Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anybody using insta360 camera for kite footage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
LGP COUGAR HUNTING ChEETO SLAYER
Windmixer

PostTue Apr 18, 23 7:31 am    Anybody using insta360 camera for kite footage? Reply with quote

I have just recently purchased a insta360 cam for kiting and was wondering if anyone uses them and how they rig the camera for kiting?

Kay

Since 11 May 2009
211 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Apr 19, 23 1:35 am     Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/rHeHl5-b_ic - mounted on the front of board using an integrated mount slot (board is actually for sale on here). Pretty good footage but was always worried about knocking it off on wipeouts.

https://youtu.be/UTp1Pr-qqQc- helmet mounted, works fine and gets great shots. Swing weight is noticeable.

Water drops create major footage distortion.

Good luck, looking forward to your video!

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
98 Posts

PostWed Apr 19, 23 10:35 am     Reply with quote

I just got one too, but now more for efoil / wing use, which means a hand is free for selfie stick. Back in kite gopro days, one of the set ups that worked was a long selfie stick down the impact vest, so it's a few feet overhead (or the actual backpack mount). That would work well with the 360 filming view.

You can also pull out the selfie stick and hold it one handed, at least when riding straight. Same for holding the selfie stick 2 handed under the bar, with it sticking out one side.

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
Windmixer

PostThu Apr 20, 23 7:18 am     Reply with quote

Nice I think I will go with the helmet option. Needs to be smooth surface for it to mount correctly i would assume. I don't currently have a kite helmet and really know nothing about them. Would you say Gafh is the way to go?

Thanks for the advise Very Happy

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 20, 23 11:36 am     Reply with quote

no experience with the 360 cams but for GoPros helmet mounting leads to constant blurry footage. You really need to lick your lens to keep your shots clean.

Kay

Since 11 May 2009
211 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Apr 21, 23 12:46 am     Reply with quote

I like the Gath helmet, it fits me well, I use the surf convertible model. Once you get use to it it's hard not to wear it, you feel "naked" without it... but you need to not care about how you look (or what others think).

As for the mount, there is a slightly curved 3m stick-on mount designed for helmets, which works fine and feels secure. I do use it with the 360 camera and the footage is steady, it's just the water drops. Licking it or spraying rainx is supposed to help I guess.

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
Windmixer

PostFri Apr 21, 23 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
I like the Gath helmet, it fits me well, I use the surf convertible model. Once you get use to it it's hard not to wear it, you feel "naked" without it... but you need to not care about how you look (or what others think).

As for the mount, there is a slightly curved 3m stick-on mount designed for helmets, which works fine and feels secure. I do use it with the 360 camera and the footage is steady, it's just the water drops. Licking it or spraying rainx is supposed to help I guess.

Awesome thx for the advice! I dont give a F what i look like Laughing I am all about the footy Cool

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
Windmixer

PostFri Apr 21, 23 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

I wonder if it would work on my protec skate helmet? that would be preferable in my opinion!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 07, 23 8:31 am     Reply with quote

I have the insta 360 camera and it works well for capturing different perspectives within the same data file. it does make large files but as long as you have a decent sized memory card, you can just store them on your card and just transfer the exported files to your phone or computer. I have messed around with a boom off my harness back side. this works well but the extra length of the boom can cause a bit of load on the harness connection point. with the insta360, I prefer a helmet mount. if you can get the camera extended away from your helmet the auto stitching does a superb job. I don't trust stick on mounts especially if you use a boom. I made a mount that is more integrated with the helmet for a solid connection.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: