply with quote

In addition the riverbed contains other hazards in the forms of:

- broken logs
- fish hooks
- sharp metal objects
- metal wires
- part of broken docks
- etc.

As much I like the feeling of riding barefoot i have seen to many folks cut their feet on these or ...... from their hydrofoil.

something like ONeill Superfreak or their reef booties can make a big difference while still allow you to have good feel on your board.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
463 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 26, 23 10:09 am    It’s one big eddy Reply with quote

Remember, the HR waste water treatment plant out flow is just off the northeast end of Wells island. If there’s an equipment malfunction, E.coli levels can rise quickly.

It’s one big eddy around the sandbar and back towards the event site. That’s why the sand bar is growing towards the west, but has steep edges on the north side.

The Dalles poop plant also has frequent problems that affect Doug’s and Rowena.

Get a gash on your foot and you could end up with a nasty infection.

I used to wear sandals into the water to get over the nasty stuff and then throw the pair up on the rocks a ride barefoot. Booties are just easier. Never know when a foil adventure will turn into a hike through the poison oak and rocks.

Anybody remember when the entry to the water at the event site was floating ramps covered with astroturf? And the log rafts moored to the steel dolphins?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: