Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Some Dogs at the Sandbar
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 25, 07 9:46 am    Some Dogs at the Sandbar Reply with quote

Alright man, I got bit on Saturday. Not bad, but one of the dog's teeth broke the skin and I bled a little, the dog got away before I could boot it out into the channel. I came up and told you your dog bit me hoping you'd do something about it besides giving her a "BAD NELLY". Then I watched you dogs chase Shawn Richman and Davey Blair during their photo shoot only they were traveling a lot faster.

That is bullshit, if your dog bites someone they need to be put away. For the safety of us and your dogs you need to stop them from doing this shit.

Are there are leash laws that apply to the sandbar? I bring my room mates dog and if I'm kiting or can't watch her for some other reason, she's on a leash.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Jun 25, 07 11:05 am     Reply with quote

Damn man, that's fucked up. I like dogs, but if someone's dog decided to bite me while I was riding, or even standing around, I'd beat the shit out of it (and right in front of them). Fuckin' retards!

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostMon Jun 25, 07 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Damn Forest...Dude that sucks....

Here's a short line-up...Let me know which one of these bit you...

Was it this one....
 Was it this one....  CHIHUAHUA.jpg 
How about this one.....
 How about this one.....  Pitbull-2-CR.jpg 
Maybe it was this one.....
 Maybe it was this one.....  pug.jpg 

scooter

Since 23 Apr 2005
99 Posts
hood River

PostMon Jun 25, 07 11:48 am     Reply with quote

AMEN, leave your dog at home!!!! I was out on the spit watching shawn Richman killing it when this yellow lab charged him and hit his chest while he was doing mach 3. I thought they were both gonners, unfortunately the dog survived but obviously didnt learn his lesson.
NO MORE DOGS AT THE SPIT!
FOR OUR AND YOUR DOGS SAFTEY! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

crasher

Since 21 Jul 2005
23 Posts
Long Island, NY

PostMon Jun 25, 07 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

You guys are absolutely right. There is absolutely no excuse for a dog owner to bring an aggressive dog somewhere that they could cause harm to an innocent bystander. And there is no excuse for a dogs owner to allow him to jump up on somebody or bite somebody etc.

As a dog owner and a dog lover though, I have to say, after living in New York where everywhere I turn it seems that I see a NO DOGS sign, one of the things I like best about Hood River is that is is very dog-friendly. I think it is so cool to see all the dogs running around playing and swimming. Please don't let a couple of bad dogs spoil it for the rest.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 25, 07 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

sure, bring em on down.

but know this:

1. your dog bites me, i bite YOU back, right on your wallet. unless the dog is loaded, then i bite him in his wallet.

2. your dog f/u my kite, see No. 1 above.

seems fair, huh?

jimmi

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jun 25, 07 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

Jimmi,

Sounds perfectly reasonable... your tone is a bit aggressive though, regardless, everytime i bring my dogs in public I assume a certain amount of liablitly. At the sandbar i assume i might end up buying a kite, i would also assume that if they did any bodily harm then i would be responsible for that as well which is no different that I would expect off the sandbar

As far as Kataku is concerned, kicking the shit out of a dog would be most impressive and an incredibly manly thing to do, defending yourself against an aggressive dog is completely understandable, kicking the shit out a dog that thinks they are having fun and does not know anybetter is different. Come kick the shit out of the owner as we are the one who deserve it. You will have an easier time catching me than my mutts....

Forrest sorry to hear this happened you as you have been a very understanding on the dog side of things, I am just happy it wasn't my dog!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Jun 25, 07 12:45 pm     Reply with quote

Okay, dog first, owner second... You think I'm kidding though... I've got one of the worst tempers, ever! Not trying to "brag" or anything, but I'd seriously lose it and then probably get arrested. Those who know me well, know! lol

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jun 25, 07 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

owner first then dog if you havent had enough, the dog is being a dog, it is the owners fault or are you the kind of guy that kicks the shit out the guy screwing your girlfriend?

watch your temper, if you end up getting carted off the sandbar in cuffs you will be the only "fucking retard" in that scenario...

all fun aside, barring enforcement of a leash law dogs will be running free on the sandbar. all dog owners should do whatever is necessry to minimize the impact. most of us are reasonable and are open to any comments, suggestions or concerns.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 25, 07 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

Yea, I bring my roommate's dog down to the spit, I would pay for a new kite if she stepped through the canopy of someone else's kite. I have been known to get her out at Lyle and have it chase ME back and forth to wear that sucker out cause he's not even a year old. But if I'm going to do anything where I can't focus on her, she gets strapped to a stump or a stick buried in the sand.

Worst thing about this, I wasn't kiting, I was just skim boarding at the edge of the kiddie pool. This one incident has changed my entire opinion of the issue. Only because the dogs were so persistent and they obviously were acting as a pack.

jack wrote:

Forrest sorry to hear this happened you as you have been a very understanding on the dog side of things, I am just happy it wasn't my dog!

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jun 25, 07 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

yeah too bad all the stumps and logs are gone at the sandabr.... ;0 but i do agree with you 100%. that level of persistence should not go unnoticed by an owner/owners and the dogs should be restrained...

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 25, 07 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

jack wrote:
Come kick the shit out of the owner as we are the one who deserve it. You will have an easier time catching me than my mutts....

Right on, maybe that would have made things a little more clear that I wanted their dog locked up.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 25, 07 1:31 pm    Re: Some Dogs at the Sandbar Reply with quote

[quote="Forrest"]

That is bullshit, if your dog bites someone they need to be put away. For the safety of us and your dogs you need to stop them from doing this shit.

quote]

Forrest: Perhaps people with dogs that kite and allow their dogs to roam free on the sand bar while they kite might hear what you are saying if you drew a parallel?

Let me give it a shot. Here is a fictitious story:

Two stressed-out working parents have a short window of opportunity to try and get some good food and quality time together. Maybe somewhere out on the back deck of a restaurant. It is warm and sunny out. Perhaps they could neither afford or find a babysitter, so they bring the kids along. While at the outside table, the parents, more into themselves, leave the kids at the table while they go inside the restaurant to the bar for awhile. The next thing you know one kid is biting one patron, the other is talking to another patron of an abutting table, all the while pulling fries off her plate and eating them. Finally, the smallest one is tripping the waitress, who, at the time, was pouring a hot coffee refill and spilled on another patron's linen clothes, burning him in the process.

Eventually, the parents come back and can't believe the destruction that took place in such a short amount of time. Patrons are pissed and might not come back to the restaurant. Man with the burns and damaged linens seeks $$$ for medical bills etc. . . Man with the burns attorney uses classic shotgun deep pockets suing tactic, so restaurant is pulled into the law suit as well the patrents. Restaurant changes into a full bar only; 21 and over policy enforced. Waitress losses job at restaurant due to decrease revenue from new 21 and over policy.

So dog owners, please don't leave your dogs unattended or if you do, chain them up and somewhat away from the landing and launching area. Bottom line it is not considerate to others or even your dog for that matter.

**No offense to any and all parents out there and I do like dogs.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostMon Jun 25, 07 1:49 pm     Reply with quote

Seriously - Forest, sucks you got bit by a pooch..."Bad Nelly" is not good enough...You should have told the owner to put that dog on a leash asap, or you will have to report the situation to the port authorities and that you will press charges...I think it's the responsability of the dog owner 110%....
From a personal perspective, I'm a dog owner - 6 1/2 month old choc lab...My dog cann't even hurt a fly...He's crazy about water and all he wants to do is play...But realistically speaking, I'm there to kite...I'm not there to take care of my dog...Thats why I leave him at the house...
There is always a time and place for everything...

Above all - you just don't kick the shit out of a dog (unless he has his chomppers locked on to your kite or on your arm and he's got foam coming out of his mouth)...Dogs don't know any better...Instead, Find the owner and give them hell for not controling there dog....

I don't mind kiting around a beach with a pack of dogs w/out a leash....I think it's pretty cool...The more the better...I just don't like seeing dogs chasing kites, stepping on kites, and biting people...Common sense...
Forest, dude - hope you don't get rabies....Or turn into a hairy wolf...
Wink

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 25, 07 1:56 pm     Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
Or turn into a hairy wolf...
Wink

Actually, that might be pretty cool. I'd probably get super strength to go along with it and in these days of tolerance, I'd probably get a handicapped parking spot and get to star in all the horror movies!

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostMon Jun 25, 07 1:56 pm     Reply with quote

NO DOG's PERIOD unless secured. I love dogs, but I would not unleash my dog at the spit or anywhere else unattended cause I could not watch her..so I don't bring her.

Roaming dogs:
chase kites in and out of the water
get tangled up your lines are they are chasing other kiters or dogs
poop without cleaning up after themselves
piss on kites
and who knows what else cause no one is watching them!

Sorry to hear you got bit..make sure to keep that clean.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Jun 25, 07 2:13 pm     Reply with quote

This is what Payday (9 years old) does at Lyle...

And this is what Callaway (1 year old) does after some running around...

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Mon Jun 25, 07 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: