Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

BOTG and The Blowout July 14th-16th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
grom

Since 07 Aug 2006
167 Posts

Bolstad Clan

PostSun Jun 11, 23 4:34 pm    BOTG and The Blowout July 14th-16th Reply with quote

2023 Bridge of the Gods Youth Freestyle and The Blowout are scheduled for the weekend of July 14th-16th in Stevenson, Washington. Our list of sponsors is headlined by Doug's Hood River, Cabrinha Kites and DaKine Sports, and includes over 30 companies both local and far. We guarantee a prize to everyone that enters the Bridge of the Gods or the Blowout.

Bridge of the Gods Youth Freestyle:
BOTG Youth Competition is open to all kiters and wingers 20 and younger. This is a fun event for all kids to enter, Amateur and Sponsored, with the chance to win the latest gear, or specialty prizes, as well as a great platform to showcase the sports top youth riders. Registration will happen in Stevenson on the day of the event from 9-10am. Saturday July 15th is the intended date with Friday July 14th as our back up wind day. Wind decision will be no later than the morning of Thursday, July 13th.

The Blowout:
Premiering in the late 80's, The Blowout is Kiteboarding's longest running event. A 17-mile downwind race from Stevenson to Hood River, the race is open to all intermediate to advanced kiters, wingers or windsurfers. Everyone will be placed on teams of 4 at random to enhance the fun, and safety. Teams don't have to race together but get a total score based on their collective results. Everyone must be on a team and all teams will be selected at random after registration. Beer, pizza, and an award ceremony await everyone at the finish line. Registration will happen in Stevenson on the day of the race from 9:30-10:30 am. Carpooling is encouraged. The Blowout is scheduled for Sunday July 16th with a backup day of Saturday July 15th.

If you have any questions, please message or post your question here and we will get back to you.

BOTG-POSTER-IG-POST-V02-1080x1350.jpg 

BLOWOUT-2023-FINAL-W-BLACK-BOX.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  BLOWOUT-2023-FINAL-W-BLACK-BOX.pdf
 Filesize:  368.95 KB
 Downloaded:  455 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

BOTG-VERSION-2023-FINAL.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  BOTG-VERSION-2023-FINAL.pdf
 Filesize:  426.85 KB
 Downloaded:  421 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

BlowOut

Since 22 Jul 2005
17 Posts

PostTue Jun 13, 23 6:49 am     Reply with quote

I can't wait to watch. You all should see me when I jump out of my crib; my roast Beef grab is a perfect medium rare.

Couple more years and I'll be old enough to enter!!!!

See you in and on the water.

FreeSWAG2022BLOWOUT.jpg 

Lior

Since 26 Mar 2015
68 Posts

PostWed Jun 21, 23 9:14 am    Blowout Reply with quote

Hi all, happy summer.

How long does it take folks to finish the down winder for hood river?

What is the boat support situation in the race?

Does anyone have contact of a jet ski person I can hire as boat support ?

Thanks
Lior

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jun 21, 23 9:29 am    Re: Blowout Reply with quote

Lior wrote:
Hi all, happy summer.

How long does it take folks to finish the down winder for hood river?

What is the boat support situation in the race?

Does anyone have contact of a jet ski person I can hire as boat support ?

Thanks
Lior

I'm pretty sure there isn't any boat support the event provides. If you end up doing it I'd carabiner a pair of sandals on the back of your harness in case you need to bail and go on shore. I'd also have a $50 bill on you with some phone #'s that are waterproof.

I'm sure you could find someone with a jetski for hire. One idea would be to hire Joe:
https://joethekiter.com/

If you're interested in past results, go to the search function and type in "Grom" on the author prompt and you can access past year's results etc etc

Here is last years. . . with times etc etc

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-47118.html&highlight=

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
261 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 21, 23 2:40 pm    Most Epic of Blowouts! Reply with quote

Let's not forget the most Epic of Blowout stories!

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-33858.html&highlight=blowout

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostWed Jun 28, 23 10:40 am     Reply with quote

LOL I hope to ride in it this year- I missed last year

grom

Since 07 Aug 2006
167 Posts

Bolstad Clan

PostMon Jul 03, 23 9:14 am    No boat support Reply with quote

The Blowout doesn’t have boat support. It used to. We would pay a lot of money for a boat to follow last place down and try and pick up people who fell. I don’t think they ever saved anyone. Sense going away from boat support and putting people on teams our percentage of finishers has gone way up. My guesses are: 1. People who don’t think they can make it don’t race. 2. People race a little safer knowing there isn’t boat support and other people are counting on them for results. 3. All racers are willing to put their own race aside to help someone in trouble knowing there’s no boat support. In the end most riders would rather we put the money into more swag for all riders and more money into the Bridge of the Gods for the kids. This year all riders will receive a blowout rash guard and blowout t shirt with tanks for the ladies, plus food, beer, prizes, and more. We also do our best to give big prizes to racers NOT in the top ten with games such as: 1. How many candies in this jar? 2. Guess the winners time before the race. 3. What is the largest number less then 42 that no one else will guess. And a straight random raffle. We do take a sharpie and write a phone number on EVERYONES arm and have cars driving both the Washington and Oregon side looking for walkers. I’m sorry if anyone feels this isn’t safe enough.

doogie

Since 16 Oct 2013
12 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostTue Jul 04, 23 11:11 am     Reply with quote

I think this is one of the safest “distance” events you can have in this format. Whenever you take yourself on the water, you are responsible for yourself. In the marine industry, the skipper is responsible and makes the final decision whether it’s safe to go on the water or not. If you are not comfortable with the conditions, don’t go out.
I have participated in this race several times and never felt there was any risk to myself. First of all, all the riders do an excellent job looking out one another.
If conditions get too gnarly for you at some point, you can always bail out to shore. As I tell my kids about doing water sports on the river, “it’s fresh water, nothing is going to eat you, and there is a highway on both sides if you need to get out.”
It’s a super fun event and I have really enjoyed participating in them and making new friends.

Lior

Since 26 Mar 2015
68 Posts

PostWed Jul 05, 23 8:00 am    about the race Reply with quote

thanks for the last two posts. Super helpful.

See you all on race day Smile

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 05, 23 10:33 am    preferred gear Reply with quote

What is the preferred gear? Kite? Surfboard? Foil? Wing? Waterskis? Seems like kite foil would be fastest. Wing foil would eliminate chance of tangles etc.

And what is with the person that posts that shitty diaper pic on every thread?

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Jul 05, 23 12:35 pm    Re: preferred gear Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
What is the preferred gear? Kite? Surfboard? Foil? Wing? Waterskis? Seems like kite foil would be fastest. Wing foil would eliminate chance of tangles etc.

The race is all about managing the lulls and how much power you can handle when the wind amps up. You might launch at Stevie in 10 - 18 conditions. Swim through Dog Mountain and by the time you reach HR it's pumping 35. I've always rigged a 12M with 27M lines and have been passed by dudes just FLYING by me like I was standing still. It's awesome. Everyone watches out for each other and just finishing is a big accomplishment.

With that said....you need to know how to self rescue proficiently. Strap walking shoes to your body and a $20 for the hitchhiker ride and you'll be good to go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: