Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Mountain Board + Wing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
780 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostWed Feb 15, 23 4:52 pm    Mountain Board + Wing Reply with quote

Anyone use a mountain board with a wing?
i have a long flat gravel road over by me that blows 10-15mph that might be fun to ride sometimes.

I'm assuming like snowkiting, you would use a smaller wing than on the water?

Other thoughts?

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Feb 15, 23 5:34 pm     Reply with quote

Dirtsurfer would have less drag. I would use a 4M kite with a dirtsurfer, where I would use a 5M kite with a hydrofoil. With a dirtsurfer and a wing, I would pair a 2M.
The smaller the wing, the less ground contact giving less wear & tear on the wingtips.

The other option is a Nasa Star kite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riyTlW0pd94

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostThu Feb 16, 23 11:42 am     Reply with quote

yeah as bomber mentioned, all I would worry about is dragging the wing on the dirt.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Feb 16, 23 2:21 pm     Reply with quote

I love taking mine out at low tide.

Screenshot_20201018-121054_Video Player.jpg 

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Feb 17, 23 6:53 am    really fun! Reply with quote

Been riding my MBS mtn board with 8 in wheels for 4 yrs now a mile from my house,as the first wings came into the Gorge, since first watching my friend and his wife killing it at low tide and north wind at Agate Beach. 3 five mile downwinders in one day to the jetty, as buddies were out in crappy conditions at Southbeach.. wondering where I was and why I wasn't out there with them sharing shitty conditions! Clue.. wings aren't just for water! Really good way to learn EVERYTHING about handling a wing efficiently without getting wet and struggling to figure it out as you float away. Hint... Try Snow winging, good conditions will blow your mind! (Check Luke's videos!) Lift tickets, lift lines, burning gas to have fun.. no more... "FREE as a Bird" VTI

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 17, 23 10:19 am     Reply with quote

If you have access to pavement, wing skating with a long board is fun too.

IMG_0470.jpeg 

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Feb 18, 23 7:27 am    use GE silicone on wingtips Reply with quote

Ya.. I found out the hard (literally) way. One good drag on the pavement, you run over the tip and go down, stiches break, and the bladder shows. I reinforced all my wing tips with a blob of 100% GE silicone and also on any seams that touch the ground. Mtn board on hard pavement is super fun but hard to find unobstructed wind. Sandbars and low tide at the coast! VTI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: