Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

DELETE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 06, 23 8:52 am    DELETE Reply with quote

Thread went off topic, please delete
Last edited by mikeinhoodriver on Thu Mar 09, 23 9:57 am; edited 2 times in total

Lior

Since 26 Mar 2015
68 Posts

PostMon Mar 06, 23 1:42 pm    just two Reply with quote

I have been using 5.4 and 4. This was enough to cover winds of 15mph -sub 30mph

I may get 3.5 and 6.5 (if I find good deals)

Lior

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 06, 23 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

All of them. šŸ˜

4m (SIC Raptor) and 5m (Cabrinha Crosswing). For now, anything windier and I kite.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 06, 23 7:30 pm    Re: just two Reply with quote

Lior wrote:
I may get 3.5 and 6.5 (if I find good deals)

Negotiated a good deal on a Crosswing, as Cabrinha has basically merged the Mantis and Crosswing for a new model this year. I think many folks don't like windows, so the Crosswing concept probably didn't sell well, but for the bigger wing size I prefer the visibility.

Had also gotten a decent closeout deal on the Raptor a while back. I think we're still in a period of rapid evolution on wing designs so deals should abound.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Mar 07, 23 7:35 am     Reply with quote

As I improved my skills I had to add a 2.3 for the big gorge days. I use my 3 the most, then my 4 and 5 the least in the gorge.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Mar 07, 23 10:26 am    Wing curious Reply with quote

Asking for a friendā€¦what are the wind ranges and wing sizes for a 200 lb gorge kiter who might be tempted to transition into winging?

Maybe some advice on a board to start and foil sizes, ya know, for my friendā€¦

Any of the kite stuff going to cross over? Or is it a start from zero gear hunt?

Thanks!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Mar 07, 23 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt I started on a 120 liter board, 3weeks later a 110, 2weeks later a 95 and finally my second season went to a 70L which I will keep for the rest of my career, maybe. Its very easy to sell big boards because this sport is growing exponentially . 4-5L liter is a good wing size for starting. Don't learn in light winds or a small board, it doubles the learning curve. Foil size around 1000

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Mar 08, 23 10:00 am     Reply with quote

I think (like kites) you need 4-5 wings to cover the light winds at the coast and SI and the nooker Gorge days. 3M - 7M

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 08, 23 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
Singlemalt I started on a 120 liter board, 3weeks later a 110, 2weeks later a 95 and finally my second season went to a 70L which I will keep for the rest of my career, maybe. Its very easy to sell big boards because this sport is growing exponentially . 4-5L liter is a good wing size for starting. Don't learn in light winds or a small board, it doubles the learning curve. Foil size around 1000

This advice is not applicable to a 200 pound grown man. Moondog weighs 150 soaking wet.
First board should be your weight in Kilograms + 40 - (90kg+40 = 130 liter board).
First foil for a 200 pounder should be at least 1700^2 sq cm, preferably around 2000. You'll never get up on foil on a 1000^2 cm. A short mast (75cm will help).
Your first hand wings should be 5m and 6m.
Buy used gear from the usual reputable brands.

Your kitesurf skills are not applicable... windsurf background really helps. kite foil skills are best.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostWed Mar 08, 23 6:37 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
I think (like kites) you need 4-5 wings to cover the light winds at the coast and SI and the nooker Gorge days. 3M - 7M

I would skip the 7m wing since winging in really light winds is not so much fun.
But I do agree with the 1.0m spacing between wings. Smaller is even better if you can afford it, but I would say 1.5m gaps between sizes is too big for winging.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: