Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

crossbow.. lets hear a report
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Darwind

Since 24 Aug 2005
2 Posts

PostWed Aug 24, 05 2:30 pm    Mark Reply with quote

Mark

Was out at the Oldman Dam in southern Alberta on a16 on the weekend

Wind was 10 gusting 30, It was amazing. Total control even when the big gusts came through. Only kite out there, most kiters are afraid to kite there because of the gusty conditions. With the crossbow its kind of fun, you rig for holes and boost/fly to the moon in the gusts. Had the kite flip inside out once after a bad jump, no problem kite just popped back up with no crossed lines, It self launched down wind of me, let bar go, didnt even get dragged out of the water.

Google earth 49 34 47.36 N 114 02 27.86w
http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climateData/hourlydata_e.html
aug 20 05[/img]

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3678 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Aug 25, 05 7:32 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. I have wondered if the larger size of the 16 would cause the kite to "flip" inside out more often than the smaller 9 and 12.
So overall you are happy?

Darwind

Since 24 Aug 2005
2 Posts

PostThu Aug 25, 05 12:10 pm    crossbow insideout Reply with quote

Mark

Overall I think they are a great design, very happy with product so far.

I purchaseg 16, 12, 9, It will be interesting to see what kind of winds the 9 can handle.
With regard to the kite poping completely insisde out while flying through the powers zone sheeted out, this did not happen to me. It fell out of the sky after a bad jump, tumble in the air flipped inside out.

Re: popping inside out while flying… Im sure you have read this post http://nwkite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=544&highlight=crossbow

cheers

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostThu Aug 25, 05 9:29 pm     Reply with quote

So I've rode my 12M bow for the last 3 days. Sandbar 2 days ago, lulls of 12 gusts to 30, Manzanita yesterday 20-30, and Ft Stevens today 12-20. No problems inverting (pump those struts hard), amazing range and made for the waves. No more thinking about which kite to pump up, it's always the 12. There were a few guys out with us today on 15-17 fuels, about same weight, same board size as myself and I had no problem holding ground and matching their speeds. I'm just gonna get a 6 foot surfboard for the light days and my 125 TT for all else. It's the one kite quiver!

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3678 Posts
Naishaholic

PostThu Aug 25, 05 9:40 pm     Reply with quote

Not to give too much away but.... How much do u weigh? Can u ride a 12 when everyone else is on a 16 say at Sauvie's?
We need to meet up someday so I can sneak a ride on your kite.

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostThu Aug 25, 05 10:35 pm     Reply with quote

I'm 180. It's similar to a conventional 14 but turns way faster so apparent wind is a factor. I'm gonna sell my 16 Nemesis and just get a surfboard for the light days. It's boring for me to jump in light winds anyways so it's goodbye to the 16 and 21.

brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts
Running around the pool with scissors.

PostFri Aug 26, 05 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Karl, just ordered my 12m Crossbow today! Not sure when I'll get it though. Do you think a 12m bow and a Glide or skimboard will be enough on a typical Sauvie's day? I'm thinking of getting rid of my 16m if that is the case.

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostFri Aug 26, 05 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

Jethro wrote:
Hey Karl, just ordered my 12m Crossbow today! Not sure when I'll get it though. Do you think a 12m bow and a Glide or skimboard will be enough on a typical Sauvie's day? I'm thinking of getting rid of my 16m if that is the case.

That's exactly my plan. Big boards are where it's at for light wind and it takes 5 seconds to switch boards. Plus on the 12M bow when it does pick up and you're out on the big board no probs with getting overpowered. Cool

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3678 Posts
Naishaholic

PostFri Sep 02, 05 8:22 am     Reply with quote

When do most "new" kites come out? I saw spy pics of the slingshot "bow", I hear Naish has one as well. In fact Cabrinha has a switch blade model.
Will there be a revised edition or 2nd generation of Bow kite before next summer?

Ps any 16's local yet?

brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts

PostMon Sep 05, 05 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

Can anyone comment on the low end? Looking for specifics on the lowest wind someone has been able to stay upwind on using the 12m bow. Rider weight, board used etc. Thanks.

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostTue Sep 06, 05 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Jethro wrote:
Can anyone comment on the low end? Looking for specifics on the lowest wind someone has been able to stay upwind on using the 12m bow. Rider weight, board used etc. Thanks.

12M bow, weight 180, board 175 Wipika Switch (Olry style surf shape). Out at Sauvies I was about evenly matched with guys of similar size on 18's with 130's. You can sine this kite quickly to generate apparent wind. I'd like to go for an even bigger board, maybe more buoyant for lighter winds since the range of the kite is so huge.

mit_noslrac

Since 17 May 2005
108 Posts
Bend Oregon
Stoked

PostTue Sep 06, 05 10:53 am    BULLSHIT Reply with quote

Quote:
12M bow, weight 180, board 175 Wipika Switch (Olry style surf shape). Out at Sauvies I was about evenly matched with guys of similar size on 18's with 130's. You can sine this kite quickly to generate apparent wind. I'd like to go for an even bigger board, maybe more buoyant for lighter winds since the range of the kite is so huge.

BULLSHIT

Not to burst your bubble Karl but I was on a 15 meter ss 133cm board staying up wind and you were walking your 12m Crossbow up the beach! Shocked

Quote:
You can sine this kite quickly to generate apparent wind.

I call it working your kite because your not powered, dont bullshit the people!

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostTue Sep 06, 05 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

KiteKarl wrote:
Jethro wrote:

You were walking your kite up the beach too so cut the holier than thou crap.

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostTue Sep 06, 05 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

My point is that you can take out a very large board and not get overpowered when the wind comes up. My plan is to get a bigger board and have a 2 board one kite quiver. On a big surfboard in light conditions I'll challenge anyone on a 15M fuel with their standard TT with my 12M bow for upwind riding. Bring it biawwtch. Cool

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostWed Sep 07, 05 10:01 am     Reply with quote

KiteKarl wrote:
Jethro wrote:

And from Litewave Dave on the new GK Sonic:
Quote:

Ed,

Without having flown or seen one yet, I have to agree....I will push for a larger size. I did that with the Curl and GK built the 21m Curl....a great light wind kite.

After I get my Sonics and fly them and have some platform to talk from, I will most likely push for a 17m or so Sonic.

Mat, the designer, was out in Oz last week and said he was on the 11m Sonic while all the other guys were on 16-18m regular kites and he was staying upwind...he's probably about 180-pounds.

I see the first Sonic in 1-week at an English trade show....www.surfshopexpo.com I'll definitely report in after that.

-Litewave Dave

brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts

PostWed Sep 07, 05 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

didn't mean to start an unfriendly exchange, but thanks for the info. I guess I will just have to wait and see for myself. Waiting sucks. Crying or Very sad

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostWed Sep 07, 05 8:59 pm     Reply with quote

Jethro wrote:
didn't mean to start an unfriendly exchange, but thanks for the info. I guess I will just have to wait and see for myself. Waiting sucks. Crying or Very sad

Tim's my roomate and friend. Shit talking is mandatory in our house, never unfriendly, just reminders that gravity exists. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: