Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How do you roll?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

How do you roll?
Regular foot, right handed
44%
 44%  [ 19 ]
Regular foot, left handed
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Goofy foot, right handed
39%
 39%  [ 17 ]
Goofy foot, left handed
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 43

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Jun 22, 07 7:46 am    How do you roll? Reply with quote

We all know that goofy footers rule, Wink but Barfly and I were arguing the other day about who ultimately rules; left-handed goofies or right-handed goofies.

First I thought it would be interesting to see how things stack up in the population. Thanks for being part of the census.

Smile

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Jun 22, 07 7:53 am     Reply with quote

Of course Goofy riders have more style. Very Happy Twisted Evil Mad Very Happy Exclamation Rolling Eyes

Left-foot forward is just plain, regular.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 22, 07 8:03 am     Reply with quote

sometimes on a N at the coast, I wish I wasn't so goofy....
learning switch though...but I have to say, I look goofy riding regular....

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Jun 22, 07 8:39 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
sometimes on a N at the coast, I wish I wasn't so goofy....

yeah, and ?

What about pounding over the nice kicker-waves heelside, air-ing....going-out past the break....then when you are ready to come-in.....you are toe-side, pulling into some decent wavs while sheeting out.

but, yeah...being able to ride down-the-line lefty would be nice...
-gotta wait for the winter "storm-sessions" and those southerlies Very Happy

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 22, 07 10:29 am     Reply with quote

No shit chanson, if I was goofy hitting the waves like kickers would be the shit. I've been trying to develop my switch ollie. I look like an idiot riding starboard bouncing like a kangaroo but it's the only way to get them down.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Jun 22, 07 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been trying to develop my switch ollie.

We used to try and ollie switch on a skateboard.....like nollie....
Now thats some hard shit!!

Try just going bigger on your fakie 180's during a transition...snap, krackle, POP.
-for some weird reason, I am more comfortable popping 180 left-foot forward to goofy....???hmmmm?

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostFri Jun 22, 07 2:01 pm    Re: How do you roll? Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
We all know that goofy footers rule, Wink

Goofies do rule! But I never understood why having your right foot forward is considered goofy? If your right hand is considered normal, why is your right foot goofy?

Are soccer players goofy if they kick with their right foot?

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Jun 22, 07 2:12 pm     Reply with quote

hmm...good question.

I think it goes back to skating/surfing....most people rode left-foot forward, which I guess was regular....anything else would be "goofy"

I first heard the term in skating, when we were on old Vision Joe Johnsons, and Christian Hosoi' Taco board. All my friends were regular except like 3 of us, and we were "goofy"

But, yeah, not sure why..?

This might sound kinda dumb...but when I used to teach ski/wakeboard lessons.....we would make the person stand with both feet together facing away from us.....Then we would sneek up behind them and shove them.
-Whichever foot they put forward first was thier stance.

Try it, not sure it will still work. Very Happy

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Jun 22, 07 2:20 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry, my turd-Boss is out of town, so I have nothing to do and I am trying to leave.....I am really not this much of a nerd

Found this online.

here's three tricky ways to figure out how you will most likely feel most comfortable standing on your board:

ONE - go get a ball or something like that, and sit it on the ground in front of you. Now kick it. Whichever foot you kicked it with will likely be your back foot. You want the balancing foot in the front, and the kicking foot in the back.

TWO - go to a staircase, and walk up it. What foot did you use to step up the FIRST step? That's likely your back foot.

THREE - this one's hard, because once you read it you'll know the trick. So just read this first spot and then stop when I tell you to stop. Go find someone, stand with both your feet close together, and ask them to shove you from behind. Go do this now -- STOP READING! Ok, so hopefully you didn't just fall over. You should have caught yourself with one foot. The foot you used to catch yourself is likely the foot you'd put in back.

Just like most people are right handed, most people are regular footed. That's why it's called regular. Just remember that there's no RIGHT way to do it. If all of these tricks tell you that you are regular, but you just like riding goofy, then ride goofy!

????????????????????Can I go kite now?

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSat Jun 23, 07 4:45 am    Re: How do you roll? Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:
Wind Slither wrote:
We all know that goofy footers rule, Wink

Goofies do rule! But I never understood why having your right foot forward is considered goofy? If your right hand is considered normal, why is your right foot goofy?

Are soccer players goofy if they kick with their right foot?

Having your right fooot forward is considered goofy, because you want your "strong" foot to be in the power/control position. Think about when you carve a turn or pressure for a jump, it is your back foot that supplies the important pressure and control.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSat Jun 23, 07 5:48 am     Reply with quote

NFW! The regulars have moved ahead!

Maybe the real poll question is; do you ride strong foot forward or strong foot back.

Question Rolling Eyes Question

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Jun 23, 07 6:31 am    amberdextrious Reply with quote

an easy way to improve your opposite stance is when you jump up on your surfboard the shoulder you throw foward first will determine which foot goes forward

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Jun 23, 07 8:25 am     Reply with quote

In Minnesota it was whatever foot you put foreward when running and sliding on ice patches. Or on hardwood or hard surface flooring.Wink

Its tough for me ,regular footed, to ride down the line in the south wind. Snowkiting same deal easier to turn and carve one way than the other.

unfortunately it seems to be all mental and weakness. There is no physical reason just learned mental barriers and awkwardness.

kind of like trying to use you none dominate hand. When wakeboarding there is always 4 ways to do the same jump , two directions from two foot foreward positions each. you don't have it dialed till you nail all 4.

Goofy or regular name says it all , its a natural choice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: