Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Good Leash Set Up For Beg. Who Like their Boards.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostTue Jul 03, 07 8:04 am     Reply with quote

I only disagree that the statement that their is absolutly no need for them. I agree you should never do tricks(kite loop) with a leash. It is like rideing in shallows a calculated risk one of the richmond bros got hurt in the shallows so it is not all about skill. But in situations like cold water strong current and no jumping a leash is somthing that a person may want to think about. My retractable leash has saved me lots of times if I drop a kite I can clip into it and forget about the board after the kite is in the air i usually unclip. This spring the wind died and my kite fell It took me probablly 20 min to relaunch(waiting for a gust) If after that I would have had to body drag in I would not only have lost a board but would have been dangerously cold their was no one around and I was up by wells Is.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 03, 07 8:20 am     Reply with quote

tstansbury wrote:
one of the richmond bros got hurt in the shallows so it is not all about skill.

Just FYI, he was in the shallows, but it wasn't the shallow water that hurt him. It was a combination of leg position and landing flat on the surface of the water.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 03, 07 8:22 am     Reply with quote

registered wrote:
three years and still a board leash ? Maybe some more lessons Shocked

Nope, don't need anymore lessons. As another has pointed out on this thread - I will not be shamed into something I don't want to do. I don't care what others think of my leash. I like it and in three years it has never given me a problem.

The main danger in using a leash is having the board snap back at you and hit you in the head, neck, back, whatever. However, this will really only happen when you get seriously lofted. Similar to Bulae I created a connection point that will make the board pop off my leash when I get seriously lofted. Its not as fancy as Bulae's, but it definately works. It has worked many times when I got lofted - and thats when I body dragged upwind to get my board.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 03, 07 8:24 am     Reply with quote

Jessie got hurt because his board hit the water flat, it wasn't the ground. He was in about 2 feet of water when he landed. I have it on video, you hear him yell when the board slaps the water. I also talked to him about it this weekend.

I agree if you are carrying a leash because it works well when relaunching / self rescuing that's a good use of it.

Its still my opinion that after your first couple of seshs in the water get rid of the leash. Or better yet learn without it altogether. If you ride near other folks, people should be keeping an eye on you and your board (that's everybody's responsibility to look out for one another.)

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostTue Jul 03, 07 8:55 am     Reply with quote

my bad on the richmond eg. but my point is their is a calculated risk to shawllow water.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:02 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
IIf you ride near other folks, people should be keeping an eye on you and your board (that's everybody's responsibility to look out for one another.)

Agree, I carried a guys board in as he was having issues relaunching, just rode over to him, and told him it was on the beach and told him just body drag over to it, once you get your kite relauched.

And for the Well's Island lost board, and what Phil said, if you kite around people this should not be a problem.

And yes in 3 years you may not have had a problem either. People smoke for 30 years 2 packs a day without issues too..But their luck may run out someday. Does not mean we should encourage it or provide ideas of "Safe ways" to clip on a leash.

Getting hit by the board is not limited to loafting events..
if you get dragged thru the water fast, and the board is skimming across the top of the water behind you, and you stop, guess what isn't stopping?
In waves, and your board is pulled down by a wave, guess who is being helddown/pulled down with it?

I don't understand the kite relaunch part, but if you have your board already, why do you need to click in? But as long as your not using it while riding..I guess it could be OK. Question

Trevor--

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:17 am     Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:

I don't understand the kite relaunch part, but if you have your board already, why do you need to click in? But as long as your not using it while riding..I guess it could be OK. Question

Trevor--

If you just mess up a trick and fall off your board and your board is right by you - its very convenient to just clip your board to your leash and then launch your kite. This way you have both hands and 100% of your attention on your kite.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:20 am     Reply with quote

why not just put the board on your feet before you relaunch? no leash and board to reel in once your kite is in the air. Say your kite hot-launches while your board is on a leash it will come after you. Once you stop, like was said earlier, guess what isn't stopping.
Last edited by Spike on Tue Jul 03, 07 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:22 am     Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:

And yes in 3 years you may not have had a problem either. People smoke for 30 years 2 packs a day without issues too..But their luck may run out someday. Does not mean we should encourage it or provide ideas of "Safe ways" to clip on a leash.

Yes, you may very well be right - my luck may run out someday. And then I will get on this forum and post why you should dump your leash Laughing

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:29 am     Reply with quote

spike their are times when relaunching requires swimming fast or when you may be waiting a long time to get a relaunch most times leaving the board on your feat works or just relaunching and then getting you board. But you will find times when your board makes relaunching much harder .

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:29 am     Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
why not just put the board on your feet before you relaunch? no leash and board to reel in once your kite is in the air. Say your kite hot-launches while your board is on a leash it will come after you. Once you stop, like was said earlier, guess what isn't stopping.

See this is why you should be "Rookie of the year"..a beginner that is making more sense than the veterans.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:30 am     Reply with quote

Spike wrote:

I've gotten hot launched while I was relaunching many of times. I have a reel leash with about 8 ft. of tether and I put about two feet of bungee attached to my board (I attach the bungee to the board and then the reeling leash to the bungee).

Again - I have a system where the reel leash pops off from the bungee under high stress situations (hot launch and so forth).

In addition - the 10 feet or so between me and my board has always been more than sufficient in a hot launch situation where my leash does not pop off.

As for the bungee - its designed to disipate some of the energy in a fall. People have asked me - doesn't the bungee make it more dangerous because it will snap at you more? No, its actually a matter of basic physics. Energy cannot be destroyed - but it can be disipated. If you pull on a bungee with 10 pounds of force - it will snap back with 9 pounds of force. This is because the bungee is not 100% efficient. Some of the energy is disipated - For example, some of the energy gets turned into heat and sound. So the bungee acts as an energy absorbing part of the leash.

As for keeping the board on your feet while you relaunch. Yes, thats totally doable. But its a matter of preference. I would prefer not to worry about it and have all of my attention on my kite.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:32 am     Reply with quote

tstansbury wrote:
spike their are times when relaunching requires swimming fast or when you may be waiting a long time to get a relaunch most times leaving the board on your feat works or just relaunching and then getting you board. But you will find times when your board makes relaunching much harder .

When is it harder to relaunch your kite with a board? Either you have a 5th line or a bow kite. Neither one of those require a swim, and if for some weird reason you did need to swim, just put your head down, board in raley position, and swim. People that wear bindings do it, you don't see them pulling the board off, hooking to leash, swimming, then putting the board back on.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:40 am     Reply with quote

I can understand having a leash for attaching to your board after you fall. It is not nesseicary, but if you are self rescuing and you want to have something simple to tie your leash to then great.

What I don't understand is the comments about oh, I don't leash up when I am going to jump. I have posted this before, but I had a pretty nice gash on my knee from getting yanked off the board, the borad submarined momentarily, then snapped back at me. The board or fins carved a nice scar out of the back of my knee.

When this happened I had a real leash, attached to a bungee, attached to something that should break when too much stress was applied. I guess it didn't work the way it should have.

And I am not saying this at all because it doesn't look cool, I am saying it because shit happens and people get hurt. I wear a life jacket and helmet all the time. I am probably one of the best swimmers on the river, used to swim in college, and was a lifeguard for a long time. But again, shit happens so I wear a jacket. I hope I never need it, but I will look goofy for the off chance that at some point I will.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:48 am     Reply with quote

Kodiak wrote:
I have posted this before, but I had a pretty nice gash on my knee from getting yanked off the board, the borad submarined momentarily, then snapped back at me. The board or fins carved a nice scar out of the back of my knee.

When this happened I had a real leash, attached to a bungee, attached to something that should break when too much stress was applied. I guess it didn't work the way it should have.

Kodiak - can you explain what happened it greater detail? How did the board get so submerged in the water?

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:27 am     Reply with quote

The people that saw it happen, said the board wsa skimming the water behind me, then the nose hit a piece of swell and submerged. After enough force built up on the leash it popped out of the water and flew at the back of my leg.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 03, 07 10:31 am     Reply with quote

Kodiak wrote:
The people that saw it happen, said the board wsa skimming the water behind me, then the nose hit a piece of swell and submerged. After enough force built up on the leash it popped out of the water and flew at the back of my leg.

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the description of the incident.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: