Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

For Sale/Buy question - Gorge Area Related

previous topic :: next topic  
taycar

Since 11 Jan 2010
104 Posts
PDX
Stoked

PostSun Jan 17, 21 9:33 am    For Sale/Buy question - Gorge Area Related Reply with quote

Anyone have advice or recommendations for selling/purchasing land in the Gorge? Any insight on for sale by owner? Or a real estate agent that you would brag about?

I've been doing the google search thing but have not found something/someone that feels right.

Word and thanks!

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
208 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostSun Jan 17, 21 10:28 am    Realtor Reply with quote

I am a Realtor.

Rich McBride
Copper West

Buying anything in Hood River county is a sellers market. More buyers than sellers. Inventory is low.
Search Craigslist and Gorgenet classifieds for FSBO property.
Realtor.com is pretty up to date.

Anything that is a good deal is usually gone quickly.
Good deal is a relative term.
Prices are increasing more than 5% per year, general statement about overall market.

Get your finances lined up in advance.
Identify your needs and desires.
Good luck

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
252 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostSun Jan 17, 21 2:01 pm    LAND Reply with quote

Hood river is full. Stay in portland

taycar

Since 11 Jan 2010
104 Posts
PDX
Stoked

PostMon Jan 18, 21 11:45 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and advice. I will take it and act upon it, especially that second one Very Happy

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1446 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 19, 21 10:35 pm     Reply with quote

Hood River was full years ago before all the transplants who think they are locals moved into town. It was nice when we had the town in the 90’s and has progressively become not near as cool a town in my opinion. Anyone remember the local discount we got at the gas station. Was sure nice when you were making 8 bucks an hour at the mountain All these peepes who moved in 10 years ago and now treat the other newcomers as if they are encroaching on their town they did the same thing too!!!

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
252 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed Jan 20, 21 2:02 pm    local Reply with quote

Sorry been here more then 10 years. i am just a old grump and hate everyone.
Remember when post canyon wasn't crowded ? Back in the 90's

bfb38

Since 02 Sep 2016
52 Posts

PostThu Jan 21, 21 5:30 am     Reply with quote

I wonder where members of the native community stand on this subject.

I was once told by an acquaintance who grew up in town that the worst people are the ones who have been here for 10 years and think they’re local. That was difficult to hear as someone working in the public school system locally, paying rent, building trails, patronizing local businesses, etc. It shook my confidence a bit in my desire to move to town, but there are people like that everywhere. Funny that they never seem to bring up how their property values are doing when people complain about the newcomers.

But Hood River is crowded, move to the Dalles!

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
252 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 21, 21 7:00 am    localism Reply with quote

Yes I am shocked at the housing price. My neighbors pay more then double in rent that i pay in mortgage. Its dumb.
How does the average person afford to live here?
This remote working is killing the town's soul.

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
77 Posts

PostThu Jan 21, 21 8:39 am    Real Estate Reply with quote

bfb38 wrote:
I wonder where members of the native community stand on this subject.

I was once told by an acquaintance who grew up in town that the worst people are the ones who have been here for 10 years and think they’re local. That was difficult to hear as someone working in the public school system locally, paying rent, building trails, patronizing local businesses, etc. It shook my confidence a bit in my desire to move to town, but there are people like that everywhere. Funny that they never seem to bring up how their property values are doing when people complain about the newcomers.

But Hood River is crowded, move to the Dalles!

You nailed it. People bitch and scream about non-locals then quietly sell their 2 bed, 1 bath, 1930's shithole cottage with no garage and half the roof missing for $750k. It's very hypocritical to complain and then contribute directly to the problem by overpricing your house. In my experience, many of the realtors in the gorge are greedy, irresponsive (probably out kiting), unmotivated, unprofessional, and just want to make the deals happen - not necessarily looking out for your best interest. In fact, one said flat out racist comments to me for being middle eastern. They don't seem very motivated to work FOR you or negotiate on your behalf. However, there are a couple good ones.

My advice is to go directly to the selling agent and have your team of lenders and inspectors ready to go. Mike Ellsworth with HR Mortgage group is honest and fantastic to work with. James Hecker with Highmark Inspections is a great home inspector who charges very reasonable prices. He's also well connected and can put you in touch with trusted contractors or specialty inspectors. Real estate isn't as complicated as folks make it out to seem. In fact, Zillow has started making cash offers to sellers directly, eliminating the middlemen and staging process entirely. The world is changing - gotta adapt.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
273 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jan 21, 21 8:53 am     Reply with quote

HR is becoming a “Portland & California” bedroom community. Give it another 10 years and then you’ll really know crowded.

I work in town, am not local, but ask a lot of people where they’re from. An amazing number say “I’m local”, but my main residence is... It’s an eye opener. People like to say “I’m local” but their definition varies far from being born here. Of the people I work with, only one was born here (1 outta 15). If you weren’t born here, you’re not local in my opinion. And why, is it a “sin” to live here and not be local? Why not just say, we have a “second home here” or, I’m originally from .....

I imagine if the place you’re living is considered “cool” then saying you’re local, when clearly you were not born there, makes you sound hip or something?

I’m kind of a live-and-let-live person but I gotta say, it’s annoying when wealthy people own 2 or more houses, one here and another elsewhere, and people who actually live here FT can’t find a place to live. There are houses sitting empty while people struggle to find places that are affordable.

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
547 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostThu Jan 21, 21 9:27 am     Reply with quote

classic case of supply & demand

BeatrixKiddo

Since 21 Feb 2012
18 Posts
Washington Side

PostThu Jan 21, 21 1:47 pm    Re: For Sale/Buy question - Gorge Area Related Reply with quote

taycar wrote:
I've been doing the google search thing but have not found something/someone that feels right.

Your feelings don't matter for the topic at hand. Cash and good credit is king. If you don't have those two the Gorge will spit your feelings out like a stiff rum cocktail into the nasty toilets @ Jack's Golden Rose lounge.

Gorge living is now 6-figure income to live comfortable. Loan values start @ $3k per month being 36% of income with perfect credit. All others sign 12-month rental contracts. The days of people moving to the gorge and operating ski lifts, or slinging food, to survive has been cancelled. The HUD and Section 8 wait list is 6-12 months out and even though you're gainfully employed they are your biggest competition for supply when the government kicks down up to $2.5k a month to help offset. You go up or down, there is no middle class. You become a slave to fit into a requirement box. You lose motivation to work because more money is a risk to your stipend. You'll never reach the $650k admission price for HR so you google why owning a home is now not a priority for millennials and you feel happy as you burn another rent check. It's a lie. It's so bad Wishram is booming. Flipping Wishram, who would have thought?

It's all good in da Hood! Yippee!!! Rolling Eyes

Rant over. The struggle is real and Goldendale is nice. I wish you happiness in your decision.
Gorge single mother of 1 spitting truth

Last edited by BeatrixKiddo on Fri Jan 22, 21 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
578 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jan 21, 21 4:22 pm    Re: For Sale/Buy question - Gorge Area Related Reply with quote

taycar wrote:
Anyone have advice or recommendations for selling/purchasing land in the Gorge? Any insight on for sale by owner? Or a real estate agent that you would brag about?

Word and thanks!

The fact you are asking these questions suggests you might be a first time buyer.

#1 - Get a realtor you trust. For sale by owner usually just means seller looking to prey on someone who either doesn't know what they are doing, or someone who doesn't have the ability to utilize normal financing. Either way, seller is looking for a victim.

#2 - Don't bite off more than you can chew. A home is an investment (likely the biggest one you will ever make). Don't turn it into a money loser if your financial situation changes.

#2a - know the full cost of ownership. Loan, taxes, repairs (roofs can be very expensive). Make sure you have your budget in line.

#3 - Figure out what you want:
- A fixer upper takes a lot of time and money, but can result in excellent returns
- How important is a view?
- How important is it to be close to night life?
- How important is it to be close to your favorite kite spot?
- How important is the local educational system?
- Do you plan to live here forever, or turn it in a few years for something better?

Once you have figured all that out, then you are ready to narrow down regions:
Hood River, The Dalles, Rufus, Arlington, Stevenson, White Salmon, Lyle, Wishram

Good luck. 20 years from now you will thank yourself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> For Sale All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: