Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

wing harness?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kuips

Since 19 Mar 2009
76 Posts
white salmon

PostThu Jun 01, 23 8:37 am    wing harness? Reply with quote

What are peoples thoughts on winging with a harness? Are they really a gamechanger or should I just keep riding without? What harnesses do you like?

85% of the time I don't feel like I need one, but when I'm heading up to the hatch from HR, for the second time in a session, and my arms are starting to burn I can see the appeal.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Jun 06, 23 6:22 am     Reply with quote

Interested to hear from any pro-wing harness people. I feel like I rarely see them being used but I am usually the only winger at my launches. Not having a harness is one of my favorite things about winging so I would be a tough sell.

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostTue Jun 06, 23 11:56 am    harness Reply with quote

Let's get this outa the way...4 Stringer/KipWinger - first winger in the gorge. Okay, now with this outa the way. I'm gonna experiment with one, and will let you know my conclusions. I think it's gonna help a lot for the 15% of the time that I need it. Hear you re: tough sell. Same here, but I think it's gonna be good to have, for when wanna avoid total toast on back muscles in unwinding conditions, and when doing a fuck ton of winging.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jun 06, 23 12:10 pm    Re: harness Reply with quote

4Stringer/KipWinger wrote:
. . .when doing a fuck ton of winging.

What is the exact quantification of this? Is it 12 of 12 sessions on the water;
equal to a dozen dozens aka A GROSS?
Razz Laughing

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostTue Jun 06, 23 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

for wings bigger then 5.0 a harness is very nice to have when you basically just mowing the lawn. If you on the coast you can hold a better tack to get up wind a bit better but still pretty minor. Less is more when winging and having a harness is a personal choice. So might like the extra support and other might not. I would recommend just trying it with a harness you already have and start there to size down in weight and overall size of a wing harness. From my experience High Aspect anything will help with the arm pump and back workout. If you're still a big wuss I would recommend setting up a hang hand bar to build up core fore arm, all back, and easy core workout. Just find a drift log with odd size all over for good practice for your hands to grip on to. Do that for the rest of our life and most pain will go away and will be strong like bull.

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jun 07, 23 6:58 am     Reply with quote

I have been using this and find I need almost no support. Harness is great for upwind, if your arms need a little rest or if you need to make any adjustments to your person, water wear, check messages on watch etc...

https://www.forward-wip.com/produit/wing-harness/

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 07, 23 8:31 am    Re: harness Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
4Stringer/KipWinger wrote:
. . .when doing a fuck ton of winging.

What is the exact quantification of this? Is it 12 of 12 sessions on the water;
equal to a dozen dozens aka A GROSS?
Razz Laughing

is this more or less than a sh&t ton? Very Happy

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Jun 07, 23 8:34 am     Reply with quote

I use my harness 85.3% of the time going up wind. I use it 0% riding the waves or going downwind. It doubles my time on the water because going up wind is the most strain on the muscles. At the hatchery we all do this cycle of riding upwind, jibing and playing in the waves downwind. I love it and it is easy to disconnect quickly. On the really big days , 30+, Im not in it as much since the waves are doing most of the work.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
389 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 07, 23 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

My T-rex arms are hurting just reading this... Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: