Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Must you ride so close to my student
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:53 am     Reply with quote

Smile

I guess we are not the only area w/ these types of problems..

Big issue w/ us as well.. Few great places for instructors to teach.. always best with boat/jetski support.. Always some that do the right things.. and a couple select individuals that do questionable stuff.

With our area becoming more populated its becoming a serious issue.

Forum chatter goes round and round.. and sometimes it does help.. not always tho.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:53 am     Reply with quote

boardrider wrote:
I know a number of instructors out in the gorge. They are all super cool x-cept ONE - If your the guy I'm thinking of:

Thats funny - that is also my experience. Every instructor seems to be fine - except one - he is definately an ass. Its like someone pisses in his cherios every morning right before he teaches.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:57 am     Reply with quote

bleighty wrote:
Smile
Forum chatter goes round and round.. and sometimes it does help.. not always tho.

True..as long as people don't start FLAMMING directly to people, groups or whoever. I think a hot topic is good for discussion. As long it does not turn into a topic "you suck jack ass, get out of my way." "I rule you suck." That is not productive.

Of course unless it is making fun a windsurfing..that is OK. Laughing

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:58 am     Reply with quote

boardrider wrote:
I know a number of instructors out in the gorge. They are all super cool x-cept ONE - If your the guy I'm thinking of:

1. Twisted Evil Don't expect to bring your students into the middle of the action and have people move out of your way. Especially on a crowded week-end. And - Shawn etc. WERE throwing trix in the upper kiddie pools.

2. Twisted Evil Dude - you are super rude. Don't yell at people - they can not hear you, and rudeness does not want to make people help you out.

3. Twisted Evil Don't insult people because they are thowing basic trix - ' we were all there once '. I have not seen you throw ANY non lame trix.

4. Razz Props for cleaning up the beach, but that does not entitle you to it.

5. Give your students what they are paying for - there are better places to learn when it's crowded.

My name is Chris - you only yelled my way once. It was last year. I was just learning to Raley, and you moved a student in, right in front of me. I didn't say anything and moved out of your way, but man I was pissed - and it takes some for me to get pissed. Evil or Very Mad I ALMOST confronted you on the beach afterward, but didn't want to ruin a good sesh. - I should have. Dude - you spread bad Karma. If you wan't to talk with people - talk with them on the beach calmly - don't yell and jesture frantically. If you want to talk with me, I'll be around.

It's about time.....
Thanks Chris...I'll drink to that... Drunk

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:02 am     Reply with quote

terremoto wrote:
boardrider wrote:

Thats funny - that is also my experience. Every instructor seems to be fine - except one - he is definately an ass. Its like someone pisses in his cherios every morning right before he teaches.

No asses allowed at the sandbar.....They belong at the farm.... Wink
No need for yelling and cursing...The sand bar is one cool place with a lot of cool people....One bad apple can cause all the apples to go bad.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:05 am     Reply with quote

Its nice to see that all you guys are ripping on someone who most likely doesn't even go on this forum, and who you obviously don't know. The sandbar IS his beach, and all the locals know and respect him. That is Mark the owner of the red kiteschool on the corner.

Change you additudes cause this isnt what this post was about in the first place.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:10 am     Reply with quote

You know what Trevor? you suck jack ass, get out of my way."

Just remember one thing "I rule you suck."

Laughing

I think its time to put the spit on lock down!

Crying or Very sad

P.S. that one instructor guy is a serious dick. Time to hide some rotting fish in that guys car.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:12 am     Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
Change you additudes cause this isnt what this post was about in the first place.

Agreed! otherwise I'm going to bring the smack down and call in the Kite Monitor!

kitemonitor_149.jpg 

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:13 am     Reply with quote

ok, this topic is really irritating to me, and i hate the people who come right next to shore to throw a simple raley or backroll, give me a break, if you want to come in and use the shallow water to progress, you should be working on F-16's, back mobes, s-bend to blind, raley to blind, flat-3, dangle handle pass, something that is actually is challenging to learn. Not some gay raley, or some gay unhooked jump cause you are too chicken sh** to do it out in the deep water for fear of having to swim and relaunch your kite. That IS LAME.

furthermore, i am not a professional instructor, but while i have been injured i have been teaching my brother and a friend to kite a bit. Now i personally think the sandbar is divided up into 1 beginner area on the northwest corner of the sandbar between the sandbar and the red buoy. The flatwater pool below that, and the mouth of the hood is all perfect flat water for people that want to ride there and show off. If you want to show off, go ride in the mouth of the Hood, there are tons more people with cameras, watching down at the marina beach anyway.

To all you nay sayers, that think teaching upwind on the northwest corner of the sandbar is not a good idea, well, you're just wrong. When i've been teaching a female friend of mine, i am pretty much holding on to the harness handle 100% of the time. I also make sure that we are far enough upwind so that a kite crash will not put anybody at risk that is sitting on the little sandbar jetty to the west of the pro pool. And if i'm holding onto the harness there is no way she is going to get dragged downwind in the flat water pool where people are throwing down.

RESPECT this division people. if you see somebody teaching give them some room. There is tons of it, and we've dedicated way more of the area around the sandbar to advanced riders. While i am teaching, since it is on a beater kite, i tell the person i'm teaching, look, if you bow tie your kite with them, it is their fault, the more advanced kiter should know they need to give beginners some room.

Clearly, the more advanced riders can see two people, one flying the kite and one holding on to the harness teaching WITHOUT a board. Obviously this should be a clear clear sign to give us some room. Just STAY AWAY from people learning.

I guess the bottom line is, if you want to come in and ride around people learning, you know the dangers and consequences, so if the person i'm teaching hits you with the kite, or bow ties with your kite, then it's your fault. Everyone that knows how to ride has had to learn and been at that stage before where they dont have total control of the kite; that is why i make sure and hold on to the harness of the person learning, so they dont go very far, but i can't 100% control where they fly the kite, or if they'll crash it.

Furthermore, I dont own a jetski, so i'm not taking people i teach up to wells island. I'm going to use the north western most point of the sandbar because i feel that should be the designated learning area. If you see me out there holding on to a harness and helping to relaunch a kite, is it soo much to ask, that you give me some room? Do you feel the need to throw down in the beginner area because you can't hang with the real riders down in the pro pool and out in the mouth of the Hood? That is what i think. There is plenty of room out in the river and it is much easier for more advanced riders to navigate and move around. I personally think kiting up to wells island is a piece of cake, it only takes me about 20 minutes and i can spend more time than that doing the downwinder back.

I'm just saying, share the river, dont be a prick, give people learning enough space there is plenty for all. If you want to throw down, go throw down w/ the boyz who ride the pro pool, and if they kick you out cause you suck, then go up to wells island and progress up there until you can come hang with the true shredders, we know who we are Wink

Last edited by magicmaker on Tue Jul 03, 07 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

tory

Since 08 Apr 2007
14 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:18 am     Reply with quote

Right on Ian! Totally agree. Just drop it, you all were learning at some point or another.

And Adam, way to right a novel bud. haha Smile

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:25 am     Reply with quote

hey, what can i say, i work at a computer all day, and can type pretty fast Very Happy

how is your head feeling? better i hope? did they give you a decent script for some pain meds Cool btw- that is a pretty cute avatar you got, looks a bazzillion times better than holly's Laughing

Last edited by magicmaker on Tue Jul 03, 07 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:25 am     Reply with quote

Magic, everyone is at there own level of progression. Just because you think a raley or backroll is lame, doesn't mean it isn't a difficult trick for that person. Everyone has been there at some point.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:29 am     Reply with quote

maybe you misinterpreted me, i didn't mean an attack on you or anybody else that is at that point learning, i just think it is kind of lame that people feel the need to come in and show off intermediate tricks they are learning in front of people trying to teach or where people are trying to teach.

Last year, i was at a point where i was crashing all the time, working on double back rolls, raley's, etc. I went up to wells island to progress because there was lots more room, less people, etc and it worked out really well for me.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:30 am     Reply with quote

magicmaker wrote:
ok, this topic is really irritating to me, and i hate the people who come right next to shore to throw a simple raley or backroll, give me a break, if you want to come in and use the shallow water to progress, you should be working on F-16's, back mobes, s-bend to blind, raley to blind, flat-3, dangle handle pass, something that is actually is challenging to learn. Not some gay raley, or some gay unhooked jump cause you are too chicken sh** to do it out in the deep water for fear of having to swim and relaunch your kite. That IS LAME.

What you're saying above is lame. What is cool to you isn't always what is cool to someone else. The rest of your post is awesome.

magicmaker wrote:
I'm just saying, share the river, dont be a prick, give people learning enough space there is plenty for all. If you want to throw down, go throw down w/ the boyz who ride the pro pool, and if they kick you out cause you suck, then go up to wells island and progress up there until you can come hang with the true shredders, we know who we are Wink

No one is going to kick anyone out of the Hood River mouth flat water area. Though, if you're a beginner you won't be able to stay upwind to begin with so it's none-issue.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:30 am     Reply with quote

There is only ONE owner of the sandbar, and that is....

THE DOGS

Sorry, couldn't resist. Wink

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:35 am     Reply with quote

i guess i should clarify, what i meant by a gay raley or gay unhooked jump.

gay raley == hooked in raley with no pop using the kite to get all your air.

gay unhooked jump == just jumping unhooked and not throwing anything. simply dangling and holding on the for the ride.

I just dont think there is any reason anybody should be in next to the shore learning how to do these tricks in flat water where people are trying to teach and also where it is dangerous for the person progressing with the new tricks. I just feel like these are moves that can easily be learned out in the channel or up at wells island. That's all, sorry for coming off edgy and agressive.

phil - you're right, the dogs own the beach, lmao

goddamned, i can't wait for work to be over today, i'm off until next monday so sorry for being a little ansy on the forum this morning.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:47 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
There is only ONE owner of the sandbar, and that is....

THE DOGS

Sorry, couldn't resist. Wink

Quick - someone better lock this thread before all the barking dogs get their paws on it Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: